Friendly policeman.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fudgepanda

You have police in patrol cars. Wow. ^_^

We've got about 6 traffic cars for the whole of South Manchester !
Unfortunately, like the Ambulance Service, the Police work on a (largely) firefighting principle. In other words, although patrols are assigned to a particular Division, they frequently have to go and assist on another, and not necessarily a neighbouring one either. The other night a car from Rochdale (North West) went to a crash in Stretford (West). A car from Ashton under Lyne (East) attended a Domestic in Bolton (North West), and so on. An overturned car near the City Centre required two patrols to deal with the crash and another two to seal both ends of the road off until some TPCSOs turned up and released two of the cars.

You may be a little pessimistic with your estimate of 6.....but not all that pessimistic if truth be told.

400bhp

Guru
All these anecdotes.

Must be the same copper:whistle:

fudgepanda

My son was given a lift home by a police officer during the heavy snow the other week. He had been out for a few beers with his mates and decided to walk home despite the weather and the fact he was wearing a T-shirt! Officer spotted him walking along in a near blizzard, and stopped and gave him a lift.
Geordies ain't what they used to be. There was a time when any self respecting resident of Boldon would have punched the Cop for doubting that he was hard enough to walk home in a T-shirt during a blizzard!!

Especially as he'd have worked down the pit.

fossala

Guru
I do think that some police are good. But you have to remember, they aren't there to protect you, they are there to protect the law.

fudgepanda

And heres one of them ;)

589_Saxon_Police_HK.jpg
Can't actually remember what that vehicle was called, but I do remember it was based on a Bedford TM 4X4 and had a 208bhp Bedford Blue Series 8.2 litre turbodie.....Oh God, I need to get out more.

fudgepanda

They all happened at the same time did they? :whistle:
I'm sayin' nuffink til my brief gets 'ere. Anyway where's my cup o' tea?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I often see a local PCSO out and about. In good weather he walks about 5 miles to Rhyl. I have spoken to him a few times (about things) and he has always seemed nice.
He got on my bus today but unfortunately I didnt have the chance to speak to him.

He doesnt really know me but when I see any police officer, it reassures me that there is some form of enforcement on the streets. Even if it is a voluntary one.

PCSO is not a voluntary position they are a civilian member of the police staff employed as a uniformed no-warranted office

Birchy

Regular
Geordies ain't what they used to be. There was a time when any self respecting resident of Boldon would have punched the Cop for doubting that he was hard enough to walk home in a T-shirt during a blizzard!!

Especially as he'd have worked down the pit.

Haha! This!

The vast majority of rank and file coppers are ordinary, decent folk.
Anyone above the rank of PC, however, is a different matter, generally. Think politician.

fudgepanda

PCSO is not a voluntary position they are a civilian member of the police staff employed as a uniformed no-warranted office
You are correct V, PCSOs and TPCSOs are non-warranted officers who have effectively taken on the role previously filled by Sgt. George Dixon (if anyone remembers him) in as much as they are effectively in a public confidence and intelligence gathering position. They have little paperwork to deal with so can spend more time on the streets. They are gradually being accepted for what they are but there is still relatively little understanding in certain sections of the press as to what they actually do. One national daily (Mail?) recently wrote a piece where the journalist stated that in one force area PCSOs had only arrested one person in over two year. That would put them considerably ahead of expectations as they aren't there to arrest anybody.

What they've often done is to arrange activities that keep kids off the streets, something youth clubs used to take care of. In my area they've attended at a pensioner's flat where the back door had been kicked in and a few items of sentimental value had been stolen. After the burglary two P.C.s took the crime report and a CSE dusted for prints. After they'd all gone the PCSOs checked gardens and searched bins and managed to find most of the bits and pieces. They took them back to the lady who invited them to stay for a cup of tea and biscuits. While one put the kettle on the other looked at the door and frame and rang the housing association to have a better door fitted and also got the Police Press Officer to tell the local paper about the housing authority's good work.

While drinking the tea the old dear started to tell the two officers about some of her neighbours' strange behaviour. "Them at number 23 are a bit strange, they get deliveries at all times of the night. Teles and all sorts of things. Mind you, them at 37 are a bit odd as well. On the sunbed all night they are. You can see the light through the attic window.

So that was a Receiver and a canabis farm sorted in one visit. That is what they are really all about.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have much respect for the police, it must be heart breaking doing all the hard work then seeing the CPS let people you know are scum walk.
Equally the general public demand they do their jobs and are exceptionally critical but fail to provide information which could make their communities better and safer, not to mention make the polices job easier..
Never had a real issue with police, I treat them with respect and have found that I have been treated in the same way.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I do think that some police are good. But you have to remember, they aren't there to protect you, they are there to protect the law.

Not sure I fully agree with that. The best Police campaign I ever saw had the strapline: "Protecting the majority from the individual and the individual from the majority" which I think sums it up pretty well.

Top Bottom