FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Hull 19 April, 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

It was me !
You promised to send me the link about the best site to search for stolen bikes.

Of course!
Thank you.
G*d my branes are next to useless!

It is http://bikeshd.co.uk/
As recommended by Aka Bob.
It trawls e-Bay, Gumtree and Craig's list for stolen bikes - saves you having to go to three sites.
It goes offline every night for a few hours to be updated - It is the site through which A's Fratello was found and subsequently (thanks to the MET cycle squad) recovered.
G'luck.

AndrewClark

Veteran
Good news: I survived last nights ride, met nice people and had a generally excellent time.

Bad news: When I got home I lugged the bike up the 8 flights of stairs to my flat and left it on the balcony, with the carradice open. It's been a bit wet overnight.....:sad:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A very special thank you DZ for his unparalleled commitment and organisation to not just this ride, but his FNRttC movement. It is truly revolutional :smile:.

As others said, it was cold but this was made up by the warm company and the well organised pit stop at half way.

I rode back to York with McShroom, Uncle Phil and others and cannot thank you all enough for your tremendous support as I sufferingly completed my maiden century.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Of course!
Thank you.
G*d my branes are next to useless!

It is http://bikeshd.co.uk/
As recommended by Aka Bob.
It trawls e-Bay, Gumtree and Craig's list for stolen bikes - saves you having to go to three sites.
It goes offline every night for a few hours to be updated - It is the site through which A's Fratello was found and subsequently (thanks to the MET cycle squad) recovered.
G'luck.

Bikeshed is great if you live in London but finding that http://stolen-bikes.co.uk/ is great for the whole country and has a great section where you can post photos and description of your stolen friend.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
doing the ride in the daytime is not all good. The road down to Howden is a 70mph thing (a couple of years ago we had a retired police traffic officer on the ride, and he said it was a pleasure to go down the B1228 for something a little more fun than a fatal smash) and the roads around Flixborough and the A1079 toward the bridge have mahoosive trucks on, driven at speed.

You'll have noticed that we do a dogleg to avoid the A614 south of Howden. That's because the A614 is truly terrifying, and, while I've not done it at night, I've no real desire to give it a go.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
doing the ride in the daytime is not all good. The road down to Howden is a 70mph thing (a couple of years ago we had a retired police traffic officer on the ride, and he said it was a pleasure to go down the B1228 for something a little more fun than a fatal smash) and the roads around Flixborough and the A1079 toward the bridge have mahoosive trucks on, driven at speed.

You'll have noticed that we do a dogleg to avoid the A614 south of Howden. That's because the A614 is truly terrifying, and, while I've not done it at night, I've no real desire to give it a go.

The aforementioned roads are fine at weekends. I've pedalled along them on pie quests, calendered Audaxes and DIY Audaxes without any intimidating moments because the larger vehicles are absent and the traffic levels are generally low. It is worth doing if only to spend some time exploring the tops of the river embankments, seeing the clock at Whitgift which has thirteen in roman numerals at the twelve o'clock position and how dull the dullest square kilometre really is.

U

User10571

d..... and the roads around Flixborough and the A1079 toward the bridge have mahoosive trucks on, driven at speed.

If I'm honest, looking at the industrial estates which we passed in that area, it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear you say that.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm just in for the night having showered when I returned from York and gone back out again to see my second gig within 20 hours. I arrived at York Minster having been to a Frank Turner gig at Leeds University first and it was good to see familiar faces from the South and Local. I'd got my 'Woodruff' with me - I couldn't ruin Mice's ride by me turning up on anything else. The ride was largely uneventful though i did get a turn at way marking - a promotion and a sign that I was riding faster than I've done in the past. I know the area ridden through quite well having done Audax rides on mosts of the roads used in daylight. The land feels very different when ridden through at night. I'm convinced that hills are less steep at night. The details of niceties of tjhe ride have been amply covered so I'll summarise my pleasures taken home from the ride.

I'd like to thank:
  • Dellzeqq for letting me way mark - I felt dead important
  • Agent Hilda for her hill climbing distance learning package - it worked faultlessly I got up every hill without having to walk and in her absence.
  • User13710 and Mice for the parting hugs
  • User10571 for the coffee served while I was keeping a watchfull eye on the bikes ouside Pazaz
  • Stuaff for the chocolate brownie which led to no pies being harmed today in the pursuit of calories.
  • And an 'Outstanding Contribution to Microsleep' award to Dellzeqq who managed to fall asleep mid conversation while standing up outside Cafe Pazaz
  • The rest of the riders for adding to the unique atmosphere that makes FNRttC events so special.
I've followed Susie up many a hill, and I've always found her an inspiration

swansonj

Guru
There was some interest, which I forgot to mention in my earlier report, about the Ordnance Survey's bleakest kilometre square near Ousefleet. There is nothing in it to trouble the map-makers other than a small stretch of high-voltage cable which hangs over the southwest corner. Kim, of this parish, thought there might be a pylon within the KM square, but I am delighted to be able to report that, having studied the satellite view on Google, and compared it to Ordnance Survey, that there are no pylons within the square. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=482989&Y=422260&A=Y&Z=120 refers. The arrow marks the pylon nearest to the square, but it is just outside.
A-hem. Because I can sense the serious anxiety about this issue, and I sense that several of you will get no sleep until you know the answer, I am delighted to reassure you that pylon 4ZQ033 (L6 construction, straightline D tower with 2.35 m extension, built at 275 kV in 1969, uprated to 400 kV in 1971) has its base centre outside that bleakest kilometre square. But as the base dimensions of the pylon are about 11 m square, I think we'll find that the eastern two legs are about 3 or 4 metres insde the square. So that poor, bleak, kilometre square is not in fact denied the comfort of at least half a pylon.

Top Bottom