FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast to Felpham 26 July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks for the naming of the 2 generous souls :thumbsup: Who were you i dont think ive met you before either ?
TMN is on the right in the top pic in Mr H's post #171 above.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I've done the Felpham ride more than any of the other FNRttCs, and for me at any rate, the route is my favourite for its sheer variety of types of road. Not only that, for the impossibly picture postcard villages it passes through after the sun has risen.
Weather-wise, a perfect night, never dropping below 12°, meant a minimum of additional clothing needed to be carried.
Fave section probably the 8 mile stretch already mentioned by mark st1 above, where everyone seemed to be at warp speed.
The bread pudding at the Cabin was up to its usual standard and stature(!), the breakfast at Lobster Pot one of the better ones out of all we visit.
I met and talked to a few complete strangers who stopped to ask all about us, why and what we do, not least the motorist who, having turned off at one of the junctions I was marking, did a complete 3 point turn, just to come over and talk to me.
Thanks as ever and a belated Happy Birthday to Simon, and to the TECs and waymarkers.
Last year it seemed to be rainy trip after rainy trip, this year thus it's been pretty much perfect every time. (Now I've wrecked it for Brighton)

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
A lovely ride with lovely people on the loveliest of all conveyances. Thanks to the big cheeses, TECs and Waymarkers - I reckon they should get given jerseys so they get to skip the queue at the food stops! Even if it's so I end up with the smaller portion of bread puddings. Pretty sure those things weighed more than some of the bikes. Cracking grub at both stops and some of you may have noticed I didn't mysteriously disappear after we went past Horsham station.

aD: Hey look, the sky's getting brighter over there!
Philip (I think): I suppose sunrise is soon-ish.
Rob: I can tell you when that is, I've got an app for it.
aD: What do you mean "there's an app for that"? Just look at the bloody sky!

p.s. that was not "walking across a field and lifting the bike over a fence". Just sayin'

U

User10571

2570245 said:
What a superb ride that was. It didn't rain and nobody died, what more could you want? Whatever it was, we got it.
....... A truly scary descent of Pebblecombe Hill, courtesy of not having put new batteries in my lights. .......
I confess to having found it scary and that was with my Hope fazers set on 'Stun'.
As an aside..... which map identifies that descent / ascent as Pebblecombe Hill?
All the maps (several) I've looked at refer to it as Pebble Hill - I know Pebblecombe is the name of the place near the top - but no road thusly named seems to exist???

Sproken Giant

Hi guys,

For those of you that I didn't get the chance to introduce myself to, my name is Tony Paine from Eastbourne, or Tony Chocolate wheel as I fear a may now be known cheers for that Mark :cycle: .^_^

Firstly; I would like to say thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome, this being my first ride with the group. I thoroughly enjoyed the route, the atmosphere and how well organised it is down to the arrival points at the set locations.
Secondly; Sorry about the chocolate wheel, I am amazed at the effort from the Tec's for helping me get mobile again. Thought my ride was finished and would need rescuing by my support team better known as Helen my better half.
Can't wait for the next ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi guys,

For those of you that I didn't get the chance to introduce myself to, my name is Tony Paine from Eastbourne, or Tony Chocolate wheel as I fear a may now be known cheers for that Mark :cycle: .^_^

Firstly; I would like to say thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome, this being my first ride with the group. I thoroughly enjoyed the route, the atmosphere and how well organised it is down to the arrival points at the set locations.
Secondly; Sorry about the chocolate wheel, I am amazed at the effort from the Tec's for helping me get mobile again. Thought my ride was finished and would need rescuing by my support team better known as Helen my better half.
Can't wait for the next ride.

Would never have guessed you were a Giant fan :laugh:
How about putting a pic of yourself and your bike on the GIANT thread HERE

That was one of the fiddliest of jobs us TEC's have had.
Did you true the wheel yourself or take it down to a bike shop?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'm the curse for Tony's chocolate wheel, he enquired how much my Zipp 404's cost and ten minutes later 'twang' goes the spoke.
Good job from the tail end Charlie's keeping him on the road.. Real nice guy.

BigGee

So which is the best, or at least allowing for personal preferences, your favourite FNRttC. If you had asked me last year I would have said Southwold, if you had asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have said Swansea and yet now I am veering strongly back towards Bognor again!

My last couple of trips here have been somewhat weather affected to the point where we have had to stay on the road all the way. This time we were able to take the traditional route along with the alternative stealth route out of London, forced upon us not by impending terrorism or danger of riots but by a simple detour to pick up Claudine and Suzy. I actually prefer to come out of London this way, it seems to allow us to avoid some of the worst excesses of South London, which while they can be amusing at times can also be a bit tiresome as well.

After that it was about re-acquainting ourselves with some old thrills. The swoop down the hill in the dark, people would pay a lot of money to do that in a theme park, followed by the long uninterrupted run cross country to Faygate. This stretch compares very favourably to the great run over the Vale of Glamorgan that we did a couple of weeks ago. Quiet lanes with overhanging trees, keeping the moonlight out. They twist and turn and go up and down, but never enough to make them too hard. The ride spreads out as everyone picks up speed. Suddenly feeling unshackled from riding in London and with the adrenaline pumping from flying down the hill these roads are there to be ridden hard. Red lights away in the distance, intermittently disappearing from view due to cornering, provide a target. This is night riding at its very best!

All to soon the Cabin Café comes into view, a good old fashion truck stop with doorstep sandwiches and the legendary bread pudding. This is slow release carbohydrate at its very best, I think I was still digesting mine on the train on the way home. It is sold by the slice which hardly does it justice, I have yet to be able to finish a 'slice'! Fortunately Claudine was available to provide assistance on this occasion.

When doing endurance events, like marathon running or long bike rides, it is often suggested that you perform visualisation techniques to help you get through it. Don't think of 100 miles in its entirety but rather 10 blocks of 10 miles. Count them up half way and then back down, it makes it more manageable in your mind and gets you through it. I find I have to use a similar technique to deal with eating my 'slice', it is just to much to face all in one go. I also kept cutting it into smaller and smaller segments, until some of the physicists sitting next to me pointed out that this technique would mean that ultimately I would never finish it! Anyway I am happy to report I made it in the end, it was delicious and I will be going for it again next time. It is all part of the ritual!

After the stop it became clear that the rain was not coming our way. I had never thought it was going to and had dressed accordingly. We then saw West Sussex at its glorious best in perfect cycling weather. This also allowed us to revisited our other old friend, the Stoke cyclo cross variation. My last couple of trips down this way had seen us forced up the hill by the weather. Now I like cycling up hills, but I also enjoy this. It is just a bit different! Kissing gates, cyclocross, gurkha bridges, adder filled paths, stampeding heffers leading to a section of strade bianche and suddenly a huge and impressive castle rearing up at us. Not something you do every day, especially if you live in London! I like different, is that not why we all do the FNRttC!

Once through Arundel, the last section down to the coast seems to go all to quickly. The Lobster Pot always does a fine breakfast but on this occasion I had to forsake it as I needed to get back. I managed a quick snack at the station café prior to boarding the train. It was very good actually, coffee and fried egg rolls, very quick and very reasonable. I recommend it if anyone ever needs to use it.

The train from Bognor back is slow and always get busy once you get near to Gatwick but soddenly you find yourself back in Victoria, what seems like another world after the tranquillity of the night and the early morning. Then it was back on the bike and eastwards homewards. A journey definitely improved by the chance encounter with Long Martin in Stratford, which left me wondering if I could ever do the LEL. I have got a little while to ponder that one, we will see!

So thanks to everyone for a great ride in great company. Thanks Simon and belated happy birthday. See you all for Southwold at the end of August, yet another of my favourite rides, it really is impossible to say!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'd like to think you said that in the style of "Yes it was - you should see what we have to climb doing so-and-so on the coast"
I can't say I'm that fond of walking-rather-than-cycling, anywhere, anytime. Bridle paths, forest 'roads' consisting of gravel, walking across beaches to a ferry....no thanks. But not only is that off-road bit pleasant enough in its own right, it's better than Bury Hill by a long, long way.

Top Bottom