FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Hull 19 April, 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Sorry for the late post, this is really for reference next year.As we were putting our bikes in the guards van at King's Cross, and proudly displaying our pre-booked cycle place tickets, a chap came into the guard's van carrying a bike frame upside down. It was a bike with the wheels taken off. He asked: "Can I leave this in here?" and the guard said yes. As we were taking the bikes out at York, I asked if it was OK to bring the bike on as the other chap had done. The reply was yes, because the frame could easily be moved around inside the guards van, it wasn't locked to anything and it didn't get in the way. The chap had put both his wheels in one of those big blue bags you get at Ikea for 50p. So no need to wrap it in clingfilm, dismantle it, etc. Just remove the wheels. Also, less chance of it being stolen I would think, if it had no wheels. I would prefer to have the security of a properly-booked cycle space, but I thought this little clever wrinkle to get round the system was useful to know.

Sorry for the late post, this is really for reference next year.As we were putting our bikes in the guards van at King's Cross, and proudly displaying our pre-booked cycle place tickets, a chap came into the guard's van carrying a bike frame upside down. It was a bike with the wheels taken off. He asked: "Can I leave this in here?" and the guard said yes. As we were taking the bikes out at York, I asked if it was OK to bring the bike on as the other chap had done. The reply was yes, because the frame could easily be moved around inside the guards van, it wasn't locked to anything and it didn't get in the way. The chap had put both his wheels in one of those big blue bags you get at Ikea for 50p. So no need to wrap it in clingfilm, dismantle it, etc. Just remove the wheels. Also, less chance of it being stolen I would think, if it had no wheels. I would prefer to have the security of a properly-booked cycle space, but I thought this little clever wrinkle to get round the system was useful to know.
This is what we did with my bike on this route, for the York-Hull FNRttC last year.
(http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fnrttc-york-to-hull-27th-april-2012.95792/page-12#navigation - see mesg#231)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Very nice, McS. Your choral background gleams through ("rich-es"), and I might have been inclined to take the song a tone or two higher - the verses are a tad on the low side.

Top Bottom