FNRttC Fridays Mini tour: London to Paris, July 23-25

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
Aha! I still might go and have a look, but I'm not at all sure about carrying my bike up those steps.

Worse case, you turn around and cycle a mile back to the more accessible ramp, assuming that it is as cyclable as it appears from the images. I think I could easily carry Red down those steps, but I'd be less inclined to go up !

TimO

Guru
yes, we'll have breakfast at a nice Italian café which is serving beer in the morning.

Where is this cafe? Previously we've eaten at a truckers cafe, under the main road, which was good, but unfortunately closed, and at the port's own cafe. If it's near there, I guess it makes sense to use the NCR route out of Newhaven to cut the corner and avoid the main road.

The one good thing is that the part of the NCR that used to be an unmade bridleway is now avoided by going down a steep tarmac road onto the coast road, using a pelican crossing, and then the pavement on the other side which is now a shared path. Once in Peacehaven, the choice is the quiet back streets or the straight through, slightly busier, main drag.

I'm guessing that this is the route from the vicinity of the Fort, up Gibbon Road, and then down The Hwy, with that being the unmade bridleway? As I recall, it was very unmade, so was "interesting" to cycle along! Sustrans still has this on their map as Route 2. Is the tarmaced road along the same way, or is Sustrans's map out of date?

TimO

Guru
That's very close to where Teef, myself (and A N Other, who I can't remember!) peered at the ferry in the port, and is pretty much perfectly placed to continue up Gibbon Road.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
an updated roll call so far:

Olaf (me)
Kat (Dieppe to Paris)
@Gordon P
@stuart G (up to Gisors, or just Newhaven depending on ferry)
@stuart A (up to Saint-Saens)
@mllond
@wanda2010
@rb58 (to Newhaven) ?
@ianmac62 (to Newhaven)
@User (to Newhaven)
@TimO (to Newhaven)
John (Orange Brompton, to Newhaven)

A few more people have expressed interest via the mailing list in riding up to Paris, but DFDS still looks like an insurmountable obstacle.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sofa bed in Saint-Saëns remains available for anyone who cracks the DFDS conundrum. To avoid the no-doubt horrendous catering, I'm thinking a supermarket trip in Newhaven is in order- Sainsbury's just along the 259 & there's a Tesco Express IIRC.

Also, if they're of use, I have five metro/RER tickets left from last weekend- if not, they'll keep...

Last edited:

StuAff

Sofa bed in Saint-Saëns remains available for anyone who cracks the DFDS conundrum. To avoid the no-doubt horrendous catering, I'm thinking a supermarket trip in Newhaven is in order- Sainsbury's just along the 259 & there's a Tesco Express IIRC.

Also, if they're of use, I have five metro/RER tickets left from last weekend- if not, they'll keep...
Supermarket update: Lidl in town, there's a Co-op right round the corner from Luna Rossa.

ianmac62

Guru
So, as part of my practising for standing around looking bemused, I must ask this question, please:

The heading of this thread is "Fridays Mini tour: London to Paris, July 23-25" but we are meeting at 2345 at HPC on Friday 22nd July, aren't we?

StuAff

So, as part of my practising for standing around looking bemused, I must ask this question, please:

The heading of this thread is "Fridays Mini tour: London to Paris, July 23-25" but we are meeting at 2345 at HPC on Friday 22nd July, aren't we?
We are....

StuAff

Since at least three of you will be staying in the Marais, I have a restaurant recommendation. Le Loir dans La Théirè at the eastern end of Rue des Rosiers. Closes at 7.30, so may not be an option for Sunday night, but they do a well-regarded brunch. Had lunch in there on the Sunday. Excellent omelette, and from the rather fantastic cake selection, I went for the lemon meringue pie, which gets much comment online. Less pie, more scale model of Mont Blanc. Portion control seems to be based on 'what would the customer like?', which suited me. €8, but I was happy....!
27663068586_37d11aa781_k.jpg

Top Bottom