FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Hull 9th September 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hopefully

I think I've found us a halfway stop, of which more later.

The route is just over seventy miles and pretty flat. We'll leave York as we did last year and make our way to Melbourne for a swift cup of coffee - hopefully the Sutton Bridge is open. We'd then take minor roads down to Goole, which we enter over a girder bridge that might, I think, have been the most easterly crossing point of the Ouse prior to the construction of the wonderful suspension bridge to the east.

We'll then go east on to the Isle of Axholme, which is one of those parts of Eastern England that is all but below sea level, stopping at the Bay Horse in Garthorpe before going south and east, crossing the Trent and skirting Scunthorpe. We then go up a couple of hills (not big stuff by the standards of Surrey) before we cross the Humber Bridge in a northerly direction. From there it's a hop, skip and a jump to Hull for breakfast. I must admit I'm temped by the A63 which runs along the water side, but we may have to settle for the inland road.

Now - this isn't confirmed yet, but I was wondering if any of you knew a cafe in Hull, not too far from the station, with an estuary view? Is there anything near Victoria Pier? And whether or not any of you fancies a daytime recce ride some Saturday in June? I intend to use Grand Central's fifteen quid offer if there are any left.

Aha - I'd been discussing the possibility of this ride with User10119 and Mr Bunbury a few weeks ago. I'm not free in June, but you can put me on the list of attendees.

Also, East Coast have tickets for £13 during the week if booked on their web site, but Grand Central still seem to have 1 train every Saturday morning at £15, so you should be OK.

frank9755

Cyclist
Fixed that for you Frank... :whistle:

Intriguing thought, Davy! It's just under 200 miles. A bit on the long side, but you should be into your stride by that point in the season, so not out of the question with an early start. Head through the chilterns and veer north...

Argument against is that I just don't think going north from London is as interesting as the ride to the west. London to Cardiff really is a feast of a ride with the Chilterns as appetiser, climbing the Chilterns, crossing the watershed and swooping down to the Severn Bridge as main course and flying along the fabulous A48 to finish off. It might be that I don't know it well enough, but going north is just a bit uneventful in comparison.

The advantage, of course, is that we would be far less likely to have a screaming headwind!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
London to York is an absolutely lovely route. I doubt that it's a sensible warm-up for a night ride, but St. Albans, Hockliffe, Newport Pagnall, Northampton, Market Harborough, Melton Mowbray, Bingham, Edwinstowe, Worksop, Doncaster, Selby, York is really a great ride.

frank9755

Cyclist
London to York is an absolutely lovely route. I doubt that it's a sensible warm-up for a night ride, but St. Albans, Hockliffe, Newport Pagnall, Northampton, Market Harborough, Melton Mowbray, Bingham, Edwinstowe, Worksop, Doncaster, Selby, York is really a great ride.

Is it indeed... Clearly I don't know it well enough yet. Must explore that direction a bit more.

London to York makes me think of Dick Turpin - who of course used to rob people wearing a buff!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Is it indeed... Clearly I don't know it well enough yet. Must explore that direction a bit more.

London to York makes me think of Dick Turpin - who of course used to rob people wearing a buff!

*wets my self laughing!!!!*

Sorry Dell, didnt want to hi-jack your thread... But Frank, am up for it..

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

I've been planning out a 186 mile ride from London to Sheffield similarly along those lines but slightly east to do in a day, but no one will ride it with me :thumbsup:.

\o/

Yes to recce runs, if you can bear to go slowly enough. No, I don't know a cafe but will enquire of a couple of Hull residents of my acquaintance. Sutton Bridge (and Walmgate Bar) haven't been shut since the last time you all came here. And they've patched up the worst bit of the road to Elvington - there's still a couple of miles where it's a bit rumbly and there's the odd pothole but after your escapades in Manchester and Wales I suspect you won't even notice them.

And again, \o/

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It seems pretty unlikely I can make the recce unless it's a weekday in late June. I wish you well with it.

As to the route what's wrong with going close to Drax and then going through Thorne before heading east? I've been past Drax in the dark and it's pretty good. I really like some of the villages round there like Snaith, Camblesforth and Carlton, some of the best in that bit of the world.

It seems extremely unlike the sutton bridge would be closed. It is just there is a dearth of bridges in North Yorkshire so when they get closed once in a blue moon it causes huge problems (like at Stamford Bridge repairs).

Top Bottom