FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable June 1st

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Talk of a conversation with a driver reminded me, did anyone else notice the idiot having a row with a bus at the Woolwich Road flyover roundabout? He was trying to kick the doors open and then at one point ran round the front of the bus just as it seemed the driver had had enough and was driving off. I was convinced the guy was under it but he reappeared at the driver's side.

Talk of a conversation with a driver reminded me, did anyone else notice the idiot having a row with a bus at the Woolwich Road flyover roundabout? He was trying to kick the doors open and then at one point ran round the front of the bus just as it seemed the driver had had enough and was driving off. I was convinced the guy was under it but he reappeared at the driver's side.
Probably a relative of the guy later on who said "You can't ride down here - it's illegal. It's f***in' illegal to do that" - at which point Ross began to stir...Adrian and I continued on, to 'waymark' the railway crossing ( - and got deafened for our troubles). For no-one in particular, actually, as you had all stopped for an education. I hope his Daily Mail didn't get delivered later that day. What a 'superior caber operative' - made me smile.:smile:

BigGee

I had an interesting first as well whilst waymarking at Surrey Quays. I'd been standing there a while and just starting to wonder what the hell was going on back down the road when a lorry pulls up at the lights. The driver then leans out of the window and says to me that the rest of them are back down the road a bit struggling to fix a difficult puncture.

I thanked him for this info and he drove off, leaving me to contemplate that we don't usualy get updated in this fashion.

Glad to see the bush telegraph is alive and kicking in south london!

iZaP

Über Member
[QUOTE 1876183, member: 1314"]the german on the fixed, (sorry, can't remember your name but I tried to get you to stay for drinks and you cursed as you had to finish your second pint realising you were cycling back), [/quote]
It's Arnold, and I am Lithuanian, not German! :biggrin: The ride back was as hard as you'd think it would be! :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1876183, member: 1314"] Thanks to my bike for being a sexy mofo. [/quote]

true dat. a very sexy mofo in fact.

but you have to assert your fixed riders right on group rides to shout "FIXED! Coming through!!" on the climbs. Else I shall fear for the health of your knees.

Our splendid German Lithuanian colleague Arnold does it very well.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well, I'm back after a day's carousing in Whitstable. And as the legs were full of beery weariness I took the train back from Faversham. I did entertain the idea of cycling on when I found myself on the NCN1 somewhere in Faversham - I followed the signs until they petered out at the quayside and I then doubled back to the station with an unmistakeable feeling of relief!

I liked the NFT starting point but, then again, I'm biased as it's nearer for me. As I arrived far too early I managed to catch an outdoor acrobatic theatre (actorobats?) event at the Indoors Outdoors space alongside the meeting point. I wasn't expecting a free slice of South Bank culture before the ride.

It still amazes me how much goodwill these Friday rides generate: I'm thinking particularly of the good people of Strood who gave up an extended portion of their sleep to welcome us, feed us and send us off on our way again. I loved the flashing red light at the entrance; it was a lovely touch.

I'm really struggling with my fitness at the moment. At one unexpected hill I looked down at my computer and discovered that I was travelling at 2.5mph. I've seen people trackstanding faster than that. When I announced my remarkable speed, iZap I think it was, commented ''I wish I could ride that slow!'' before overtaking me on his Brompton at all of 3mph.

Excellent organisation again from all concerned. Sympathy too for the puncturees, of which there were a fair few.

002.jpg

011.jpg

017-1.jpg

(The Thames sailing barge, the Greta, setting out from Whistable harbour at breakfast time)

Andrij

Über Member

I was marking that junction - first noticed him in front of the bus trying to stop it. The bus got caught at the next lights (right in front of me) and the nutter had a few more goes at kicking the doors open. Even without that incident, that roundabout (well, the behaviour of motorists there) is downright scary. I'm honestly surprised there were no crashes.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was just behind the bus when he kicked off. I made a quick strategic decision to put myself on the far side of the bus even though the bus was pulling out and probably not fully concentrating on what the surrounding traffic was doing.

TimO

Guru
... when a lorry pulls up at the lights. The driver then leans out of the window and says to me that the rest of them are back down the road a bit struggling to fix a difficult puncture. ...

Interesting, I don't recall any lorry that stopped, so he must have worked out the difficult bit from the swearing emanating loudly from our vicinity. ^_^

TimO

Guru
1876588 said:
I'd hate anyone to run away with the idea that this was anything more than my normal discourse.

I'm also afraid that mild swearing is often my approach to technical problems (although Microsoft probably occurs more frequently in this category than most other companies).

"Actorobats" is now in the lexicon.

Bontrager tyres: What a bastard to get off Wanda's back wheel! No point disguising the word bastard because it was a bastard to get off. OK afterwards but...it was a two tyre lever operation...:sad: - not good.
It is interesting to note that Wanda's wheels@650mm - fully primed, are basically the circumference of the Walnutmeisters thighs...in some relaxed state or the other.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Tricky ride for me. Imbalance in work/life running minefield incursions into my head space. Grateful for the company (not that I brought much to it) and glad at least that my anaerobic moment happened when

a: we were already stopped to regroup.
b: we were not nearly going yet.
c: I was close enough to Long Martin for him to point out it might need a change.

So, to breakfast with mind resolved (but waiting for reality to catch up) which it did on the return when poor old Franken Furai died a little death. Hellfrauds covered above, but 5 gold stars to Bromley Bike Co who tooled a new part on the spot when post train bike and I wandered past.

Home with 100 miles on the clock and warm thoughts of those I shared the night with.

Head still not quite right, but perhaps, not so different.

A.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We're back in Guildford now, after turning a straightforward overnight ride into the first leg of an expedition - which very nearly didn't happen, and was rescued by Evans in Guildford. As we were fiddling with the stoker seatpost to make sure it was at the right height (it and the saddle are both new, and fortunately are doing their stuff) the clamp bolt sheared right through. There's something a bit iffy about Thorn's design - the captain's seatpost clamp has two bolts, while the stoker makes do with one, which needs to be done up so tightly that the steel begins to bend.

After a fair amount of faffing, and trying to find other bolts on the bike which would do (the headset clamp was the nearest match), I discovered that Evans was open till late and hared round on my Brompton. The very efficient workshop found a matching, but longer, bolt, and cut it down to the right size - all without taking payment.

Like others, I like the South Bank start - and not just because it's convenient for Waterloo station. A small peleton gathered by the caffe Nero stall, including three riders with much more luggage than us. I should point out to CoG and TC that if they'd followed us down the cab road rather than going in search of more exciting opportunities they'd not have ended up underneath the wrong arches...

Others have written of the ride. There is something odd about riding through the industrial wastelands of south-east London for hours, and for me I'm not sure the occasional highlight (the Dartford bridge, the Royal Naval College) quite makes up for the endless concrete. Out of London, the towns become more attractive.

Some more random highlights: the English Martyrs, Strood, with its completely random concrete apsidal features that only the Catholics could put up with. A skylark at 3:30am in the dark. The marshes - eery and chilly in the easterly drizzle.

That wind wasn't pleasant - and speaking of which, here's Friday night's theme song.
Westron wind, when will thou blow?
The small rain down can rain.
Christ, if my love were in my arms,
And I in my bed again.
http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/medlyric/westron.php

I'm afraid we weren't very sociable at the end - extreme tiredness, dampness and cold rather enhances my natural introversion. I'd made the mistake of not putting on my showerproof top, so my jumper was damp and therefore ineffective. I was just about coming back to life (fortified by a pint of mild) when the main station group left, so we changed into civvies and persuaded the Continental Hotel to look after our luggage and bike (bike rack a bit public for comfort) before mooching around a very lovely little town for the morning.

As far as I can tell a lot of it (beach, brewery, venue, hotel, cottages) is owned by the oyster fishery company, which has probably helped its preservation. It has a lot of little gems, including an attractive art deco Wetherspoons cinema conversion (good pint of Whistable oyster stout). Our room came available at 2pm and we slept the sleep of the just for a couple of hours before being woken up by watery sun and finding some food.

On Sunday we started a lot later than we'd planned (which raises a question about early starts on the way north), and failed to find the Crab and Winkle Way out of town. Instead we blatted down the A road to Canterbury before climbing up through the hills and down to the levels. Miserable drizzle kept us from going all the way to Dungeness, but it was beginning to brighten up by the time we started going through the hills up to Ticehurst - 72 miles in all for the day.

After a night at the Bell hotel (an extremely large steak which didn't help me sleep - another lesson to learn) we set out westwards. 60 miles later, of which 15 were on unsurfaced cycle tracks, we were back in Guildford. An almost incident-free day, apart from the unthinkable - a punctured Marathon plus at Ewhurst. A quarter-inch chip of brick had embedded itself in the tyre and made its way through to the tube. It had completely hidden itself inside the rubber and had to be dug out with a screwdriver - the sort of thing which would have gone straight through any lesser tyre.

Overall it was a successful few days. The weather could have been better (I don't like wearing longs and overshoes in June), but we proved to ourselves that we could do successive long days, given enough breaks during them. And of course, in a couple of weeks, we will have the light bike (a stone lighter in the bike, a stone lighter in the luggage).

Top Bottom