Fridays Tour 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
OK - let me run this by you. Two houses, one in Tetford, one in Skendleby. They're just under nine miles apart. Skendleby is about ten miles from the sea. Combined occupancy 46 plus campers at Tetford. Discounted price for the pair £7600 - so a bit under £200 a person. Travel to

It's do-able, but would it be fun? My thought is that hardier souls stay in one (probably Tetford) and we make it a kind of satellite. First thing in the morning the Tetfordites trundle over to Skendleby. There's probably be a couple of huge get-togethers at either place.

OK - let me run this by you....house in Brix, 12km or so from Cherbourg, (ferries from Poole and Portsmouth, 90 minutes to five hours) sleeps 36 adults and eight children/teenagers. That's not quite big enough, but setting that aside for now...about £5k. It is a bit scrummy looking http://www.simplychateau.com/chatea...green/in-region/23-normandy/#terms_conditions

Given the railway connections to Portsmouth (Southern and SWT) we could probably train down from London, although some might prefer to drive.

Close to magnificent unspoilt (if windswept) beaches

Both sound nice to me. Decent-looking boozers in Skendleby and Tetford, and cider in Normandy. I'm happy to do a fair bit of cooking.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

theclaud

Openly Marxist
1916518 said:
Overspill is such a potentially divisive word. Ludicrously cheerful house and sensibly grumpy house or, even better, cheerfulness inducing and grumpiness inducing houses.

Which one will you be going in?

StuartG

slower but further
Would the UK option include a reprise of the Friday Night Ride to Bingham with a nice easy hang right on Sunday to Tetford?
Might make for a really nice start.

martint235

Dog on a bike
1916518 said:
Overspill is such a potentially divisive word. Ludicrously cheerful house and sensibly grumpy house or, even better, cheerfulness inducing and grumpiness inducing houses.
Why not have two teams, the glass half full team and the glass half empty team. This could lead to a third "Why is my glass completely empty" team but we would have to deal with that as and when.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Would the UK option include a reprise of the Friday Night Ride to Bingham with a nice easy hang right on Sunday to Tetford?
Might make for a really nice start.
Absolutely, yes.

The Portsmouth and Poole ferry timetables are a bit complicated, but, equally, we might do the same thing again. Some of you will know that I've been absolutely mad keen to do an FNRttC to Portsmouth for years, but have been put off by the locals telling me it's a really bad idea.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Absolutely, yes.

The Portsmouth and Poole ferry timetables are a bit complicated, but, equally, we might do the same thing again. Some of you will know that I've been absolutely mad keen to do an FNRttC to Portsmouth for years, but have been put off by the locals telling me it's a really bad idea.

:rofl: September 21st. You know you want to.....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
:rofl: September 21st. You know you want to.....
no thanks, I'm far to pretty to do hard time....

I have to say that the proprietor of Skendleby and Tetford gets back to me with answers in minutes. That, and the welcome given to campers at Tetford gives me confidence. I'm reminded of Alex Wallace at Jedburgh.

Here's an example

Ruth
good morning
the nine miles bit took me by surprise, but we're giving it serious consideration. I think we'd put the early morning types in Tetford, and they would ride over to Skenderby first thing.
If the weather was fine we'd probably want to have a couple of big al fresco evening meals in Skenderby, and maybe one in Tetford.
Can you give me a few days to consult?
Simon
Hi Simon
Sounds good - then the late morning types get a lie in I guess?
We have BBQ's at both houses and plenty outside space so no problem.
Let me know if you have any questions
Ruth

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
no thanks, I'm far to pretty to do hard time....
But just think of the advantages. Not only does someone show you The Right Way to get down here,you get breakfast in a castle, there is much of architectural merit for you to impart your wisdom on, and, and you'll like this one best of all:
When your lovely wife complains about all the climbing you can smile sweetly, point at me or Hummers, and say 'his fault' :smile:

Sketchley

Über Member
I care not about where (home or abroad) only that it with the same fantastic people, apart from avoiding the A9 that is.....

Re food and drink, with a house that size and that number of people staying in one place, getting caterers in has got to be worth considering and would I think be cheaper, especially if drink is considered, than going to local pubs every night. They could also provide breakfast and even make packed lunches; cakes etc for the day time and really keep the cost down.

If you take a two house approach might I suggest a minibus to run people back and forth for meals, nights out and to meet in the morning, even if that means a couple of trips? Bikes could stay at one place if necessary. Also a minibus could act as support vehicle if required delivering the packed lunches and cakes mentioned above.

One of the attractions of the base camp approach for me is that you could run a couple of different rides each day at different distances, speeds, degree of difficulty, start times etc, maybe meeting at the same point and time for lunch. Therefore people of different ability could ride the way they want at least on some days, i.e. speedy boys can have a fast day, and other days you might want to run a ride somewhere cultural and sample the culture. It might also mean I could convince Mrs Sketchley to come along and at least cycle one day.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Chris

you've hit the nail on the head - almost. I'm acutely conscious of having dragged people away from their nearest and dearest for a week, and it would be wonderful if the roads and the terrain in the vicinity allowed us to do exactly as you suggest. Run a ride from Tetford, that passed through Skendleby, and then returned, but with a short cut to or from our lunch spot. However...conveying people by minibus might be difficult (and expensive), and, in any case, best arranged locally.

I'd be very much averse to the less cycling cyclists being turned in to a support team, though. It would be their holiday just as much as anybody else's.

I had thought that we'd need a van, much along the lines of the one we hired this year if we did took the Lincolnshire option I think the nine miles would be neither here nor there.

If we went to France then I think some people would go by car, and there might be a bit of luggage transfer from those travelling by bike to those travelling by car. Alternatively the modest distance from Cherbourg to Brix would allow us to put luggage in a taxi at Cherbourg and send it on ahead.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm acutely conscious of having dragged people away from their nearest and dearest for a week,

The advantage of a single-centre holiday is that nearests and dearests who do not go anywhere near a bike could also be accommodated.

LIke claud, I'm more than happy to do a spot of cooking. A UK-based centre would have the advantage that Mr Sainsbury or Mr Ocado might be persuadable to deliver groceries - spaghetti carbonara for 40-odd can be knocked up inside an hour, but dragging the ingredients from the nearest supermarket might be stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom