FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Superspeedy to Harwich 10th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Looking at the station map on the National Rail website, they're two sides of the same platform. IIRC Manningtree has a stunning cafe on the platform. As we only have a three minute changeover window it looks like second breakfast won't be possible. Unless we miss the connection of course.

TimO

Guru
Yes, the Manningtree station cafe is rather good, award winning as I recall. I suppose we could always not bother with the breakfast at Harwich, and just go straight to Manningtree. ^_^

U

User10571

Wasn't the breakfast in Harwich something of an err...... wait?

Just saying, like...

martint235

Dog on a bike
Wasn't the breakfast in Harwich something of an err...... wait?

Just saying, like...
We did wait around quite a bit. Maybe worth consideration for those cycling home. I think it was a lot cooler than is likely this year but that could be bad memory.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1975038 said:
The odd thing about the train was that it arrived quite full with people who didn't get off, even though Harwich Town is a terminus.
weren't they going to some kind of Royal do?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I am in now way pretending that things will not go horribly wrong but here is the final route home on Saturday. I've tried to keep us off what may be a stupidly busy A road coming out of Harwich for as much as possible but we will be on it for bits.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I am in now way pretending that things will not go horribly wrong but here is the final route home on Saturday. I've tried to keep us off what may be a stupidly busy A road coming out of Harwich for as much as possible but we will be on it for bits.
I think this is a daft route missed opportunity - sorry, but there you have it. If you're not going back the way we go up (which avoids the very unpleasant Goldhanger Road, then schlepp over toward Manningtree and take B1352 and the A137. It adds a bit to the distance, but the road from Harwich to Manningtree has some of the loveliest views in Southern England, and the A137 is a nice enough road - not as busy as the Maldon Road south of Colchester. Having said that....our route out is really pretty good during the daytime, and you might want to ask the ferry guy when he'll be starting his regular working day.

The A120 out of Harwich is all about Harwich docks - sometimes it's full of artics and sometimes it's completely empty - Susie and I went up it last year and, while there were lots of trucks coming the other way, our side was so empty we didn't bother to go on the 'old' road that runs parallel.

martint235

Dog on a bike
So to recap I'll have had to look out for :castles ; submarines ; teddy bears and now Perseids!

And if you don't like my route just say so. Don't spare my feelings :sad:

Top Bottom