Frog Kids Bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Replace Islabike with Brompton and any other mass appeal folder (Dahon, Tern, B'Twin) with,any other children's bike and you get exactly the same entrenchment and circular opinions.

Shall we all take it as point made and not needing repeated labouring that Islabikes have a secure place at the top of the tree but some people are willing / required by cost outlay *today* / have their own valid motivations to consider alternatives.

When I were a nipper I had a small steel-framed bike but it wasn't excessively heavy like modern child bikes, and all the components were child-sized. I see children riding bikes that are styled to look like full sus mtb but aren't, and have hi ten steel tubes that mimick the fat diameter of aluminium tubes of adult bikes. The weight of these bso is monstrous.

Triple3

I was recently informed that Frog and Isla were the same, the owners fell out and one took the online business and frog took shop retail etc. The frames are very very similar with just a slight weight difference and the islas have maybe better components but grip shift gears which i dont think are as good as thumb shift for children 5/6 year old.
No idea yet if this is true about the isla/frog stuff

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was recently informed that Frog and Isla were the same, the owners fell out and one took the online business and frog took shop retail etc. The frames are very very similar with just a slight weight difference and the islas have maybe better components but grip shift gears which i dont think are as good as thumb shift for children 5/6 year old.
That doesn't match what I've heard. As far as I know Isla came from a racing background. No idea of the history of Frog bikes. Islabikes have always sold directly from them rather than through shops. Having played with both, the Islabikes have the edge for me, whether it's worth the extra money is up to each person to decide but if it was me buying again I'd still go down the Islabike route. However the Frog bikes are still good. And anything is better than the junk from Toys r us.

Triple3

That doesn't match what I've heard. As far as I know Isla came from a racing background. No idea of the history of Frog bikes. Islabikes have always sold directly from them rather than through shops. Having played with both, the Islabikes have the edge for me, whether it's worth the extra money is up to each person to decide but if it was me buying again I'd still go down the Islabike route. However the Frog bikes are still good. And anything is better than the junk from Toys r us.

Yes Isla Rowntree, I was told the story they were partners and fell out so frog bikes was born but like I said no idea if its true.
I have an Isla Cnoc 16 which I'm replacing with a frog 52 or 55 for christmas and although the Isla is a fantastic bike it comes down to cost and the comparable isla is £100 more for a bike that will be grown out of quickly. I will not hesitate to buy Isla again once my child is older and the bike will be kept for a few years plus

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes Isla Rowntree, I was told the story they were partners and fell out so frog bikes was born but like I said no idea if its true.
I have an Isla Cnoc 16 which I'm replacing with a frog 52 or 55 for christmas and although the Isla is a fantastic bike it comes down to cost and the comparable isla is £100 more for a bike that will be grown out of quickly. I will not hesitate to buy Isla again once my child is older and the bike will be kept for a few years plus
Yes that's what I mean, that it may not be worth the extra.

400bhp

Guru

That doesn't sound true

https://www.frogbikes.com/press/founder-biographies.aspx

e-rider

crappy member
I bought a Frog bike today for my son - as I was leaving the shop I noticed that the bottle cage bosses were wonky - the guy said it would be fine once the cage was on so I took the bike. Put the cage on at home and in fact it was worse - the cage was 1-2mm from hitting the LH crank (the cage was not bent) - anyway, I phoned the shop and they said bring it back and they would order another - so another trip back to the shop (25 mile round trip). New bike on order. Whilst there I checked all their Frog bikes on display - 2 of 8 on display had a simialr problem (although not quite as bad) - looks like Frogs are not built to very high standards!

Top Bottom