FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea September 13th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Surely you must be able to get top quality Seal Skins in your job, Charlie? :smile: (I bet you have a penguin suit for special occasions too...:whistle: )

Your havin a Giraffe aint ya !

I really enjoyed the ride.... much to my own surprise!

I was really worried beforehand about being "miserable" - from whatever cause e.g. wet, cold, knees or mysterious other... or combination of any of that. However, I took to heart the comments after the Wet Whitstable ride, i.e. that it's okay to be wet so long as you don't get cold.

So I wore merino next to the skin from head to foot, with so-called waterproofs over the top (Gore-tex jacket, Craft overtrousers, Gore-tex boots). First time I've put this to the test but I am pleased to say that, while I did get soaked to the skin from head to toe, I was never remotely cold. My left knee was stubbornly stiff the first hour after Stock, but it might have done that anyway regardless of conditions.

The only real 'inconvenience' was being blind most of the ride from fogged-up spectacles. But as I was not responsible for control of my vehicle, that inconvenience was minor.

(FWIW, equating merino with "wet (normal) wool" is like thinking you won't like apples because you don't like oranges. Just sayin'.)

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I'm not going to panda to your dodgy mane stream jesting!
The tally so far:
Marmoset
Tiger(biten)
Hypothalamus
Reindeer (legs)
Seal
Penguin
Giraffe
Otter
Lion
WPanda
&
An Ape and a snake in the grass, Mark.(given that you're bound to have adder nother idea since your last post by now...:whistle:)

Sorry my mind is now bear :whistle:

Sorry my mind is now bear :whistle:
Nothing bruin in the dark recesses..?
All that to say one can extract a lot from these rides, in any given situation. Now, did you see the bats? Always likely on a night ride, particularly if your bike is bell free.
And in my animal inventory, I forgot to mention your calf.

Steve Jones

I wonder when people are going to stop flogging this particular dead horse. At least I hope it's expired, as it will save a lot of suffering...

2657027 said:
It has at least long since passed the point where those doing the flogging are suffering more than the horse.
Fear not. My auto-exclude has been activated. Serious comment only from now on:

"Gosh it was wet. I had a good ride and chatted to people I didn't know, as well as some I thought I did. I got the train as I had to go to work. I missed the Rose, and Chris (I'll not mention his 'pony' tail either) and beersies in LMNH.
Looking forward to seeing a lot of happy faces the next time. Thanks a million everyone.
"

Trickedem

Guru
Well that was an adventure. I was working late so I missed my last train up to London and was very tempted to not bother with the ride. But I knew that there was home made food awaiting in Stock Village hall and a commitment had been made. So instead of the train ride up to London I had a relaxing cup of coffee and a snack and got ready to leave home just after Midnight, for a lonesome ride up to Essex.
I had heard reports that the rain was starting to ease, which I think was wishful thinking on the part of some weather forecasters and shortly after starting I was riding in a deluge which continued all the way to the Dartford Crossing. I was very lucky as the bike transport van turned up within minutes of me calling the control room. The driver was interested to know what on earth I was doing out on a bike in such foul weather at 1.30am in the morning. I briefly explained about the FNRTTC. Apparently if we were doing this for charity it would be alright, but otherwise we were obviously mad! I then travelled up the B186 the road that I always vow never to use again because it is so dangerous, as @rb58 and @ianrauk. Even at 2am it is still a nightmare with the worst of Essex drivers travelling between Towie Town (Brentwood) and Lakeside. I arrived in Brentwood ahead of schedule and hoped that I had arrived before the Peloton. I found a shop with a canopy to shelter under and proceeded to wring out my gloves and put on some of my spare clothing to try and keep warm. I spent an interesting 15 minutes watching various drunk and inappropriately dressed people leaving a night club. With some relief I spotted some very bright lights approaching and I knew I would finally have some company on the road.
As always, the welcome at Stock was fantastic, with great food and a relatively warm hall. My feet were soaking wet and cold, so I wrung my socks out and walked around in bare feet until they had recovered a bit. I only wish I had packed some spare socks to change into.
The ride into Southend seemed to go quite quickly and it was nice to catch up with several of you. The smaller number of riders meant that there were fewer delays than normal and because the rain had finally stopped I stayed quite warm. My Aldi rainlegsalike (as commented on elsewhere) helped of course!
Very impressed with the speed of the breakfast at the Rose, although I would happily pay a bit more for some better sausages. Rather than riding home, I had decided to take the easy option by catching the train with my friend Marcus C. We went to Tilbury, then used the passenger Ferry over to Gravesend. We followed the Whitstable FNRTTC route via the Canal, which is a lot easier in daylight. A great finish to an adventurous ride.
Some pictures here

Top Bottom