FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea May 4th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Had 20 minutes sleep
To judge from a text, that sleep was 20 minutes on the floor of a bus shelter.

rb58

Enigma
Many others’ account of FNRttC Southend edition will serve better than mine. But I thought I’d record my thoughts anyway as this is one of my favourites, and I feel privileged to have been part of it. It’s my favourite for two reasons. Firstly, Southend was my first FNRttC a couple of years ago. And secondly, I was brought up in the Southend area so the sights and sounds have other meanings for me.
It was good, as it always is, to catch up with old friends and to meet ‘to-be’ friends under the arch. After all, the ride is as much about people as it is about bikes.

Others have described the route and events of the night so I won’t repeat, but I just love the second half. We rode past the house where my mother was born in Daws Heath, between which and the Peculiar People’s chapel is squeezed the tiny burial ground where at least half of the occupants are my ancestors; we rode past the ‘rec’ where I first learned to ride a bike in; past the house where my parents were sleeping unaware of the melee passing through just a few yards away; past the cockle sheds where I acquired my hatred for cockles; past the Crocket Billet pub in Old Leigh which was a regular from my school years; past Teef taking pictures of the ice cream in the café window in Old Leigh where I used to buy honeycomb as a kid; past the spot on the beach at Westcliff where we’d go midnight swimming with the gang from the ‘youth club’. Memories all. Lots of them.

I TEC-ed for the second half and I take my hat off to Adam and Titus for the fantastic encouragement they gave to those riders towards the back who were beginning to struggle. Those of us who regularly do long bike rides sometime forget how much of a challenge the FNRttC distances can be for newer riders and help and encouragement like that can make all the difference between finishing and not finishing. Enjoying it and not enjoying it. Having a sense of achievement instead of a sense of disappointment.

This was to be 50th ‘century’ ride, so I was determined to ride back home afterwards. Four of us set off shortly after breakfast and as we swooped down Bread and Cheese hill the rain had started to ease and it had stopped entirely by the time we got to Pitsea. We successfully negotiated the roundabouts at Basildon which often confuse, but one of our number failed to negotiate the Grays one-way system and took a minor detour. I’ll leave you to guess which one of us it was….

I spent the rest of the day lunching, eating cake and drinking coffee in and around Greenwich with my sweetheart Kim, which rounded off a rather splendid day.
Thanks go as always to Simon for organising. And to those who provided the catering at half way and at the end. But a big thanks to all of the other riders – it just wouldn’t be the same without you all.

Cheers
Ross

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1837220 said:
I am going to add one more memory of the night. For anyone who was at the back after Romford, "Run Forest Run". Even though we worried about the putatively missing Halls, I had to wipe tears of laughter.

lol indeed. He was hilariously funny.

Louise is too modest to say this but she wasn't on this ride because she was riding the Brevet Cymru, 400k around Wales with 4,900m of ascent from Chepstow. She had gear troubles and had to walk a lot. She finished the 400k with 40 minutes to spare. Had 20 minutes sleep. Read those two sentences again.
I am still recovering from last weekend's Hull to London ride. She, plainly, has recovered.

These posts should come with a warning. "Sit before reading" Absolutely awesome - both Louise and you. If I see a bus stop with a Teasmade in it, I'll know that Louise has been there!

Well done - fantastic achievements.

Mice

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1837220 said:
I am going to add one more memory of the night. For anyone who was at the back after Romford, "Run Forest Run". Even though we worried about the putatively missing Halls, I had to wipe tears of laughter.
giggling like a loon. again.

TimO

Guru
People in LMNH, and possibly visiting other cyclists houses, need to learn how to lock their phones! If I accidentally left mine unattended, it'll lock itself in a couple of minutes.

I am however amazed that my camera didn't acquire any new photos whilst I was in the loo, or ordering food, at LMNHs. It's happened before! (The phone has no lock, so I'm stymied unless I go to the loo taking all my belongings with me!).

Your trusted friends around the table at LokMumNoHandset would not dream of acting in such an irresponsible manner, Tim.

Ross - that's a really nice write up. Thank you. You did relate the story about your bloodline 'en route', but it is nice to see it on these pages. In fact, we saw quite a lot of peculiar - the only thing missing was stumbling upon policemen on the job undercover apparently.

And did you notice that the café in Old Leigh has named all of its ice creams after you, Ross?:smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Aberlour A'bunadh is a natural, single cask strength malt whisky, bottled directly from sherry casks and undiluted - hence the high alcoholic strength. It's not chill-filtered either, thus preserving the richness and flavour of the sherry. Deep amber in colour, Aberlour A'bunadh is a superb after dinner Friday Night Ride to the Coast malt.

£29.25 a bottle in Waitrose until Tuesday 8th May.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012

wanda2010

Guru
Louise is too modest to say this but she wasn't on this ride because she was riding the Brevet Cymru, 400k around Wales with 4,900m of ascent from Chepstow. She had gear troubles and had to walk a lot. She finished the 400k with 40 minutes to spare. Had 20 minutes sleep. Read those two sentences again.
I am still recovering from last weekend's Hull to London ride. She, plainly, has recovered.

Mucho congrats Louise!

TimO

Guru
A few pictures from Look Mum No Hands.

A couple of panoramas
lmnh1.jpg

lmnh2.jpg

Aperitif
lmnh3.jpg

Behind every great man, there's a woman (to use as a pillow)
lmnh4.jpg

There are a handful more picture here.

My GPS recording of the route is here on GPSies.

Top Bottom