From couch to 600km (370 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
+1 for Wahoo not cheapest but worth it has every thing you need for both in and outdoor training and riding. As @Heltor Chasca points out it has live tracking built in.

+1 Science in Sport’s ReGo. Just keep eye out for offers they have they all the time. Great customer service too. Example last tub I bought was by one get one free. Only sent me one emailed same day sent out replacement. Though I did not know they had so emailed again and ended up with yet another one. So 3 for cost of one. :okay:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
600km over 4 days is not too big an ask. Concentrate on riding yourself into comfort on the bike. Hours in the saddle count.

From your posts, it sounds like you would definitely benefit from some more monitoring tech now. Look at getting a cycle computer ( Wahoo / Garmin ) etc. and a Cadence / heart rate monitor. Start taking note of your Cadence and heart rate, and how it varies over the ride. The key to recovery, after a long / intense ride, is to either not ride the bike at all for a period of time, or ride at a ( relatively) much lower intensity for a period of time. The latest Garmin devices, when rigged up to HRM, and Cadence sensors, suggest rest / low intensity periods of time, after you download the ride data. I’ve found it’s estimates to be pretty accurate. Work on getting your riding as efficient as it can be, and your recovery after a long / high exertion ride, should be shorter / easier. One good way of getting a more efficient ride, is to work on getting a more uniform power output during the ride. Fitting power meters is the simplest way of working this out, but without them, it’s not too difficult to do either. Your ultimate aim should be to increase your power to weight ratio. The rate at which you can do so is ultimately going to be limited by your fitness parameters ( VO2 max, Max heart rate, and Lactate thresholds, most importantly). If you can aim to complete your rides with an average Cadence of about 80 - 90 rpms, and ( importantly ) you are making sufficient power at that Cadence, for it not to be a wasted effort, then your ride will be more neuromuscularly, and mechanically efficient. This has been proven by studies, and explained nicely here.
https://www.active.com/cycling/arti...2489604936&publisherId=21181&source=pepperjam

For example. Ultimately though, do everything you can to ensure you enjoy the experience. After all, if you don’t enjoy it, there’s not much point.
Good luck with it all.

tom73

Guru
Keeping track of data is made simple with Wahoo app it displays all the ride data clearly and simple to see and understand. If you go for the ELEMNT the LED indicators can be set to light up as you ride so you can monitor performance. eg under , on or above your ave Cadence or HR. Will also tell you which HR zone your in.

HelenD123

Guru
Keep up the good work. It's amazing how quickly you can increase the distances. You'll need to make sure you can cycle good distances on consecutive days so I would plan in a two day outing before your trip. Find a destination a suitable distance from home and do an out and back. I was going to suggest heading to the new hostel on Hadrian's Wall but it's rather a lumpy ride!

On the weight loss front, I find cycling burns a lot of calories but you do need to be careful to eat enough to fuel you on longer rides. It's a delicate balance. Keep going!

You have been warned that cycle touring is addictive, right?!

D

Deleted member 26715

I congratulate you on your plan, I know it would be too much for me especially training over the winter, I personally would be looking at taking 6-8 days to get there & coming back in the train, that way you can enjoy the ride more, there will be less pressure & if things go slightly ascue you have wiggle room to adjust. 600K after only riding 5-6 months is a huge achievement.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have the Wahoo Elemnt which is just the same as the Bolt, but just bigger. It has been a revelation after owning an awfully unreliable Garmin for 3 years.

I noticed in the ride instructions I received for an Audax I am doing soon, it included the phrasing ‘If you suffer from Garmin Syndrome’. This alludes to their software issues and included measures to try and avoid any problems. Yesterday I was listening to a cycling podcast and the chap who was being interviewed spoke of Garmin issues too. It’s almost the norm to talk about the unreliability of Garmin, but people still buy the damn things. I don’t understand the loyal following they have.

Not a fan of Garmin. I am a Wahooligan.

Let's be clear, when people refer to Garmin problems they are referring to the Edge series of models. The same does not apply to the Garmin Etrex series of models.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As for training you will get big improvements just by riding more when you first start out. Get time in the saddle, gragually increasing distances and you will both get there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is a challenging plan, but doable if you build up to it properly. Good luck! (You could always choose to return on the train if you find yourselves
satisfied/exhausted by the outward leg.)

Or indeed fancier ones like the Oregon (which I use). Mind you, I have no troubles with my Edge Touring either.
That's interesting - @Littgull had endless troubles with his and eventually gave up on it. I wonder if there is some fundamental difference in the way you use them?

I have been using an ancient Garmin Etrex since 2006 and it has never let me down. Mind you, it is an incredibly simple device - it doesn't even have maps. I navigate simply by viewing a grey squiggly line on a blank background. I never know where I am by looking at the screen, but I know which roads to follow!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
+1 for Wahoo not cheapest but worth it has every thing you need for both in and outdoor training and riding. As @Heltor Chasca points out it has live tracking built in.

+1 Science in Sport’s ReGo. Just keep eye out for offers they have they all the time. Great customer service too. Example last tub I bought was by one get one free. Only sent me one emailed same day sent out replacement. Though I did not know they had so emailed again and ended up with yet another one. So 3 for cost of one. :okay:

Another bonus for ReGo is when touring I mix it with a bag of muesli then add water for a really nice breakfast number 1. Number 2 usually being a plate of fried things .

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your 57 mile ride to Corbridge is a good effort so early on.

Although it's fairly flat, apart from the last few miles, so not the most challenging of rides.

The first part of your touring trip is also fairly flat, I'm not familiar with the north of Scotland.

You will need to up your speed a little, which will probably happen naturally.

A moving average of 10mph is still best part of 10 hours on the bike each day, add some stops and your elapsed time could be nearer to 12 hours.

Arriving at your evening destination much after 7pm leaves little time to settle in and eat a meal, so you will need to be away each morning by 8am, if not a bit earlier.

You may have two spells of decent weather, but being up against the clock you will have to be prepared to ride whatever the weather.

Trying to knock out 100 miles in the wind and wet is a lot different to doing so on a dry, calm day.

Your touring luggage is also a factor, 100 miles on a lightweight bike carrying only snacks tucked into your jersey pocket is a different prospect to 100 miles on a loaded steel tourer.

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
If you go by Avimore or by Aberdeen ( slightly longer) both routes are less than 4000 metres of climbing. So neither routes are really hilly. Scotland doesn’t have hills just drags

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

If you go by Avimore or by Aberdeen ( slightly longer) both routes are less than 4000 metres of climbing. So neither routes are really hilly. Scotland doesn’t have hills just drags

thanks for the reply, thats interesting about the hills, was expecting there to be some really tough ones, which route do you think would be better, via the highlands and Avimore or going the coast route and Aberdeen. also what do you mean by drags, new to cycling and not 100% sure on all the terms yet.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
thanks for the reply, thats interesting about the hills, was expecting there to be some really tough ones, which route do you think would be better, via the highlands and Avimore or going the coast route and Aberdeen. also what do you mean by drags, new to cycling and not 100% sure on all the terms yet.
Drag vs Climb.png

Top Bottom