FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 31st May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimble

Veteran
ah. I don't know.

Kim is the one person who is going to be affected by this, but then we manage on the Felpham ride just fine - I'm assuming that three strong people will simply lift her trike over. Having said that........a key would be handy for the most unutterably stupid get just east of Gravesend.

I wasn't planning on bringing the trike. Two wheels are much easier trains wise. Though stupid gates can still be a PITA, if not a show-stopper. Interestingly, if it's the anti-wide-shoulder A-frame gates, a recumbent trike is one of the few things you can ride through without faffing about.

My RADAR key (technically an ADA key, as I've cut the handle down to slightly less ridiculous proportions) lives on my keyring regardless, so if there are RADAR locks on the gates, I'll endeavour to be towards the front of the group.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think I'm bigger than Titus.......

no worries - well have you passed over head like some spaced-out Glasto stage-diver.

Janie_K

Can I ask a particularly girlie question please Simon ( I am a girl after all)?

If I happen to have a lovely shiny new bike and want to get the mileage up on it without getting it dirty should I wait until the Chilterns on Sunday or is tonight the night? Just wondering about the state of the much mentioned canal path etc.? Not quite ready to lose the 'new bike' feel yet (chickened out last week for the same reason and glad I did as the other bike can home thatched with straw).

Roughly tuffties please ignore the above girlieness! :-)

U

User10571

If I happen to have a lovely shiny new bike and want to get the mileage up on it without getting it dirty should I wait until the Chilterns on Sunday or is tonight the night? Just wondering about the state of the much mentioned canal path etc.? Not quite ready to lose the 'new bike' feel yet (chickened out last week for the same reason and glad I did as the other bike can home thatched with straw).

Janie _K, knowing the way of the path (sounds like a movie title...) and recent weather, your new shiny is more likely to end up dusty, rather than muddy.
Bring on the shiny.

FWIW I'm takin' my shiny down that way tonight.
If I thought it'd be pants, I wouldn't.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Given the state of the roads around here it's very difficult to bring a bike to the Chilterns and not get it dirty.

TimO

Guru
I'll be bringing Red although he's distinctly grubby in places, rather than shiny or red.

The Barley has been stitched up, not exactly prettily, but workably. I've got the planned route on the GPS, the lights and other batteries are charged. I now need to dig out some clothes (always useful!), and eat some supper, to make sure I've got plenty of energy.

U

User10571

I have been waiting for this ride to take this route for some time........

Janie_K

Thanks chaps. I guess an accumulation of dust and dirt will happen sooner or later... Shiny it is..! That's all the excuse I need.

Gradually getting things together (not too many of them, Simon!) which will be in my "Super C" saddlebag as it's the most convenient to lug about, being attached by a quick release system. There will be a lot of fresh air in there.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

well, I just nipped downstairs to have a look, and my bike's got no mud on it. So it should be ok. And if it's not, Ian will give it a little polish for you.
1007_washyourbike.jpg

The Met Office reckon the temperature in Gravesend at 1 am will be 16°C. Minimum temperature 12°C at 7 am.

I will bring longs and an extra layer in case they are lying.

Top Bottom