FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea September 13th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
My legs were lovely and toasty all night.
I think we can all accept that your legs were warm, Sir, but as to whether they were "lovely" "all night", well that is another matter.

My Rainlegs are brightest yellow, as those who were on LonJog may recall. In the final photo at JoG, they ere a bit too yellow, IMHO.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Soaking wet shoes - mine aren't dry yet. Several of us said there was no point in bringing dry socks for when the rain stopped, if it meant wearing them inside wet shoes.

I've just realised - that's what waterproof socks are really for.
I was thinking exactly the same thing about the socks but then remembered that I'd never managed to stop the rain seeping down the inside with my sealskin socks.

Oh, did you notice how much heavier your shoes are when they're still wet through? Mine still weigh a ton!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was thinking exactly the same thing about the socks but then remembered that I'd never managed to stop the rain seeping down the inside with my sealskin socks.

Oh, did you notice how much heavier your shoes are when they're still wet through? Mine still weigh a ton!

The sound of the water hitting the floor when you emptied your shoes did make me look up to see who it was ^_^

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
"Waterproof" socks aren't. But they are wind resistant, which is helpful - it's the action of moving air over wet skin that makes the coldness. Inspired by something I read on here, I treated myself to a dry pair of wool socks (hand-knitted on Papa Westray, not that that's really relevant) half-way round rather than my usual cotton.The theory is the same as that underlying merino - even when it's wet wool retains air pockets which insulate. Even under overshoes the dryness lasted until the first puddle, but the warmth (or at least non-coldness) lasted all the way to the Rose. So I think that theory might work.

Tim Hall

on the Stock Village Hall thing. Geoff declined a club cheque on Friday night. I tried and tried, and Tim gave it a go as well, but Geoff was not persuaded. If, on the other hand, any of you feel like not asking for your change next time you're at a halfway stop, whether it be Stock or Strood or The Edifice (if that ever happens again) then I'm sure that would be welcome. Those who sent funds through somebody else - that's much appreciated.

Ooh. Does that mean we may not go Edificewards again? Is that because of the "next year" plans, or something gone awry?

Tim Hall

I think you know more than I do on this one.
Very little, other than the bit I told you about Derek moving on. I shall phone my sources. Do we need an Edifice MkII? (I have one or two up my sleeve)

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Thank you, one and all. It's all been said above. I've a small confession, though - I wussed out of the full SMRbtH. After @ianrauk and @jonny jeez left me at the Dartford crossing, it was my intention to ride back to the smoke. I carried on, got slightly lost and seeing a sign for Barking, decided I'd had enough and found the train station, where C2C train seemed more inviting than the rain that was getting heavier by the minute.
Chapeau to @mark st1, who's made of harder stuff than I.

With regard to anti-wetness devices and methods, I've nver gone with overshoes, as by all accounts they simply seem to collect water in bucketfuls, that then never escapes until the halfway stop, when it gets emptied.
I kind of accept that feet are going to get wet
Top-wise, I stayed dry all night wearing http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensRiderRange_03245?ocode=03245688.
Yes, I know it's expensive, but I am Rohan Man (with apologies to the other one of this parish), and their stuff seems to work.

Top Bottom