Frighfully Awful or Rather Splendid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I wake up in the mornings, That's rather splendid, it would be frightfully awful if i did not wake up.:okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Barring family loss..my last frightfully awful thing to happen was catching TB.
The last rather splendid thing....was just being told I've got £100 free credit from Bulb for switching to them as energy supplier.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Frightfully good one this; as a sideline to my dayjob, I've moved into editing. Did a book last year for a pal (who self-published) but have now picked up editing a book for one of my fave musicians! :smile: He's not famous himself, but he's worked with some very famous peeps.

My Dad came out of hospital to find the health support from District Nurse and Macmillan nurses in the community already alerted to his case - so what I thought would be a frightfully awful couple of days phoning round was a rather splendid two calls in 5 minutes.:smile:

TVC

Other than losing close relatives, which is inevitable for everyone, I can't say that anything frightfully awful has ever happened to me. As for rather splendid, well my wife ticks that box very well.

I always rang my parents regularly, so they wouldn't ring me unless there was news. And what news would people in their 70s have? I always dreaded the answering machine message "please call". I'd return the call to find a much loved aunt was no longer with us. As my mum was the youngest of eight, these were reasonably frequent calls.

So I picked up the phone with dread after one of these please-call messages, and it turned out my dad won a gong! Equivalent of an MBE, I think, and totally unexpected to him and me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
MrsP and I received frightfully splendid news just this afternoon.
Consultant confirmed that MrsP does NOT have temporal arteritis.
That really is frightfully splendid news! :okay:

I hadn't heard of temporal arteritis until last week when I came back from a bike ride and noticed some discomfort where the headband of my cycling helmet met my left temple. I looked in the mirror and saw that an artery had popped up. (I would have called it a vein but the information I found said that if it had a pulse, it was an artery; it did have one.) Googling suggested temporal arteritis as one possible explanation. Further reading led me to consider it 'scary stuff'! The problem seems to have gone away so I reckon the more likely explanation was what I suspected - that I had banged my head when half asleep. There are a couple of places in my house designed for the heights that most people were 100+ years ago. People less than 5' 9" tall wouldn't bang their heads going down my stairs, but others 6'-plus like me often do. I have now cut up some foam pipe lagging and covered the offending floor-supporting beam where my head contacts it.

It is a while since I had good news but winning £2,000 in a competition was rather splendid news a few years back! :becool:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Yup, this morning.
Mrs B's car hit by a van and (later in the day), confirmed as written off . Given the time of day and driver, we suspect, alcohol in the blood stream or on his mobile. Mrs B fortunately not in the car at the time.
Her insurance company, numerous 'phone calls later and still :banghead:. His had a car hire company at our door 7 hours after the incident, which was splendid news.

Top Bottom