1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frog Kids Bikes?

Discussion in 'Family and Recreational Cycling' started by Cyclone1, 24 Sep 2014.

1. Cyclone1

Cyclone1 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I've just ordered a Frog 62 for my soon to be 7 year old Son.

They seem to tick all the right boxes and are almost comparable to Islabike offerings but are visually more appealing (up to date). Plus they are priced below Islabikes (which I would have bought had I not been made aware of Frog).

Has anyone else bought a Frog bike and if so what are your thoughts please?

Jules

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I've had a good look at them but not owned one. I think they sit between Islabikes and the main brand kids' bikes, Islabikes still being the best.

Spartak, 400bhp and summerdays like this.
  3. Cyclone1

What did you base your opinion on as there is an £80 price difference between the bikes I looked at?

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Ease of rideability about sums it up.

We went through the whole range of Islabikes from Rothan up to 20" wheels. There was nothing at the time to bridge the gap between Islabikes - which were completely designed for little hands, legs, arms and strength- and main-brand child's bikes which were usually designed by some apprentice and put together from the adult bike parts bin.

If we were in your position now then I'd consider Frog as they're pretty good. The decider for you though may be resale value. You'll lose very little selling on an Islabike, whereas Frog don't have the reputation to command that premium (yet?), so you may not be saving so much after all.

400bhp and Cyclone1 like this.
  5. Cyclone1

Thanks for that.

Totally agree on resale, but only as Frog are still growing their brand stature (doing a good job) and have only been in business for just over a year.

Frog now have Team Sky on board to enhance their own brand strength as well as a sort of validation that their bikes are of a decent quality for the price mark. With this (Team Sky full range) I think their bike sales will rocket and will then be seen as the best alternative to Islabikes, who have had this niche market to themselves as a smaller none mainstream manufacturer.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out over time.

Jules

Mister Paul likes this.
  6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It seems that Hoy have jumped on the bandwagon as well.

I'm not convinced with the pricing. I suspect they're hanging on the back of Islabikes -Isla sells a premium because they're good bikes, so if competitors get close then there's an implication that they're good.

What we need are kids' bikes which represent value for money. Let's remember that most parents aren't bike-obsessed and that a lot of kids bikes will spend most of their time lying on the lawn so parents don't want to invest too much in them.

The Decathlon kids' range is a good compromise. We have a BMX and it's rock-solid and copes well with being chucked around and thrown into the school bike shed. I've bought Decathlon kids' MTBs for work and they're also very good.

Cyclone1 likes this.
  7. Cyclone1

Agree with the Hoy pricing being too close to Islabikes, plus limited colour options which for kids is a must have. I pretty much ruled them out on that basis. The bikes themselves do appear to be decent though. The Decathlon range is also very good as with the adult bikes they sell.

As a cyclist myself I appreciate that a reasonably lightweight bike is easier to control than a heavy bike for a younger rider. My son has spent the last 2.5 years on a Ridgeback MX16, which has been excellent but weighs a touch over 9kgs, he will be moving up to a Much larger Frog 62 with 24 wheels that is only a touch heavier.

Comparable bikes size wise (and price) from Cube, Ridgeback, Scott etc are all around or more than 12kgs.

Jules

8. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

Frog bikes are nice, but Islabikes just have the edge in my opinion. I can't say specifically what the difference is, I've not had two side by side to compare directly. My friend is happy with her daughter's frog bike though, and they are reasonably distinctive. I noticed one near my local Tesco's from a distance and was proved correct that it was a Frog bike, and I can usually spot Islabikes at large distances too (due to colour/frame shape etc). We went down the Islabike route as Frog didn't exist. I think a lot of brands are trying to catch up rather than churning out the stuff they did in the past.

Cyclone1 and Mister Paul like this.
  9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I read a post somewhere online recently from a parent whose child had an Islabike. They tried a Frog for half an hour and didn't appear to manage as well.

One of our boys had a small Decathlon bike to learn to ride on. He managed fine, but used to get tired balancing due to the weight and was fairly slow. We got him and Islabike and there was an instant improvement to his riding. Faster and longer, and he just seemed to find it easier.

Mind you, the OP is talking about a 24" wheeled bike, and at that size the gap between bike options starts to narrow significantly.

10. summerdays

I'm pretty certain her's is the 24", she rides it about a mile and a half to school a couple of times a week, and she must be about year 5 now.

11. noodle

noodle Active Member

aww i thought it was one of these frog bikes
    CFF41956-FD5B-4ABF-AA68-878B326DF7FD_zpsift1f8ug.jpg

Cyclone1 likes this.
  12. I thought it was about Peugeot's.

13. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

Weight. Islabikes 14" is 1 kg lighter than the frog equivalent (or about 15% lighter looking at it a different way). That's worth paying extra for.

14. summerdays

It is but the Frog Bikes are still worth considering if you can't stretch to the Islabikes. It's now pretty common to see them, if I commute down the Bristol and Bath path in the morning I probably see 3 or 4 regularly, whereas the Frog ones are where Islabikes were about 5 years ago for how often you see them.

15. Cyclist33

Cyclist33 Guest

Ridiculously overpriced. A marketing manager's dream come true!