FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 6th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh yeah, K/O at 8am, so could be interesting!
Yep I'm torn between staying in the Waterfront to watch it or dashing home to hope to watch the recording before anyone tells me the score.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Kiwis by 5 to 10.
There's a teensy hope that a young and inexperienced England side won't be over-awed by the All Blacks and will play wide, attacking rugby without fear rather than settling into the attritional attitude adopted by the seasoned campaigners that holds the ABs at bay for an hour then succumbs to a sucker punch try set up by Richie McCaw from a breakdown gather with pass to a wing.

My medication should kick in soon.

humbert15

I might be up for this one. My knee seems to have sorted itself out (hurrah!) - although obviously I'm not ruling out a relapse if the weather forecast's particularly bad. It would work best for me to get a train back to Brighton from Ashford. Does anyone know what the roads are like between Whitstable and Ashford? Or, more pertinently, between Canterbury and Ashford, given the Crab & Winkle option.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the best way to get back is as follows

1. have breakfast
2. have a beer
3. have another beer
4. lose count of beers
5. ride (slowly) to Whitstable station where one might meet Mr. Pokey-Pokey or Mr. Slightly Slow, and demand something called a Groupssseavewhateverthatthingis

All this Crab and Winkling and riding to Ashord (the roads to Ashford are truly frightening, by the way) is beside the point. This is a bike ride, not some kind of penance!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
oh - we know about the roadworks before Upchurch. And Faye's new haircut is sensational.

I'd echo what User10571 said above re the Crab & Winkle Way. However, allow at least 45-50 minutes to get from the Waterfront to Canterbury Station. Some new bits have been tarmaced in the last year or so, but at least half is still gravelly bits.

For then getting to Ashford, you can either do hills or the A28, or a combination unfortunately. The least worst option would be to head out of Canterbury, and then after crossing the A2, turn left to join Cockering Road for a few miles to then re-join the A28 by Chilham station for a mile or so, and then turn off left just before Godmersham, join Sustrans Route 18 and drop down through Wye, and then there's a shared use bridge over the M20 to then follow the A292 into the town centre.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
^^^ it's true.
Although the train from Canterbury goes straight there and is much easier on the legs.......

humbert15

For then getting to Ashford, you can either do hills or the A28, or a combination unfortunately. The least worst option would be to head out of Canterbury, and then after crossing the A2, turn left to join Cockering Road for a few miles to then re-join the A28 by Chilham station for a mile or so, and then turn off left just before Godmersham, join Sustrans Route 18 and drop down through Wye, and then there's a shared use bridge over the M20 to then follow the A292 into the town centre.

thanks! I'll print this off and stick it on my handlebars (or perhaps save it for some light reading on the train...)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've ridden the A251 and the A28 - both times after recce rides. I don't think of myself as a nervous cyclists, but both were too much for me

Top Bottom