FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Hull 19 April, 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I enjoyed that, thankyou Simon, TECs, waymarkers, cake-bakers, tea-brewers and everyone else. (Including Crinkly and a cub, who spurred us on with a smile and a wave from the roadside, and with flapjacks for later).

I got home a little after two yesterday, and after having something to eat, thought I'd like down and see if I could sleep for a couple of hours. I woke up twelve hours later, two in the morning, ate loads more and then fell asleep again until nine o'clock this morning.

Between riding down to York, doing the FNTttC and riding home again, most of the way with the SMRbtY crowd (well, eight), I clocked up 211 km - a first for me. So I know I can do 200km another time. I didn't feel too drained either - just an overwhelming urge to eat, and sleep. And eat some more....

I noticed DogTrousers' camera, but assumed it wasn't running. I'd have made sure I wasn't behind him if I'd known, but it seems to have missed me - a relief to us all I'm sure.

Having encountered that Empty Square on two rides this year now, I can feel an urge coming on to go back there with a high-precision GPS and check where exactly the pylon lies. I think we should be told.

It is quite tricky to explain the magic of FNRttCs. It's not just the route which has been hand-picked for its reduced traffic, or its sweeping shape or its stillness. It's not just the midway stop where cafe owners have stayed awake until 4am to serve sandwiches and smiles as we bundle into their space. It's not just the ever changing sky that displays its magnificent light - the moon, the stars and the waking of the sun interspersed with total darkness. Or the fog, the cold and the rain that pushes us to our limits - so we can berate or celebrate our wardrobe choices. And it's not just the tremendous achievement of reaching the destination through pedalling all night, cycling distances never thought possible.

It's the camaraderie generated by being amongst a truly great bunch of people. People who don't judge you by your bike but who spur you on when you are flagging. People who care about how your bike is doing and who will do all they can to fix a mechanical problem you may find in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. People who make you laugh out loud so loudly you nearly wake up the cattle in the nearby field. People who can keep you company, chatting and cycling so that you forget you are a bit tired or a bit hungry and before you know it you are grinning from ear to ear as you realise how much fun it is to be on a bike.

When I started cycling I never imagined I'd be able to do this kind of ride. I'd have balked at cycling faster than 15 miles an hour even down a hill. But thanks to friends and weekends we'd go out for rides and before I knew where I was I was cycling 30 miles around London on a Sunday! 30 miles?!! And that was laughing all the way without noticing anything other than how much fun I was having. 30 miles became 50 miles with some hills thrown in, each time increasing in gradient. And my top speed down a hill increased to 30mph!! Wow!

Building up my fitness and endurance increased my speed over long distances which on a group ride means the overall speed is manageable without being exhausting and more importantly without holding up the others. This cycling introduction was accompanied by carrying out basic bike maintenance - lights, tyres, chain - whilst keeping luggage to a minimum. This last item has been a real struggle! but it's a whole lot less than it used to be...!! And I no longer keep luggage on me - it's a small or medium (depending on the weather forecast) Carradice saddle bag.

The excitement as we meet up at midnight, the anticipation of the next eight hours ahead, the weather - are we wearing enough layers, do we need waterproofs, where is The Claud, should we have brought spare socks, why isn't The Claud here and Adrian and GregCollins and George and Sahar, is it really Midnight, have I met you before kind of thing. The one question I never ask myself is What am I doing here? Because the answer to that is always "about to start the most fun time I'll ever have on a bicycle". And tonight was no exception.

As our numbers increased under the shadow of York Minster, we were chatting and generally catching up with each other. I didn't count how many of us we were but I think about 50. The cold air had made most of us put on practically all our reserve clothing - I found myself asking someone I have never met before "do you think I am wearing enough clothes?" which of course is a ridiculous question. In true night ride spirit the reply was helpful and kind "it is probably colder than you think it is" at which point I threw on my over trousers which as it turned out was the best thing I could have done to keep me warm.

On the stroke of Midnight, we headed into the night, down through narrow streets, out towards the city boundary. As we weaved our way out of the city, the street lighting reduced and we were in the countryside with the traffic diminishing to practically nothing. The sky was crystal clear and the moon shone down on all of us.
We headed south east towards Goole. Over a Pegasus Bridge type constructions running over the Trent and we cycled along side the river. This is just a magical ride for me. To be lower than sea level, cycling alongside an embankment looking up at the red and green marker buoys of the channel above is just breathtaking.

As we stopped at Goole, there was an option to split into two groups - team fast and team not so fast. "Oh what the heck?" I thought to myself - "go give yourself a bit of a push." Despite the warning from The Man in Charge "it will be speedy" I was game. I did manage to ask what sort of speed it would be - 18mph and of course I then forgot to ask two crucial questions. "Is that the rolling average"? and "how many miles till the break". Too late - we were off.

Good Grief! They shot off like rockets and I pushed pushed pushed up my pace. On we went, faster and faster. They made it look so effortless! The marker buoys in the channel merged into a blur and after about 10 minutes I was seeing stars but ones in my head not the ones in the sky. I just kept pushing - my heart rate blasting through my body.

On we went. I have no idea how but I managed to hang on in there. Just. Thank goodness for a T-junction! They had to slow down! And then off. Every village sign I saw was never the one I wanted it to be! I didnt have a clue where I was but I knew that if I was left behind I would be stranded - which would be a big problem - on the basis that I didn't actually know which county I was in!

In the blur of it all, I did think it was a beautiful piece of road, curving round almost in figures of eight, little red lights from the riders at the front practically doubling back towards me. Eventually we regrouped again and I had the opportunity to ask how much further it was. Three kilometres was my absolute limit - I wasnt sure I could do another five. Huzzahh it was about 3.5! Made it! What a work out.

Into a fabulously feast-full Village Hall where marvellous peeps were greeting us with tea and home made sandwiches and cakes. I sat down and stuffed my face! 15 minutes later I was beginning to feel human again! Note to self - must go faster on my daily pootles! Within no time at all everyone was in the hall, laughter flying across as chatting levels rose and rose. As is our way we ate the place out of house and home and headed out into the night. With big thanks to those lovely peeps for making it such a great stop. And I hope we have encouraged a cycle trip around Holland...!

Although this ride is flat there are three hills. The first one is a bit of a long drag up, so I changed into my lowest gears and just spun my way to the top. Job Done. This worked for all three of them and before I new where I was the magnificent Humber Bridge was in sight. Spectacular. The sunrise was absolutely breathtaking. The mist over the Humber river, the huge orange ball of a sun and the clear sky had to be seen to be believed.

Just before the bridge, the Brompton TEC Team asked me to take their photograph. This is I did. Then they rode past me! I was horrified!! As they went round a corner a bit further on I did see one of them (fabulously called Charlie) turn his head to check I was still in the vicinity!

Cycling over The Humber Bridge is one of my cycling worlds special moments. What a thing to do. We rode into Hull city centre, past the KC Stadium. I did a bit of waymarking and soon Stuaff and I were rolling our way into Cafe Pizaaz. Delicious breakfast followed by a ride on ..... Whoop Whoop - The Woodrup!! Thank you Vernon. What a treat!! CharlieB had a go and we both agreed it is a mighty fine set of wheels! Then into Weatherspoons for beersies and banter.

The train journey home was an unexpected treat. The railway took us back along the very route we had cycled at sunrise. The Humber was blue and beckoning, the bridge was majestic. We could see the hills we had climbed - somehow looking even steeper than from the saddle.

We dropped through the Counties, rolling hills with farmyards and grazing animals. Church spires surrounded by hamlets and full of lovely lanes that would be perfect for cycling along. Next time perhaps.

Thank you DZ and Agent Hilda. You have created night rides that put a grin on my face just thinking about them. I took some pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...authkey=Gv1sRgCO359Jumn8qZ1QE&feat=directlink

Attachments

• 1 At the Start.jpg
    1 At the Start.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 4 Brommies at the Ready.jpg
    4 Brommies at the Ready.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 5 Regrouping.jpg
    5 Regrouping.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 22 Admiring the Sunrise.jpg
    22 Admiring the Sunrise.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 39 Majestic Bridge.jpg
    39 Majestic Bridge.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 98
  • 56 Team Speedy.jpg
    56 Team Speedy.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 104

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well, that was one fun packed weekend. Sunday afternoon being fun only in an ironic sense (I'll come back to that).
But first, an introduction, or a reintroduction as applicable....
8668416123_709250c05e_b.jpg

This fine four-legged chap is Stanley Squires, currently a resident of Tollerton, Yorkshire. His hobbies include barking, growling (he would make an excellent subwoofer, pun intended), jumping up and down demanding attention (I for one am happy to accede), and eating soil. Those of you who were on LonJog sped past him, his 'brother' Gus, and their human dad Daryl on your way through Tollerton (I stopped for a natter, and to get barked at). So should you cross his path in future, do say hello, and remember he growls at everyone so don't take it personally. He's a sweetie really ;)

My trip to Yorkshire started a bit earlier than most of the southern contingent, apart from having the time off (well, with a late shift I'd have had to anyway, but...) I was combining the ride with a visit to Daryl, his lovely wife Jen (my best mate), and the dogs. There is a cat as well, but she's a bit of a stroppy teenager...So I started the journey north just before eleven, over to King's Cross in time for the 1330. And a brief encounter with Eddie, who was catching an earlier train to Leeds (also staying with a friend). Train up was uneventful and arrived on time two hours later, the departure from York station equally so. On my trip up for the Cleethorpes ride three years back, I managed to get the GPS routing back and forth between York and Tollerton wrong all four times (nearly missed the train home!!), so I'd been extra careful this time in setting the courses this time. Route ones, no stupid hard-to-spot bike paths..and thankfully in practice they all worked. Up to Tollerton, ten and a bit miles (much of the route familiar to Lonjoggers) in 49 minutes, to be greeted by Daryl and a most effective canine alarm system. Several hours of chinwagging and a most excellent bowl of pasta later, plus aforementioned (and utterly magnificent) brownies in The Rucksack, headed south again, in plenty of time for the meet-up. And this time, managed to spot the great big Minster-shaped thing without bother :smile:

Time to admire Uncle Phil's AM and User10571's newly rebuilt Scott before we all headed off, after the safety talk and invocations against whatsisname who failed to turn up after 'reconfirming'. Twit. Very pleasant to see CL and cub on our way out of town. Due of the travails of two of our party, our progress was unexpectedly slow, but despite the nip in the air, as pleasant as the southern varieties. As ever, there were interesting encounters with the human wildlife, this time in Goole, where Rebecca and Adam bailed on account of the former's knee problems. The spread at Garthorpe was most excellent, and the table rapidly emptied as if a plague of lycra-clad locusts had arrived. On we went, the speed didn't increase, but the pleasure did nonetheless. The sunrise brought some truly fantastic views, and my second trip over the Humber Bridge no less memorable than the first. After a welcome cameo from Mike, on we went, Kingston-upon-Hull proving surprisingly picturesque in places- those wide streets with the grass central reservations were lovely.

After a most excellent breakfast at Pasaz and a modicum of chinwagging (some brevity in view of the onward journey I had to make) I made my way north. The train appealed only as a backup option. £20 for an hour or so into York, then still have another ten miles at the end of it? That, to reach Tollerton a mere hour or so earlier barely seemed worth it. So off I slogged into the headwind. Fortunately, most of the climbing came at the beginning, and the throbbing in my right knee that I've been feeling on the last few long runs didn't develop further. Though, sadly, the headwind didn't bugger off somewhere else. Got passed by the clearly speedier MAC when I stopped for a refuel just short of Melbourne, then passed him a bit later when he was dealing with a visitation. My pace wasn't a patch on what I've done in the area before, but given the conditions (mine and the weather) four and a quarter hours for fifty miles wasn't too shabby. Bed beckoned not long after that. Slept like a narcoleptic baby. Surfaced for more chinwagging, a most excellent dinner, and Dr Who on the iPlayer. Fab.

Sod's law, headwind for the return to the station in the morning, but I allowed plenty of time to make the train, so no bother there. Went a little pear-shaped after that. Due to the London Marathon organisers helpfully not consulting the FNRttC calendar before scheduling the event, I was going to have fun and games making my onward train. I'd booked a five quid ticket on Southern out of Victoria for 1317. The York service was scheduled to get in 1244. And it ran late...aargh. 22 minutes from KX to Victoria (via HPC to avoid the road closures) wasn't too bad, but that was one ticket down the drain. And due to engineering work and other delays, there were big issues with services out of both Victoria and Waterloo. On to Clapham Junction, eventually getting a train homeward at 1420 (yup, that was running late too, though it made most of the time up, thankfully). Trip made much more bearable by a most excellent lunch courtesy of Jen. Eventually home just after four. And relax.....at least until I go to work, er, today.....

PS: Pun of the weekend, at the Hungry Horse pub on the A19, plugging their desserts. 'Cake Me Out'. They're not kidding, huge portions there :smile:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
As our numbers increased under the shadow of York Minster, we were chatting and generally catching up with each other. I didn't count how many of us we were but I think about 50. The cold air had made most of us put on practically all our reserve clothing - I found myself asking someone I have never met before "do you think I am wearing enough clothes?" which of course is a ridiculous question. In true night ride spirit the reply was helpful and kind "it is probably colder than you think it is" at which point I threw on my over trousers which as it turned out was the best thing I could have done to keep me warm.
https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...authkey=Gv1sRgCO359Jumn8qZ1QE&feat=directlink

It was I, the most un-hardy northerner, who gave you the fab advice of 'wearing as many clothes as you could' (then held your bike whilst you put on your extra layers) - secretly later wishing I'd borrowed them, as I may have moaned once or twice about how cold it was....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd love the fourth one for the blog!
Even though it features a mudguard!?

Sure, no problem. You should be able to extract the original from the website, I think I switched protection off. But in case I didn't, I'll email the original tonight.

It was I, the most un-hardy northerner, who gave you the fab advice of 'wearing as many clothes as you could' (then held your bike whilst you put on your extra layers) - secretly later wishing I'd borrowed them, as I may have moaned once or twice about how cold it was....
Thank you!! For the advice and for looking after my bicycle whilst I climbed into my over-trousers. I found out much later from Andrew Br that the temperature went down to -1.5 :cold:!! Positively balmy in comparison to the Felpham ride apparently :eek:

Roll on Summer!!:sun:

Mice :hello:

Another one with a ride of two halves!

Rebecca and I had gone up early on Friday, as we'd decided to make this a long weekend, as we weren't returning back home until Sunday - hence the big pannier on my bike.

However, this meant Rebecca had done some walking around York in her cycling shoes, rather than switching to her ordinary shoes, and we think that, coupled with the cold, set off her knees aching which caused issues later. We'd cycled around the city centre, then had some food with friends, and then met up with some of the others in Pizza Express for some more food. I was impressed with Jenny demanding to be allowed to leave her bike inside!

Rolling up to the Minster at around 11:30, you can't fail to be impressed by its sheer grandeur, accentuated by the spotlights dotted around. If you ever get the chance to go round the local museums, they all tend to have various old pictures of the city, which show the walls, with the tops of building just visible, and then the Minster sticking up high above everything else. I believe that within the city walls, new buildings aren't allowed to be more than 2/3 the height of the Minster. I've been around 15 miles outside of York, and you can still clearly see the Minster, so when it was built, it must have had a massive impact to demonstrate the power of the Church, as it would have dominated everything.

Anyway, milling around the base of the Minster, it did seem a smaller crowd than expected, although setting off, it was nice to cycle back along empty streets which 9 hours earlier were packed solid with tourists. The local night life seemed quite restrained this year, although a few drunks moaned about being dazzled by bright lights. Marcus had spotted User10119 loitering at the end of her road and loaded up on cake, so that tradition was nicely maintained.

Rolling out towards the A64 junction, it was nice of Dell to have organised a road closure, meaning we could go up the closed bit in peace and quiet, and just have to manoeuvre on the pavement for the last bit. And then after that, we were away from civilisation. Having probably done 50 or 60 FNRttC now, I've realised that I have a number of favourite rides, not just one, as they all have their own unique characteristics, and one of the special features of this route (amongst others) is just how quickly you get out into the countryside. Unlike cycling in the south-east, you quickly appreciate just how DARK it is out there. As it wasn't a full moon, you could appreciate the stars, although being at the back, I didn't get much opportunity to stand around and gawpe. At one point, somewhere between Sutton and Howden, off to the right, there was some really weird sounds, a sort of whooping, not really like the Clangers, but definitely not a normal bird sound (although earlier on we did see a large owl swoop over and land in a tree next to us). Did anyone else hear those funny sounds?

By now, Rebecca's knees were starting to cause issues, so she had to bail. A couple of weeks ago I'd checked Tescos web site which said their Goole store was open 24 hours, although when we went past it, the signs said it closed at midnight. However after apologising for relinquishing my TEC duties, we rolled back to the store which was open. We had about a 3 hour wait inside before the first train back to Hull, so whilst Rebecca snoozed a bit, I amused myself by reading Private Eye very slowly, word for word, which took 2 hours. There are some very odd adverts in there....... We were also kept entertained as obviously 5 am is when the local night clubs shut, as at 5:12, the store suddenly filled up with young people in various states of undress and drunkeness picking up cans of Red Bull and crisps and other things.

Slowly it got light outside, and then we cycled back to the rain station and hopped on the train to Hull. As mentioned previously, we'd already got Hull to York return tickets (as they're cheaper for 2 people than a Hull to York single), so simply used the York to Hull segment so didn't have to pay anything extra and then we went onto Cafe Pasaz, where we had just under an hour to wait for everyone else to arrive. In fact when we went inside, they'd already had some local customers, so being open early also brought them some passing trade. As mentioned by Vernon, Simon's standing up micro nap was interesting to see - a sudden lean backwards with eyes closed, and then a shake and step forward. Breakfast itself didn't seem as good or generous in size as previously though.

Anyway, as people slowly slipped away into the bright sunshine (very odd to be typing that), the remnants moved across the road to the Admiral of the Humber pub (so named, according to a poster inside, to commemorate the role of a local statesman, in charge of navigation and regulating shipping on the Humber, which ultimately set up Trinity House which amongst other things operates the UK lighthouses). Then we set off again about midday to get our train back to York and go and be tourists again.

So not so much of a FNRttC for us unfortunately. Still, there's always next year!

I think I've completely failed to understand how much fun a FNRttC is and and its not just a CC thing, I wish blogs weren't blocked (work comp) but I'll visit the main site tonight to see whats coming up.

Some of your posts here show its not just a 'forum ride' but something a lot bigger (no disrespect to forum rides!) and I think I'll make an effort to come on the next one in my vicinity soon.

Well done to all^_^

Ps Hull is v.entertaining in the wee hours isnt it!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I think the whooping sound you heard probably was a bird - lapwings. I don't know why they would have been calling in the dark though; maybe our lights set them off?

The bird calls were indeed lapwings and I too wondered why they were calling out in the dark.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The bird calls were indeed lapwings and I too wondered why they were calling out in the dark.
They're quite nocturnal. They have big eyes to see with at night, and a lot of what they eat is worms - which come to the surface at night. At this time of year they're all being quite feisty and territorial (the lapwings not the worms) so they make quite a lot of noise at night.

They have chicks which must be among the cutest anywhere. We've got some video somewhere of one hatching. They start running about as soon as they're out of the egg, a little unsteadily at first - little fluffy pompoms on huge feet...

Another one with a ride of two halves!
Marcus had spotted User10119 loitering at the end of her road and loaded up on cake, so that tradition was nicely maintained.

First you must realise, young Dodo, there is no cake... I wouldn't do a thing like that. Very rule-abiding, me. (Course nobody said anything about cheese scones or flapjack)

The SmallestCub was really very excited about getting woken up at midnight and the whole adventure - and has told various people about it. He thinks he might like to do something similar "when he is a grown up". Personally I'm hoping that next year the stars and the childcare calendars will align, the cycling and injury gods will be benevolent, and I might get to join you all again.

CrinklyUncle

A great ride that I really enjoyed. Many thanks to Simon for the organisation.

My one photo of people at the start:
8672779290_4d3076400a.jpg
fnrttc by CrinkyUncle, on Flickr

After the ride I got about 5 hours sleep before starting the Plains 300km Audax at 11pm on the Saturday evening, with rides to and from train stations it took my weekend total to 484 km (300 miles).

Top Bottom