FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Hull 9th September 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lads and lasses - enjoy!

And if you have a chance as you cross the Humber Bridge, throw a ****** rock over, as a curse at the "unscrupulous ******* employers" who try and make Employment Tribunals support them NOT paying a wage. Not one single ******* penny.

Fortunately not me - but I'm writing all sorts of stuff tonight for a friend ............... and casting wistful gazes out the window :angry:

Next time?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Have a good ride guys and enjoy the warm air!

In Garthorpe, scoffing cake. Marvellous. :biggrin:
Hope that's cake you bought there, or you'll get me told off! I am on platform 11. Since i failed to do the FNRttC on my bike, i shall damn well do a smrttc onnatrain! I'm assuming some reprobates will still be waiting for bar to open when i get there :smile:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Just got home...

fantastic night, fantastic company & fantastic organisation

chapeau to one & all :thumbsup:

Shaun

Founder
Really enjoyed the ride, company, food, weather - it all came together to make for a cracking night ride.

CrinklyLion - that was awful bad luck with your fall and I hope your arm wrist gets better soon. And fancy coming all the way over to Hull on the train to see us in the morning - what commitment eh!! :thumbsup:

Thanks to Simon and the FNRttC regulars for organising it and keeping us going in the right direction (I even had a spot at marshalling myself - with a spectacular fail when I turned around, overbalanced, and then couldn't unclip quick enough; looked a bit like the Pope kissing the tarmac, only at much higher speed and with far less ceremony ... :laugh:).

Looking forward to seeing some of the pics and hope everyone got home safely.

Until the next time ... :hello:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Just what is it that makes FNRttC so addictive?
Is it the company? Is it the choice of varied and always interesting routes?
Who knows? Whatever it is, it brought User10119 all the way out to Hull to meet us, broken wrist notwithstanding.

Thank you Simon and waymarkers, even for the final wicked 10% climb of the morning. That bridge should be in any list of 1001 structures to see before you die (unless it already is).
Halfway stop in Garthorpe was another example of how it should and can be done.

As for the end cafe, from a veggie's viewpoint, breakfasts can be a bit lacking in effort, but that one was the best I've come across in any of our regular venues.

On the last leg of journey home. Straight into a shower and into a tux for a dinner do, so no sleep for me until gone midnight, I reckon.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
A few non-ride related incidents detracted from the enjoyment; passed out woman (pissed and asleep ?) on a grass verge on the way to the station. Dealing with her i.e. getting help when everybody else was walking by, led to us getting our train to York by the skin of our teeth. Then there was Crinkly Lion's fall before we set off, the full consequences of which only became apparent later and then, later still.

Apart from that Mrs Lincoln Other than that, it was a delight.
It was great to meet up again with some familiar faces and equally lovely to meet some new ones.
Fantastic organisation, as ever, by Simon with a well marshalled route, very well catered and friendly refreshment stops and almost perfect weather.
Helen, on her first FNRttC, also loved it and she was very impressed by the way the ride flowed. That's something that I take/took for granted (after only 3 FNRttC).
Shame on me.
The team work, whether organised or impromptu meant that there were few noticeable gaps or pauses. Kudos to the TECs who fixed the mechanicals so quickly and the signposting on the fly.

Lovely day/ night.

Thanks.

Tinytwin

This was my first night ride and hopefully not the last. Despite the tiredness people were friendly and welcoming, even if the pace at the end was near flat-out and we struggled to talk! Thank you Simon for organising a very pleasant ride - and to the impromptu marshalls who had to whizz back to catch up with the rest of the pack.

To the chap who kindly gave me a spare inner tube when I was repairing the first puncture of the night ride (an old patch blew): I was not able to buy you a drink at the half-way stop. Perhaps you would get in touch with me via PM and let me have a contact address to which I can post you a new tube or a box of chocolates (please state which!).

To Crinkly Lion: I hope the wrist is feeling OK and that you will be riding in a day or two.

This was nearly an absolutely fabulous ride - marred by the incredibly unlucky incident that resulted in Crinkly Lion fracturing her elbow. Such very bad luck - wishing you a very speedy recovery. Your fabulous cakery and brilliantly positive attitude - not least by leaving A&E and taking the train to Hull to join the breakfast and beer party - are a lesson to us all.

My train journey to York, courtesy of Flying Dodo who had participated in the Dellzeqq-Adrian-The Claud-Aperitif Academy of advance train ticket bookings but was then unable to do the ride meant that I was on a 15.08 train from London along with Mistral. Thank you Flying Dodo (I hope you had a good speedy olympics ride today)

Arriving at 1800hrs we took the trans pennine cycle path for 12 miles or so (it literally goes across the turf at York Racecourse) to join CharlieB in a hostelry by a river. This led on to another pub serving excellent food and then a night ride back along the path in good time for the Midnight run. Having said goodbye to Crinkly Lion and being all laden with cake we headed out of York, led by Mr Bunbury - who had completed this years PBP in 72 hours 43 minutes!! That is just awesome.

The route was incredible - because (until the last 10 miles or so) it was flatter than a pancake. The roads just went on and on, very little waymarking required because it was so direct. We followed the Trent (the same one upon which Stoke is sited apparently) and we were below sea level. Going over the Humber Bridge was a real treat.

There were a couple of punctures - excluding the two that I had (one on the way to the pub and the other outside Kings Cross station on the way home - thank you Mistral, CharlieB and Adrian for marvellousness assistance.)

A great group of people, as ever, a great route and great ride. Thank you Dellzeqq and Suzie. It was a mighty fine ride (apart from the CL incident, obviously). Get well soon.

I took some pics

M :bicycle:

Attachments

• Roll Call.jpg
    Roll Call.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 83
  • FNRttC Manequins.jpg
    FNRttC Manequins.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 80
  • The Man behind the Shirt.jpg
    The Man behind the Shirt.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Unidentifiable objects on an FNRttC.jpg
    Unidentifiable objects on an FNRttC.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Looking at his watch or snoozing.jpg
    Looking at his watch or snoozing.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 75
  • Tis a bridge but not too far.jpg
    Tis a bridge but not too far.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Cheers Admin.jpg
    Cheers Admin.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 77
4 to 6 weeks off the bike, unfortunately. I fractured my elbow :sad: But it's ok. My ex mother in common law is coming on tues to help look after me and kids. (Is there a smiley for apprehensive fixed grin?) Even though i only did a couple of miles, it was grand to see everyone. I'll just have to get over The Fear and come join you in That London one of these days!

Matt J

Just signed up to say thanks for the great ride, nice to meet you all and thanks to Simon and Co for the fantastic organization.

Matt.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
[QUOTE 1408096"]
4 to 6 weeks off the bike, unfortunately. I fractured my elbow :sad: But it's ok. My ex mother in common law is coming on tues to help look after me and kids. (Is there a smiley for apprehensive fixed grin?) Even though i only did a couple of miles, it was grand to see everyone. I'll just have to get over The Fear and come join you in That London one of these days!
[/quote]

Ouch CL, get well soon! It was great to see you at the cafe this morning and well done for persevering!

Thank you for another great ride. The flat terrain made for a much more bunched ride than some, which gave the ride a very nice conversation atmosphere, and thanks to the girls in the pub at half way for a well organised spread. Breakfast was also very nice (and served to our tables :ohmy: :biggrin:) and the views from the bridge were as stunning as always.

I rode back to York with MrCharly, MsCharly and Doosh (YACF) so 115 miles all in (and very warm in the afternoon). Driving home after that wasn't going to be easy so I had a kip in the car pulled up in a layby on the A59 and got home about 8ish.

Out of all the blurry pics, I've managed to extract some photos here, and if anyone's interested then the GPS track of the ride can be found here.

PS Tinytwin, don't worry about the inner tube. :smile:
I carry it so that it can be used if needed, so it's pretty much a consumable anyway (and they don't cost much when bought in bulk).

Top Bottom