FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Superspeedy to Harwich 10th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
With that speedy crew it looks like I'll be a TEC. ...

On last years ride, as I recall the TECs had light work. That's predictable, if the weather is dry. With only a low number of riders, we're less likely to suffer mechanicals.

<fx: finger crossed, touching wood, and sacrificing an inner tube to the fairy>

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
headwind forecast. We're going to have to form up

martint235

Dog on a bike
On last years ride, as I recall the TECs had light work. That's predictable, if the weather is dry. With only a low number of riders, we're less likely to suffer mechanicals.

<fx: finger crossed, touching wood, and sacrificing an inner tube to the fairy>
Yep iirc myself and Mark Grant were among the TECs and I don't think we had anything to do but potter along at the back.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Questions, questions…
May attempt the SMRbtH on this one, but probably won't be up for all of it. Are there any bail out train stations on the way back?
The obvious ones are Colchester and Maldon (if Maldon has a train station). But won't your ride home be further north than the SMRbtH?

and I know you're only doing it to try to keep up on MCL

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Questions, questions…
May attempt the SMRbtH on this one, but probably won't be up for all of it. Are there any bail out train stations on the way back?

Aha... SMRbtH has claimed another willing victim :-)
It's not a tough ride back Chas as it's flat as a pancake. But last time we had a brutal headwind all the way home. As LongM has said, Colchester would be the first bail out station followed by Billericay.

Questions, questions…
I left them to their flat stuff on the way back last year, Charlie, and got involved with an ex-professional footballer from Greece in a layby, in the rain, somewhere along the way. His omelette rolls and hot tea gave me respite from the headwind and drizzle...but I got back to Harrow area / Mill Hill / Barnet etc. It was nice to have the big boy's train chugging along though until we went our separate ways - like any long ride, it's better in company - and easier. 202 miles or so...Ian's going around the block this time. :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I left them to their flat stuff on the way back last year, Charlie, and got involved with an ex-professional footballer from Greece in a layby, in the rain, somewhere along the way. His omelette rolls and hot tea gave me respite from the headwind and drizzle...but I got back to Harrow area / Mill Hill / Barnet etc. It was nice to have the big boy's train chugging along though until we went our separate ways - like any long ride, it's better in company - and easier. 202 miles or so...Ian's going around the block this time. :smile:
The lengths people will go to to get a 200..... :rofl:

BigGee

Watching the olympic triathlon at the moment, realy enjoyable, especially every time they go through the arch at HPC, definitely gives you a connection to the race.

If I had any doubts before I don't now, its definitely the best place to start!

StuartG

slower but further
Epic Olympic ride? Friday night we start at HPC and then whizz past Olympic Park and, being after midnight, the Zil lanes are fair game ...

TimO

Guru
Looking up the trains, Greater Anglia don't seem to have any restrictions relating to the Olympics thankfully. On the other hand, I don't remember that we have to change at Manningtree, which is mildly annoying. I hope it's on the same platform, and we don't have to carry bikes over the bridge.

Top Bottom