Fridays Tour 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snail Bait

Count me in too, as long as it's not the end of August.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
1912380 said:
No. Sandals are to be worn naked or with carrier bags, that is the law
Well I am wearing black thick woolly socks with sandals right now in the privacy of my own home. So there. Also wore them in the backyard when I cleaned the bike, which was astonishingly clean after LonJog, probably because of the torrential downpour lasting hours on the last day. I also then took it to the LBS for some rear gear fettling because ICBA and fell in love with a retro black cap similar to Eddy's but by Altura instead of Rapha so it cost a tenner not thirty quid. I bought it with a mind full of posing in French cafes and pretending I'm A Proper Cyclist if the Tour goes to France next year.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
When I first saw dellzeqq's photo of Skendleby Hall I thought he'd taken the advice of the previous poster, martin235, and found a French chateau! Delighted to discover that it was in my native county, albeit a long way east of my old haunts. You'd be in the vicinity of Lincolnshire Poacher cheese and Bateman's beers, which can be combined in several interesting variations - although easiest just to eat one and drink t'other. Smith's smokery (at Friskney) does some fantastic smoked eel: don't miss it. Apologies to any veggies - they also do some nice smoked cheeses.

If you do decide to stay there, I'd strongly advise incorporating parts of the bluestone heath road into at least one of your rides - it's an old ridgeway route stretching from about 4 miles W of Louth to about 4 miles NNW of Skendleby. Once you're on it, it's only mildly undulating, but there's quite a few good climbs up to it from various points, some involving chevrons - sorry, TMN - contrary to some folk's preconceptions, Lincolnshire isn't entirely flat! Just check there's no motorbike events at Cadwell Park, as these attract some rather dangerous fans.

For amateur historians, there are round and long barrows in the wolds (mostly scarcely noticeable, it has to be admitted), roman roads, some of which can be ridden if you're into roughstuff(!), and loads of DMVs (Deserted Medieval Villages), although none to match Wharram Percy. The main glory is in the churches. Oh, and you could maybe swing a visit to Dave Yates's workshop just S of Coningsby.

DZ, you're right about the A roads, but occasionally they're unavoidable. Luckily the minor roads more than make up for it. Still not sure why you're so dismissive of Wales; there's loads of possibilities there, and it's a huge area, nearly the size of, er, Wales. I suppose the chance of meeting Luke's Dad could be a deciding factor.

After all that eulogising, I'll probably spend next weekend in Woodhall Spa, but three weeks in France in September (Loire valley, then Normandy).

Oh, and there's nowt wrong with wearing socks and sandals.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
OK - let me run this by you. Two houses, one in Tetford, one in Skendleby. They're just under nine miles apart. Skendleby is about ten miles from the sea. Combined occupancy 46 plus campers at Tetford. Discounted price for the pair £7600 - so a bit under £200 a person. Travel to

It's do-able, but would it be fun? My thought is that hardier souls stay in one (probably Tetford) and we make it a kind of satellite. First thing in the morning the Tetfordites trundle over to Skendleby. There's probably be a couple of huge get-togethers at either place.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Tentative. There's a couple of things it would depend on, finances nearer the time and also the actual timings. Like mmmartin I'm intending to do LEL so that would effectively rule out July and early August. If the majority want those months though, I won't feel hurt. :sad:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Providing dates work out, I think you can count srw and me in too (haven't consulted formally yet, mind).
Consider me consulted.

My uncle and aunt who used to live in Ainderby Steeple retired to Louth - I think they're still there.

Louth is a big enough town, from what I remember, that it's got options for eating and drinking.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
OK - let me run this by you....house in Brix, 12km or so from Cherbourg, (ferries from Poole and Portsmouth, 90 minutes to five hours) sleeps 36 adults and eight children/teenagers. That's not quite big enough, but setting that aside for now...about £5k. It is a bit scrummy looking http://www.simplychateau.com/chatea...green/in-region/23-normandy/#terms_conditions

Given the railway connections to Portsmouth (Southern and SWT) we could probably train down from London, although some might prefer to drive.

Close to magnificent unspoilt (if windswept) beaches

martint235

Dog on a bike
OK - let me run this by you....house in Brix, 12km or so from Cherbourg, (ferries from Poole and Portsmouth, 90 minutes to five hours) sleeps 36 adults and eight children/teenagers. That's not quite big enough, but setting that aside for now...about £5k. It is a bit scrummy looking http://www.simplychateau.com/chatea...green/in-region/23-normandy/#terms_conditions

Given the railway connections to Portsmouth (Southern and SWT) we could probably train down from London, although some might prefer to drive.

Ooh I'll always prefer a foreign option.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Sounds good (and not because I live about a mile and a half from the ferry terminal). Would note it says 'comfortably sleeps' those numbers- we have people who are used to sleeping anywhere they can fit :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom