FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 17th June 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Andrij and I got home for the grand sum of £2.05, each... And that was on the hs1 too.. How, we dont know, we couldnt see straight when trying to use that ticket machine thingy... :-D

Great ride, always love it. Thanks again one and all!

Andrij and I got home for the grand sum of £2.05, each... And that was on the hs1 too.. How, we dont know, we couldnt see straight when trying to use that ticket machine thingy... :-D

Great ride, always love it. Thanks again one and all!

Good one - I was thinking about you two earlier this morning. You both excelled yourselves in the repartie stakes, and it was reassuring to have two tiny tipplers to test the extremely decent range of rehydration.

2vv7vyc.jpg

Andrij appreciating an early morning stiffener - the world at his fingertips.

2di3r0p.jpg

"Say arggghh" Davy displays another of his pink, fleshy assets.

2r463hu.jpg

Davy and Andrij deep in 'conversation', whilst testing the energy drinks. Stuart listens attentively. A jolly good day out!

Yet again another Great FNRttC

Am really enjoying these rides and being a TEC although next time i'll have to get my hands dirty but it is hard to fix a puncture once the others are on the case... Still i'd probably slow them down never seen wheels out and tubes replaced so quick....

Thinking of trying out for F1 Pit Crew Lads.

Also breakfast with a Brew or 2 or was it 3.... Pukka.

And the one thing that made me chuckle the most was having it pointed out to me that the wording on my Essex Roads Jersey was not saying Essex Roads when my jacket was undone....Priceless

Don't fancy a red star? A blue one? Get one of these. :smile:

16m3b4z.jpg

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Just a note - the two interlopers wouldn't have invalidated the ride insurance or anybody else's, but my hope in getting everybody signed up with the same insurers (with the exception of the occasional BC rider) is that, in the unfortunate event of a claim, the whole thing could be sorted out without insurance companies disputing one with another. However, if one of those idiots had caused a crash then there would have been no getting anything off them. And they were idiots. People who didn't know they were interlopers complained about them overtaking on the left.

I told them that I didn't want them on the ride at the start and at the halfway point, by which one of them had presumed upon the good offices of the TECs three times. Their warning off at the end of the ride was blood-curling, and I think they took it to heart. I think Rimas had a word as well. If I see them again it's pump in the back spokes time.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just a note - the two interlopers wouldn't have invalidated the ride insurance or anybody else's, but my hope in getting everybody signed up with the same insurers (with the exception of the occasional BC rider) is that, in the unfortunate event of a claim, the whole thing could be sorted out without insurance companies disputing one with another. However, if one of those idiots had caused a crash then there would have been no getting anything off them. And they were idiots. People who didn't know they were interlopers complained about them overtaking on the left.

I told them that I didn't want them on the ride at the start and at the halfway point, by which one of them had presumed upon the good offices of the TECs three times. Their warning off at the end of the ride was blood-curling, and I think they took it to heart. I think Rimas had a word as well. If I see them again it's pump in the back spokes time.

Point taken RE the insurance- I was thinking of the 5x5 rule.

2429yle.jpg
:smile:

Should 'members' bikes be tagged with an I.D. to avoid this sort of stuff?(What a faff to inspect a bike before helping out!) I suppose it is a bit like Adrian's stance on the BHF / Critical Mass theft of ride, and his duty to partake of a bicycle ride to Brighton on a Sunday etc... (Of course, someone with Adrian's nous would be adding to , not subtracting from any ride, but the insurance of ride 'conflict' still stands, I guess?)
At Andy's, I gently advised one of the guys not to try and inflate his replaced innertube in the fashion that he was doing it, as it would break the valve tip...
I then replaced the 'replaced' tube with another, as Tim dismantled his (excellent) pump and fished out bits of valve. :smile:

Decent enough guys on the face of it - human, and I would find it hard not to help out. If their road sense lacked something, then I would probably have had a word somehow, and hope the message to respect other riders was loud and clear. That's different to being ignorant, and they probably got the FNRttC's finest 'hairdryer' treatment from our erstwhile manager - good. I'm sure Rimas, thoughtful and reasonable guy that he is, left them in no doubt...
If you want to ride, register, and stop stressing the SL out, FFS! We need him available on all wavelengths for the post-ride booze up, not a babbling wreck ready for bed!
And don't act unfairly. Respect the other riders who have made the effort. Arrive at a ride, ready to give, not eager to 'take' and it will be a whole lot of fun and education. (And sun.) :smile:

"And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here"

That's it! Thanks, Tim, saved me looking it up for myself. :smile:

Another great ride. Good fun being in the TEC Team and towards the end of the ride we had the p**cture repairs down to a tee. I should of course say thanks to Aperitif, who was also on hand to help with so many of them.
I rode home in the headwind at a fairly slow pace. Not sure if the couple of pints of Guinness helped or hindered, but they were delicious all the same! I was also visited by the p**cture fairy on the way home. All the practise meant I wasn't delayed much. For those who asked about my pump it is a Zefal HPX http://www.zefal.com...duit.php?key=73

A year ago I set myself a challenge to do a 100 mile every month for a year and it wasn't until I got home I realised I had achieved this goal. I celebrated with a nice sleep!

A few pics here
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvcs3KA

See you all shortly.

Zee

Veteran
Nice pics there Tim! You got the one of the shard I missed out on. Brilliant ride, big thanks to all the TEC's and waymarkers.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Great snaps Tim

the Crew of Four are just about to set off for a Nice to Pisa ride, and they've promised information and feedback on the route and hotels. Could be good........

I'm sorry if I seemed stressed out by our two unwelcome guests, Teef. I think the point at which I really got the hump was when they'd gone to the front, were riding as a kind of mobile road block, and then when somebody beside me (Bruce) used the word 'right' in conversation, they braked, wobbled right and almost took me out.

StuartG

slower but further
Actually 12 punctures. My front went flat during breakfast ... elbow greased my pump to limp to the station ... thanks to the Middle East negotiator who sorted the online GroupSave and the hardy warriors who sacrificed their bodies & wallets to clear the refreshment trolley.

Got off the Victoria train at Bromley South to catch the local to Penge East, went to sleep and woke up in ... Victoria. Doh!

A notable ride. Not for the number of punctures but the speed with which they were fixed. The TECS must been performing in the sub 10 minute league. Chapeau!

Number14

Guru
Another great ride. Good fun being in the TEC Team and towards the end of the ride we had the p**cture repairs down to a tee. I should of course say thanks to Aperitif, who was also on hand to help with so many of them.
I rode home in the headwind at a fairly slow pace. Not sure if the couple of pints of Guinness helped or hindered, but they were delicious all the same! I was also visited by the p**cture fairy on the way home. All the practise meant I wasn't delayed much. For those who asked about my pump it is a Zefal HPX http://www.zefal.com...duit.php?key=73

A year ago I set myself a challenge to do a 100 mile every month for a year and it wasn't until I got home I realised I had achieved this goal. I celebrated with a nice sleep!

A few pics here
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvcs3KA

See you all shortly.

Gas Tim, gas :whistle:

Top Bottom