FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Cleethorpes 18th June 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
I hope you all have a fine time on the York Cake Fest inaugural Cleethorpes FNRttC. I'll be leaving for my Glastonbury - Stonehenge overnight ride (aka the Solstice WARTY) about the time you lot are returning to your homes, so I'll see all the reports a bit later on Sunday.

Have fun. :ohmy:

Andrij said:
Please shoot me.

Just took another look at my tickets... and they're for tomorrow! Tickets now are beyond my budget for a night ride. I'm gutted. :ohmy:

I've spoken with dell, but I'd be grateful if someone could pass along a 'hello' and apologies to User10119 - I had promised to introduce myself this evening.

Have fun folks.

Oh No! And presumably it's a ticket up to york, and one back from Cleethorpes, so you can't even come up tomorrow and spend the night at the knavesmire getting drunk and eating cake before falling asleep on another forummer's pitch?

I would offer to go do the ride with you tomorrow night, just so you don't miss out because it is LOVELY, but that would be plain silly. Wouldn't it...

Shaun

Founder
Slept, showered, filled-up on porridge and heading out the door. See you all in a couple of hours.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Extremely carb-loaded thanks to my friends, kit sorted, ready to go, next a nice 12 mile or so warm up ride....

Arch

Married to Night Train
I guess you'll all be there by now...

I hope it went well. It was great fun seeing you all turn up and riding out with you, even if only for the first mile or so....

TimO

Guru
thumb_up.gif

I told you that you would find it easy CrinklyLion. :tongue:

Shaun

Founder
Thanks to Simon and the team for a fantastic ride. Well organised, and an experience to remember; especially the sea of flashing red lights stretched across a quarter mile of darkest Yorkshire countryside (accompanied by the quiet hiss of 60+ bikes).

If you've been thinking you'd like to try an FNRttC I would highly recommend it.

Good to meet some more CC'ers too.

Hope everyone gets home safe.

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:

Now in London - full of good cheer - at work :tongue: The London bound train was rammed - could be tricky for the followers-on. James Jenkins Jobsworth, who put the grim in Grimsby, controlled his massive (one carriage) train, predicting flood and storm...and the weather isn't much better in the smoke.:smile:

Nil events for rubberware manipulators. One event for a lost bolt in Alan's Brompton, swiftly replaced by one of Adrian's 'folding bolts' "zzzzzip!" :wacko:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Excellent ride, great company and conversation... shame about the trip home. :sad:

Got on the "altered service" at 07.18... altered in that it ended at Scunthorpe to be replaced by a coach to get to Doncaster... never have I seen such glee from the conductor upon seeing the bikes and "staking his reputation" (his words) on us not getting them on the replacement coaches. :angry:

Clearly he's not up to much as we got on fine, without even having to resort to the wily charms (and/or tears) of the attractive young lady who was part of the group, or any lies about us being "undercover" operatives of the coach company sent in to see how we were dealt with with our bikes in the name of Customer Service checking.:biggrin:

Finally got a train at Doncaster... to Sheffield, and then had to change to one reminiscent of the ones you see in the pictures of overcrowded trains in India... people queueing down the aisles in the carriages. 2 stops later I just about managed to get out alive with my bike and straight onto a train bound for Urmston. :tongue:

Home at about 11.00am for a bath, a bowl of cereal and my bed with a text to my Wife asking her not to disturb me before breakfast. :biggrin:

Just up about 30 mins ago and off out for some tea.

Smashing night, enjoyed it muchly! Cheers to all involved with the route, and great to meet loads more people (many of who were not off the forum, which surprised me somewhat!). ;):bravo:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Home about 11:20 this morning, got hopelesly lost getting out of GRIMsby; though by magic homing pigeon technique (aka luck) ended up on the right road eventually, added another 50 miles to the ride just a shade over 120 in total, with a 'ride time of 523 ... minutes.

Big thanks again to;

simon for organising
all the other folk for way marking etc,
Kat for the cake
ed for the lift
shaun for breakfast
all the folks who chatted on the way
my parents for conceiving me
& I'd like world peace & people to be kind to animals :biggrin:

I'm surely not the only one who became delerious ;) :angry:

Great FUN!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have not long woken up- after having cycled back 14 miles to Tollerton (it is 14 miles when you go the wrong way to start with even after having set up a course on the Garmin, whoops), I was clearly in need of a rest.
What a splendid evening that was! As previously posted, had a lovely evening including extensive carb-loading with my chums before heading back into the city. After getting an extensive tour of the various ring roads etc round the centre, Adam (Flying Dodo that is) came across me and we found our way to the Minster. Splendid to make the acquaintance of many new northern friends & bicycles (Uncle Phil's Moulton is lovely indeed). Delightfully uneventful ride in terms of fairy visits etc, but new and wonderous sights for us southerners- Humber Bridge in particular. Mrs B's was indeed an excellent choice for midway stop, the pub and Brown's equally welcoming. And liked the tailwind, though there was of course a sting in the return leg north for me..
Journey back to here was interesting..my pre-bought ticket proved to be invalid on the Doncaster-York line (ticket inspector on Doncaster train- which thankfully did go that far after short delay at Scunthorpe- pointed this out without whacking a penalty fare on). Single fare plus bike reservation sorted at Donny (ouch, but never mind), and then another run to Tollerton, via 'scenic' route and despite massive headwind. Aaargh....

I take it this will be a new regular excursion? I hope so....! ;)

Top Bottom