From a scale of 7 to 10 how middle class is this forum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
As you Tory grandee once said " You can tell if they are only middle class if they have to buy their own furniture "

Drago

Legendary Member
Same here. Worked since I was 16, been a trade union member for 44 years. Not really sure what " Middle Class" is any more. Used to be bank clerks and the like, desk jockies, but the lines are very blurred now. I can go out to eat at restaurants, and can afford a decent holiday every year. I also ride a bike costing a couple of grand. What does that make me?

Class has little to do with income. Its about breeding, education, and outlook. Class cannot be bought.

MikeG

Guru
I'm well educated and, I think, well spoken. I have a professional job (architect). I have 3 good friends who are members of the House of Lords, another who is a judge, and another an opera singer. What class am I?

I have earned my living with my hands for much of my life, most of the time outside. I never received a penny from my parents, who were a nurse, and a draughtsman (initially). I have cleaned toilets, worked in a warehouse and for years on building sites. Yesterday I was rat catching and rodding drains. Some of my best mates are factory workers and farm hands, builders and forestry workers. What class am I?

Only the English obsess about this nonsense. "Proud to be working class/ I'm afraid I'm very middle class/ I've got working class roots"......no other country has people who say stuff like that. I look forward to the day when we give up on this really silly tradition.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
The forum membership is very male and middle aged biased too.

Not much anyone can do about it unless the mods introduce a quota system.
There is no bar on members from any part of society, it requires folk from those parts that are 'apparently' missing to apply...and you can't force them to do that so it is what it is by nature, not design.

(i know you know that of course, i'm just musing)

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hmm.
Privately educated yet living in rented house and currently working at just over min wage. I have had some very well paid jobs and owned houses in the past. Might do again. However, 3 expensive bikes to ride.

I have both black and green olives in the fridge, sun dried tomatoes and make my own bread, astra and soup.
You tell me :laugh:

Wow you made your own Astra! Didn't see you as an girl racer ...

Drago

Legendary Member
And you can tell class just by looking.

When you look at CC, do you see class?

:laugh:

I see cyclists of both sexes, of all ages and backgrounds. Even me, the Lord of Hougun Manor.

The fact you work has nothing to do with being working class. Some of the most worrying class ppl I know have no intention of working (hard) some of the ppl they know have no intention of working (at all).

Some of the most middle class ppl I know are the hardest working ppl I know.

Class is something different.

Do you have a hobby? Do you eat out at restaurants that you don't have to go to a counter or computer screen to order? Do you drink real ale / craft beers (aka real ale made the old way but with a huge markup and fancy marketing)? Or if a lady do you drink prosecco when out with your friends or a nice white if out with your family? Do you buy a new or nearly new car every 3 years? Do you go on holidays every year that don't involve all inclusive, that includes car hire so you can see the country you're visiting and you're not about getting drunk and sleeping it off on a beach? Do you have a dog that's not a pit bull type? Do you eat at a table with your family every day?

The more yes answers the more middle class you are.

Do you beer and fag it on your holidays at home without going anywhere? Are your outlooks in life limited to process worker in a factory and whatever the daily mail/sun/express/star says about politics is right in your opinion? You're probably working class.

If you're tory or rich Labour guy mp you're middle class or more likely upper class. If you're major union leader you're not working class.

If you give a $h1t you're middle or lower class. Upper class don't really bother.

Of course what does it matter unless you're a class snob. BTW those who claim working class are as likely to be class snobs as middle class.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
There is 4 classes in modern Britain;
The underclass - the Fails primary targets
The working class - if you gained your assets through work and they don't total into 8 figures.
The ultra wealthy - who cares where those assets come from just look at the gold.
The upper class - Hereditary peerage and up

Top Bottom