Fried eggs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
I always used think that better quality eggs had a more yellow yolk, then i found out its just that some chicken farms add something to the feed to make the eggs have a brighter colour yolk.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Eggs age and as they do that they become more alkaline (loss of water and co2) protein matrices inside lose their properties.
Also while not exactly always working, usually buying organic helps
https://www.foodsafetyguru.co.uk/whats-written-on-your-egg/
Also eggs dont like temp variations

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I experimented with making mayonnaise a while ago. For that, you need really fresh eggs. The best I could find (in a city) were at the back of the Waitrose egg shelves as fellow parishioners have pointed out.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm often disappointed with eggs purchased from a supermarket and have struggled to find some that don't spread that watery white all over the pan. A consistent good egg isn't really something you get at the average supermarket.
local farm eggs would be one source of quality eggs I guess but that's not really an option...any sources of consistently good eggs ,? I'm considering trying some from Waitrose or similar.

any egg consists of Yolk, Tight White and Loose White. As it ages the tight white loses moisture into the loose white.

A trick is to put the egg into a Tea strainer, the loose white will pass through and the strainer will retain the yolk and Tight White

Reactions: gbb

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

How very dare you!

Waitrose do the Duchy range so as Charles is such a great advocate of organics should be good.
I read the other day we should be eating white eggs as they come from less aggressive hens so don't need their beaks clipping. Anyone know if that's true?
I believe that the colour of the shell is determined by the chickens diet. A free roaming chicken will consume dirt with their food as they eat randomly from the ground, whereas a factory chicken will have it's diet carefully controlled to ensure the desired colour of eggshell that the customer specifies.The shell is made of the dirt, gravel, rocks, boulders, etc' that the chickens consume.
Aren't there some chicken growers on here?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I believe that the colour of the shell is determined by the chickens diet. A free roaming chicken will consume dirt with their food as they eat randomly from the ground, whereas a factory chicken will have it's diet carefully controlled to ensure the desired colour of eggshell that the customer specifies.The shell is made of the dirt, gravel, rocks, boulders, etc' that the chickens consume.
@mudsticks has some.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd always believed that the colour of the Chicken determined the colour of the Egg, white Chickens produce white Eggs as for gravel I thought every bird needed some to digest it's food. Oh and eggshell is Calcium not 'dirt' :wacko:

I'd always believed that the colour of the Chicken determined the colour of the Egg, white Chickens produce white Eggs as for gravel I thought every bird needed some to digest it's food. Oh and eggshell is Calcium not 'dirt' :wacko:
That sounds way more plausible, somebody probably told me that about the dirt thing when I was 7 and I've believed it ever since.