FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Cleethorpes 18th June 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mike E
Sig E
John E
Stuart A
Andrij B
Mick D
Marilyn B
Clive B
Adam B
Martin F
Alastair MacD
Luke C
Claudine C
Eddie C
Adrian C
Katsura I
Kim W
Mark L
Luke S
Laurence D
Ed K
John W
Simon R
Chris C
Tim C
Vernon L
Paul S
Danny G
Marcus C
Martin N
Adam T - who knows the way!!
Landslide
Shaun H
Matthew C
Paul P
Andy D
Robert G
Paul R
Phil B
Mike W
Sarah W
Barry M
Ian F
Craig E
Phil P
and, hopefully, one other
Martin M

the Martins have eclipsed the Andys!

longers

Legendary Member
^ over forty riders? Sounds good!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
we're gonna take that sucker at high speed, with flashing lights and sirens. Fences schmences - this is going to be Apocalypse Now, but with bikes. There will be tears, but there will be laughter, and, twenty years from now, children will ask YOU where you were when the FNRttC took Walmgate Bar. Timothy Leary will rise from the grave and call out all our names, inducting us in to the Psychochaotic Cosmodemonic Hall of Fame. Each of us will have our own stories to tell, but each of us will bless the night that Walmgate Bar was lit up, not by sodium, but by the brilliance, the genius, the sensual derangement that is the Night Ride to end all Night Rides.

Fear has no place in our hearts!

I see! It's lucky Dr Evil The Mad Inventor of Mumbles made those few last-minute adjustments...

cromwell-flying.jpg

Me, I've been watching videos of Danny MacAskill, and I reckon I can do it from a standing start. I mean, how hard can it be? :becool:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
marinyork said:
Walmgate Bar's irrelevant (especially at that time).

Arch said:
Not irrelevant.

marinyork said:
Quite possibly not actually if you'd listened to my post.

Arch said:
Listen carefully. The. End. Of. Lawrence. Street. Is. Closed. With. A. Metal. Fence.[...] I'm maybe being thick, but I don't get what you mean by 'ASL anyway...'

marinyork said:
Trivially. I don't know why you can't be helpful rather than telling me things I already know from the descriptions, chuffing heck I thought you were supposed to have lived in the place for ten years.

marc-jacobs-mix-quilted-classic-rosen-handbags.jpg

I'll be in York a day early. What say we all have a pint, and I'll referee? :becool:

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
Trivially. I don't know why you can't be helpful rather than telling me things I already know from the descriptions, chuffing heck I thought you were supposed to have lived in the place for ten years.

I was including descriptions for the benefit of those not native...

What is needed is not Lawrence St but what's going on further south and north. Is there a barrier physically stopping people taking the natural route to the left of the bar (I know the straight on lane is closed) and packing into the ASL on foss islands road? (note natural road markings, that may have changed). If the lights have got moved back you can still more or less do that same thing at midnight. Besides I think it'd be hilarious having cars at the front of the queue surrounded by 50 cyclists.

The left turn lane is not blocked, no. So yes, you could turn right from it - you'd want a sharp lookout, because it would be a blind turn, thanks to the Walmgate Barbican.

(note: the Walmgate Barbican is the sticky out bit that allows defence of the gate from attackers. Subsequent mentions of 'the Barbican' refer to a now defunct leisure centre, built about a dozen years ago, and which looks like a toilet seat from the air)

As for south I gather from the descriptions that once you are on Foss Islands Road you can go along Barbican Road till Paragon St unhindered so my thoughts are to jump on the cycle path of which there is a dropped kerb and you're legally allowed to do. Then take a left turn on the cycle path and depending on which side the barriers closures/are either go down Barbican Mews or do 50ft of illegal cycling and hop onto Wellington St, regent St etc. If you follow what I mean it really depends what it means by 'between Paragon St and Wellington St' as there are a few houses with cars on the stub of Wellington St it's not clear which side of the road junction the blocks will be/access and so on (happened in the past when the road was closed). I can't see any of that, perhaps you could head further south and help out on that one :blush:. I don't think going around the Barbican on the cycle path is unpleasant even if Barbican Mews cycle crossing is closed, I'm just not a fan of James St since they ruined it, I don't mind the inner ring road though.

Barbican Road is currently closed from the very end where it splits from Paragon Street. You can't get to Barbican Mews or Wellington Street without going on the pavement. Yes, you could go round the Barbican using the cyclepath, and the cut through at the side of the Barbican building is still open. Personally, if I had to go round there, I'd just use the road anyway, and come up Kent Street and Hes Road, and either down Regent Street to rejoin Lawrence Street, or go on up the hill to Green Dykes Lane and go left down to the Hull Road crossroads.

I don't know what's wrong with James St myself... I just thought it was the easiest detour to describe. I really am only trying to help.

Of course, in three weeks it might all have changed. And I leave the country on Friday, to return on the Weds evening of that week, ready to go to work on Thursday to set up Velo Vision for the Rally, so I don't know if I'll have a chance to check it out.

Arch

Married to Night Train
theclaud said:
marc-jacobs-mix-quilted-classic-rosen-handbags.jpg

I'll be in York a day early. What say we all have a pint, and I'll referee? :blush:

I wouldn't be seen dead wielding either of those...

But anyone in York early who fancies a drink, let me know. As I said above, it'll all be a bit rushed for those few days, but I can always fit a drink in somewhere!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
You've never tried tequila via your eyeball? Lightweight.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
But anyone in York early who fancies a drink, let me know. As I said above, it'll all be a bit rushed for those few days, but I can always fit a drink in somewhere!
If you are planning a meet up beforehand, a pub without a TV might be a good option as England play a world cup game at 7.30, so some pubs might be a bit busier than normal :blush:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'll say this once, and once only - I have a plan for Walmgate Bar. It's a secret plan, and it's going to remain secret, because it involves matters of National Security. If I told you I'd have to kill the lot of you. That's the way it is for us Rides Leaders - we're burdened by information of the most sensitive kind, information that sometimes denies us sleep, information that can drive weak men mad and strong women to drink, information that, if were released to the 'general public' would cause widespread panic and a run on brake blocks and CO2 cartridges.

This is the weight I must carry. Pity me. And hope for me, because if, between now and June 18th I am struck down by the bubonic plague or eaten by ravening taxi drivers, this knowledge, this Third Secret of York's Inner Ring Road will die with me, and all of you will be doomed to circling the Minster widdershins until your tyres wear out and your Brooks saddles grow green fungus.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
file.php?n=3183&w=l.jpg

Arch: I think I have a plan here: using mainly spoons, we dig a tunnel under the city and release them into the wild.
Marinyork: Spoons?
Arch: That's it, I'm out of ideas. We're closed. Hot air balloon? Too expensive. Giant slingshot? Too conspicuous. Enormous wooden horse? Too Greek.

Arch

Married to Night Train
craigwend said:
file.php?n=3183&w=l.jpg

Arch: I think I have a plan here: using mainly spoons, we dig a tunnel under the city and release them into the wild.
Arch: That's it, I'm out of ideas. We're closed. Hot air balloon? Too expensive. Giant slingshot? Too conspicuous. Enormous wooden horse? Too Greek.

:thumbsup: BTW, which one am I?

Ok Dell, if you're onto it, you're onto it. But no one will end up cycling round the Minster, widdershins or no, because you can't cycle through the park to the North side....:evil:

If anyone wants suggestions of a pub without a TV...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
craigwend said:
file.php?n=3183&w=l.jpg

very funny. And just for that I'm putting you on the list of riders. Don't even think about not turning up

Top Bottom