Friend insanely close passed by team sky coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Are all non professionals amateurs?
Are all non-amateurs professionals?
That was not the case in the past, when "Professionals" were limited to the medicine and law (I think - maybe clergy too). The idea of a professional engineer was new in the 19th century[1]. Even now, it implies more than just being paid - but a particular degree of competence and/or membership of a professional body. Like CI5

[1] Reference: A program I saw on telly once. I forget which one.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm a professional chemist. All it means is that I have to pay subs to the RSC and I can sign passport photos.

It's a headline. Racing riders are hit by team vehicles and camera cars with disturbing regularity. The headline writer was looking for a single word to indicate the incident did not take place during a race nor involved one of the team riders. Hence "amateur". Seems a perfectly cromulent word in the context.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't see what a theatre company has to do with chemists.
I don't know, the amount of powder some of these actors are alleged to use.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's a headline. Racing riders are hit by team vehicles and camera cars with disturbing regularity. The headline writer was looking for a single word to indicate the incident did not take place during a race nor involved one of the team riders. Hence "amateur". Seems a perfectly cromulent word in the context.
It's got to be a cyclechat first!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Not being a follower of the Simpsons :heat:, I had to look up that one. :smile::smile:

It's brilliant and definitely to be remembered and used ... :wahhey:

Top Bottom