FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Cleethorpes 18th June 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
threebikesmcginty said:
The google map link is wrong I think, it's referring to a location 60 or 70 miles south of Cleethorpes.
Anyone who finds themselves down there would be hopelessly lost ... mouseketeers?! :laugh:

Yes but the first link isn't wrong, it's something Arch flagged up some time ago. One can only cross the river at Stamford Bridge, by the A1079, that bridge and the A163. I think Arch said last time it was closed it was letting peds over though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
Yes but the first link isn't wrong, it's something Arch flagged up some time ago. One can only cross the river at Stamford Bridge, by the A1079, that bridge and the A163. I think Arch said last time it was closed it was letting peds over though.

I have no idea - I think peds were allowed over, but I never went across when it was shut, so I have no idea what the bike arrangements will be - I'd suggest Dell or someone sees if they can get a definite answer, as it'll be a bugger of a detour if unexpected.

<checks map>

To get to Melbourne without using that bridge, and minimising A road use, you could take the B1228, then take a left in Elvington (after the airfield and industrial estate, but before the village proper) to take you north to the A1079, turn right, and then take the next right to go through Newton Upon Derwent, and come out into Sutton... It means about 7 more miles, about 2 of them on the A road.

You could just take the A1079 out of York until that turn to Newton, I've no idea what the road is like at night....

BTW, Dell, in your description of the recce you said the Elvington road was nice, and I wondered a bit about that, but coming the other way on it today, I noticed that all the worst potholes and surface were on my side, not the other one....:laugh:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I knew the bridge was broken, but not that it would be closed again.

I'll be going up there again on the 5th, and I'll see if I can get any information then - there's usually a Highways Agency notice. The alternative is the A1079 to Wilberfoss (I'm not too worried about A road use - Mike had to divert my attention from the wide open spaces of the A63) which takes us almost 3 miles out of our way. If we have to walk over, we'll walk over.

You're right about the potholes, Arch. We had some pretty powerful lights on the recce ride, and we saw the potholes on the southern side of the road - and some cracking on the northern side of the road. Put it this way, though - it's not Surrey. That's where the really crap road surfaces are to be found

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
threebikesmcginty said:
The google map link is wrong I think, it's referring to a location 60 or 70 miles south of Cleethorpes.
Anyone who finds themselves down there would be hopelessly lost ... mouseketeers?! :laugh:

True. can't get it to link properly

Maybe have to do a mass- 'steve mcqueen' in the great escape?
(make a great video:biggrin:)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mike E
Sig E
John E
Stuart A
Andrij B
Mick D
Marilyn B
Clive B
Adam B
Martin F
Alastair MacD
Luke C
Claudine C
Eddie C
Adrian C
Katsura I
Kim W
Mark L
Luke S
Laurence D
Ed K
John W
Simon R
Chris C
Tim C
Vernon L
Paul S
Danny G
Marcus C
Martin N
Mike - I think Adam is coming. Could you ask him to get in touch?
Landslide
Shaun H
Matthew C
Paul P
Andy D
Robert G
Paul R
Phil B
Mike W

Arch

Married to Night Train
dellzeqq said:
I knew the bridge was broken, but not that it would be closed again.

I'll be going up there again on the 5th, and I'll see if I can get any information then - there's usually a Highways Agency notice. The alternative is the A1079 to Wilberfoss (I'm not too worried about A road use - Mike had to divert my attention from the wide open spaces of the A63) which takes us almost 3 miles out of our way. If we have to walk over, we'll walk over.

You're right about the potholes, Arch. We had some pretty powerful lights on the recce ride, and we saw the potholes on the southern side of the road - and some cracking on the northern side of the road. Put it this way, though - it's not Surrey. That's where the really crap road surfaces are to be found

If you're ever wanting to shift a tooth, try riding a trike back into York from Elvington. I have done a 10 mile detour to avoid that bit of road....

Walking over the bridge is fine if you can - my only concern is whether even ped access will be available - as you'll have seen, it's pretty narrow at the best of times.

The first tour I went on, before I knew about OS maps, and sanity, I rode the 1079 all the way to Beverley, and once I'd got south of the Humber, I used the A whatever-it-is-in-double-figures to get to Lincoln. The old and hopefully wiser I get, the smaller the roads I pick!

Speaking of potholes though, for a really fabulous, albeit short, experience for anyone in York, the stretch of Terry Avenue (which is open to cars at that point, but becomes the main riverside cycle/ped path out to the Racecourse and beyond) under Skeldergate Bridge is to be recommended. Not only horribly cratered, but the sudden contrast into darkness under the bridge makes the surface nice and hard to see. For full effect, come when the whole lot is under the river....

http://www.york.gov.uk/transport/Ro.../traffic_restrictions/Roadworks/BarbicanRoad/

and

http://www.york.gov.uk/transport/Ro...restrictions/Roadworks/SuttonBridgeElvington/

Walmgate bar is the archway you went out of on your way out of town - traffic light controlled junction, with (as you're heading away from the town centre) a chippy on your left and York Cycleworks on your right. I completely haven't noticed if you can get through at the moment on a bike, but can check tomorrow on the school run :ohmy: Lots of easy alternatives if you need them.

I went over the bridge at Sutton a couple of weeks ago - couple of completely nasty speed bumps and traffic lights in operation but otherwise OK. I'll be going to Elvington in the next week or so, so can check then if you like.

marinyork

ASL anyway so Walmgate Bar's irrelevant (especially at that time).

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
ASL anyway so Walmgate Bar's irrelevant (especially at that time).

Not irrelevant - in all the excitement over Sutton, I'd forgotton that you can't get straight across from Walmgate to Lawrence Street at the moment, you can only go left onto Foss Islands Road. The full closure across Lawrence Street only came into force today. No idea how long for, the whole project is meant to be for another two months or so.

Easiest detour, unless you want to get off and walk, or engage in pavement cycling, is:

Left at the end of Walmgate, onto Foss Islands Road. At the next lights, turn right before the Morrisons garage, and when you get to the mini RAB either go left to go through the Morrison's carpark, or go right to get on the shared use path (the road straight ahead is a bus lane only - maybe at that time of night it doesn't matter so much). At the other end, right onto James Street, and that will take you up to Lawrence Street, past the closed bit. Turn left at the lights at the T, and you're back on course. Minimal extra distance.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
So will we all have to ride one of these? xx(
trevone1.gif

marinyork

Arch said:
Easiest detour, unless you want to get off and walk, or engage in pavement cycling, is:

Quite possibly not actually if you'd listened to my post. Easiest detour is what I was hinting at, which one can apparently do. There really, really was a reason why I wrote what I did, having lived on that junction...

If one could get more information about the south side of what the junction actually looks like as opposed to the restrictions, you are closer to me at the moment that would be very useful.

Top Bottom