FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast to Felpham 26 July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Leaving your wallet at home then, Adrian...making sure that everything is as tight as a lovely ride everyone. :smile:

BigGee

A great ride, of which more later.

I had to get back early today so headed off for the train pretty much as soon as we arrived.

I got back to Victoria at around 10.45 and headed off on my ride back to Woodford Green. As I came through Stratford I spied a group of cyclists ahead and on closer inspection noticed the very unmissable shape of our own long Martin amongst them. This was the intrepid group of LEL riders doing the prologue from Buck House to Loughton before heading off on the real deal later this afternoon/evening.

I rode with them a little bit and had a brief chat with Martin who seemed on good form, his philosophy on the event seeming to be "well in four days it will be over!"

I tried to direct them on a better route to Loughton than the one they were taking, but they were not to be corrupted by me and insisted on following the prescribed route. So all I could do was wish them good luck and speed.

We will look forward to hearing the tales!

U

User10571

A great ride, indeed.
However, for me the night did not begin well.
I awoke at 23:55 having slumbered the slumber of a thousand Rip Van Winkles through the carillon of not one but two alarms.
WTF is this? The fourth time?
FFS. This recurs with such alarming regularity, that there is now in place, a formal procedure for dealing with it....
23:55 = wake up.
23:56 = realise I've stuffed it. Again.
23:57 = ring Simon, reassure him that I'm alive (just), ascertain the route he's going to take (you lot do realise that by doing so I am privy to information none of you will have. Evah)
23:58 = ascertain if I have enough time to have a cup of tea.
23:59 = put the kettle on regardless....
00:00 = start sliding myself into the previously prepared lycra (generally arranged in ascending order of blackness, or possibly alphabetically by country of manufacture - depending on how the mood takes me). The bike has already been prepped, and so is good to go.
00:00.30" = Finish tea, go outside (that bit is quite important), clip in and pedal like I'm...... well? go on then, I'm too tired - you think of an analogy.

Figge's Marsh is where I intercepted the ride with clockwork-like precision, and from that point on the night passed mostly like a dream.
Conditions / my apparel were the happiest of marriages. (Some of you may debate this, on the premise of aesthetics. Ask me if I care - I thought I looked good)
Events of a mechanical nature were almost conspicuous by their near absence.
Mark delivered a trucking half way stop, at trucking (as in a bigger yacht moored in Marbella, than my dentist - and his has an on-board Maserati) prices. But we love him.
Dawn can have this knack of making things look acceptable or, in some cases even better - even if it is Horsham.
The lanes, oh the rolling lanes, made me want to sing, cry and wee. But not all at once.
And then, we were there \0/
No one died.
No one punctured.
I don't remember hearing much swearing, and I didn't witness any punches being thrown, and my breakfast from the Lobster Pot came with two teas and four sachets of Heinz English Mustard.
What's not to like?

Thank you all for a very fine night out, and some of you for your delightful company on a train ride home.
Here's a piccy of Horsham, from Tower Hill.
Probably Horsham at its best
9375119877_1004b4c099_o.jpg

I'll post pictures of some right dodgy descending when I've had some ZZZZZZZZZs and a chance to upload them.

FOOTNOTE: It really was the best of rides. Thank you, all.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The best FNRttC route of the big four by far - the whole latter half is rural, and Arundel is a peach of place after the stiles. Even the exit from London is tolerable given decent weather. Both cafe stops are top-notch.

And a first solo imperial century for me - I tacked on Guildford to HPC via Wisley at the start (I might have mentioned this to one or two people while rehydrating).

StuartG

slower but further
And a first solo imperial century for me.
Congrats. Now I feel guilty drafting you all the way from Leigh to Faygate. Thanks for the lift anyway.

Great ride and User10571 has it spot on - Horsham never looked so pretty in the dawn. And probably will never again.

Thanks to DZ for adding that little Norwegian frisson. But no, we don't want any of this foreign weather malarkey. Whatever would mmmmmartin have said if he hadn't been off on his little jaunt north?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
WOW what an amazing part of the world to cycle through ! The evening didnt get off to a brilliant start for me when my Mrs woke me up at nearly 10 pm saying isnt your train soon :ohmy: Id slept through dinner and didnt have the time or the required iron stomach lining to consume anything at that time of night. Clothes on speed down to the train station off to Paddington meeting up with @Mr Heamatocrit at one of the rougher train stations along the journey i was immediately concerned when he said "get your race face on today ! i will be taking snaps of you from my under seat Go Pro Camera mount ":ph34r: Knowing that i dont have a good side im not looking forward to the results ! Meeting at HPC i was immediately thrown in to doubt as to my choice of luggage as our illustrious leader mention "heavens opening" and "a record amount of rain for 1 hour that could float Noah's Arc" !!! Oh shoot i thought ive been looking at the wrong weather forecast all week :banghead: .Never mind cant do anything about it now setting off heading out of London town seemed to go at a good pace as we were congregating on Clapham Common within what seemed to be minutes ? And then hooking up with the splinter group near some dodgy looking railway archings/clycle paths which had a distinct whiff of Moroccan Gold about them. Heading through what seemed to be parks full of people clapping our procession was nice and what seemed like no time at all to me the bright lights of our beautiful capital were fading behind us and we were cruising up a fast section towards Reigate

Not being very clued up on the route to Felpham i was looking forward to descending Reigate Hill again until we turned off and headed in a different direction i was a tad disappointed at that but that didnt last long when we started descending a hill which wouldnt be out of place as a theme park ride i must admit to nearly touching cloth on 1 of the snaky hair pin bends and im sure i chewed up more brake pad in that stretch than i have done since i owned my bike !!! Congregating at the bottom to the sound of a full on steam engine popping and spitting away i was strangely attracted to who i now know as @charlie b who was smoking a fine tailor made cigarette being a recent quitter the smell was most welcome so apologies if i invaded your personal space for that short stop :blush: . After some glorious roads i was seriously running on fumes when we rolled into our pit stop at Faygate the Cheese sandwich and the biggest lump of bread pudding on Gods' earth didnt stand a chance :hungry:. Once again so grateful for these kind souls who entertain the crazy night hour to fulfill our hunger pangs :thumbsup:. It was a little fresh on leaving so i donned my arm warmers and prayed the rain clouds would be kind :angel: i was amazed at the pace we were keeping with the vast array of bikes and riders with what seemed to be ease we were congregating with dawn breaking waiting for someone to have his Chocolate wheel set repaired by the amazing fettlers known as TEC's. I was very grateful to be offered sweets by someone in a Fnrttc jersey and a strange looking hat (and a filthy laugh i might add) but im not sure of your name Sir so please accept my apologies for nearly ripping your arm off and many thanks for the sugar rush. After what seemed like miles and miles of stunning scenery with some gorgeous flat tarmac i was rewarded for bringing my cleat covers when the ride went all Paris Dakar for a short hump on foot across the country side many thanks to the people who were gate swinging so that we could safely get us and our steeds through :bravo:. Meeting up in Arundel we could almost smell the impending breakfast and again i was treated to a sweet offering by a very kind lady in a Fnrttc jersey again im sorry but i dont know who you are but i never did listen to the "dont accept sweets from strangers" thing. Especially when they are the best sweets known to Mankind MILK BOTTLES :hyper:. After a some rolling roads a good pace and apart from nearly being wiped out by a car trying to overtake me on a blind bend :boxing: we were greeted by the stunning South Coastline and the Lobster Pot Cafe. Breakfast was like a Paul Daniels magic trick as no sooner was it put in front on me it vanished :hungry: and after saying good bye to the man with the Chocolate wheel set Tony from Eastbourne who isnt a member on here as yet me and the artist formally known as Mr Venge headed off to Bognor station for what seemed like the longest slowest train journey in the World back to Victoria a short hop across to Paddington another train journey back to The Royal Borough and some well earned zzzzz's :smile:

Many thanks to Simon the wayfinders and tec's for another perfect evening cant recommend The Fridays highly enough who provide a brilliant night for anyone and everyone.

Mark.

U

User10571

i was a tad disappointed at that but that didnt last long when we started descending a hill which wouldnt be out of place as a theme park ride i must admit to nearly touching cloth on 1 of the snaky hair pin bends and im sure i chewed up more brake pad in that stretch than i have done since i owned my bike !!!

Welcome to Pebblehill Road.
It's very easy to over-cook it on that descent, as I very nearly did last night.
Meep!
Cut it right though and you have a very grin inducing descent.
Glad you enjoyed it.
I'm back in the kitchen - king prawns and ginger to tame into something palletable........

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Welcome to Pebblehill Road.
It's very easy to over-cook it on that descent, as I very nearly did last night.
Meep!
Cut it right though and you have a very grin inducing descent.
Glad you enjoyed it.
I'm back in the kitchen - king prawns and ginger to tame into something palletable........

I feel guilty not knowing these places as i have no clue where we are when we leave London some of the roads are just magical the long stretch we did approx at about 35-40 ish miles before the off road that was awesome averaging 20-22 mph with Paul for what seemed like forever.

Having only done Brighton,Burnham On Crouch and now Felpham as a complete route Felpham was by far the best imo but then with the cross country it has no grinding hills so suits a lazy b'stard like me :biggrin:

Top Bottom