From couch to 600km (370 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Found this thread a bit late. Its a very inspiring story - how is the training going ?
From my journey from couch to 5 day tourer in 4 years, what I have found is that you need to fall in love with cycling - to get through the hard times. In my first couple of years I focused on getting fit for a annual 100 mile ride. The trouble is that riding became a chore as it was hard and hurt. Once I had completed the 100 miler that was it until the next year. It was only when I started to enjoy going out on the bike for its own sake that it all came together.

straas

Matt
Enjoying reading the progress!

Currently reading "the year", if they could manage 100+ mile days on unpaved roads with solid wheels, I think you're in with a chance!!

Try to get your fit on the bike right, neck pain can make riding pretty miserable - google shermers neck

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Hi all,

Well things aren't going to plan atm, my father in-law took seriously ill a few of weeks ago and my wife had to travel up to see him and help take care of him this has left us in a difficult position, we are on different pages with regards training now as my wife hasn't been able to get out at all with being 400 mile a part from her bike and to make matters worse had to use most of her leave to stay with her father in Scotland while he is recovering.

To be honest for a little while forgot all about updating this post with everything that was going on, sorry about that!

My training if i am honest isn't as far along as i would like, I can manage around 60 miles two days in a row with a full load, still around 20 miles short of my target. My broken finger is now set from my little bike accident and it looks funny, nurse said it will never go back to the way it was, my first cycling war wound lol.

Tiredness in my neck has been the biggest problem and boy is it different riding with a full load compared to riding just the bike, i have to hold my hands up and admit I underestimated how different the bike feels with a full load!

Its been a steep learning curve with many mistakes along the way, so many things I would have done differently with hindsight.

So atm we are torn on what to do, my wife has 7 days leave left but is quite the way off the training due to her father being ill and i am also behind where I thought i would be, so do we delay the trip, plan the trip one way taking a bit longer and getting the train back or plan a shorter trip this time, everything is a bit up in the air, I was hoping with me being a little ahead on the training I could carry both our loads, but i will be honest the 4 full panniers has been a bit much for me atm.

feel a bit of a failure atm, I really should have done much better then I have and I am disappointed my post isn't full of me posting successful training stories and the like, as the truth is the training as been sporadic and very stop / start.

Bikes are in for there service today, which was planned to make sure everything was ready for the trip, so it seems everything is ready but us hehe.

I am super proud of my wife though, with everything that has gone on she has done great and loves being on the bike, she even is saving up for a light road bike!
We have a over night stay planned with two days riding which will be our longest ride together to date, was supposed to be our first warm up weekend, looking forward to that a lot, I think after that we will have a much better idea on whats what.

on the plus side I really love being out and about, with a loaded bike I know I am slow ( slow on an unloaded bike too if i am honest ) going along at around 7-9 mph on avg depending on the hills, lol but I think I quite like going slow its a blast, something about plodding along I just love, still nervous on the really busy roads and prefer the quieter routes and cycle paths, but maybe just need more practice.

what ever we decided will keep you all informed, was even thinking of trying it solo, scares me a bit going solo as a newbie cyclist but it could be an option :smile:

My wife said I shouldn't have posted our plans online as if we fail we will look stupid, but I am pleased I did as i think its important learnt so much from being here on the forums and setbacks and failures are all part of growing long term and I really want to becoming a long distance rider, just love the freedom of being on the bike.

My wifes bike is working like a dream and she is very happy on it, mine has a small front tire issue, keeps losing air over night, the local bike shop is stripping it down to make sure the tubeless is working as intended, not the biggest problem in the world as I just blow it up each morning, apart from that again very happy with the bike, pity my LBS couldn't service my crappy body!

Thanks for reading my ramblings all.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
It don't sound to me you've failed it's more like you've had your fair share of problems and spanners in the works AKA life. Life has a habit of getting in the way and it sure can make you feel crap when it happens. My cycling plan this year is not quite panning out either. But just think about how fair you have come your bikes , the other stuff you've got and the roads are not going away any time soon.

So Just changing the plan a bit is all that is needed it not a big deal in the bigger picture keep up the training as and when maybe even take it down a peg if it's proving a bit hard it will come in time. Focus on what need's to be done now and what you can do now then move onto the next thing you can do ect and not on the big grand plan or it will just freak you both out.

Just keep going and carry on enjoying it and learning and things will fall into place.

12boy

Guru
If the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune make your 600 km goal unattainable at this time set other goals and ride when you can and enjoy doing rides with your wife when she can. If you had never started this post wuld you have gotten this far? Not only did you state a goal and try to reach it, but you've gotten a lot of suport and shared knowledge. It's legit to feel bad that it isn't going to be as you planned but there is no shame in putting the needs of other people above yourselves. I have seen many family situations where family abandon or ignore those who took care of them in the past because the one needing help now is too much trouble, inconvenient or otherwise a disruption to their selfishness. Good for your wife for helping her dad and good for you for supporting her.

it seems you're doing okay from here @chrismisterx: Life intervenes and gets in the way of your plans and sometimes that's a pain in the bum. I really wanted to have broken the Metric century by now but I'm still hovering about the 80k mark, manly because of a lack of time, because I've got other stuff that needs to be done.

As others have said, take stock, readjust your goals and enjoy riding and being together when you can.

it seems you're doing okay from here @chrismisterx: enjoy riding and being together when you can.

Sounds line you're doing just fine to me.

You won't do what you initially wanted to, but it's inspired you to things you wouldn't otherwise have.

Don't worry about the original target, just enjoy being on the bike.

Hi Chris,
I've followed your story from the begining, heading out with no brakes to buying the new bikes.
I think you're discovering what most cycle tourists discover at some point - plans rarely transfer to reality. The trick is to embrace the change.

I shudder when I read of people "training" for a tour. I get the idea of training for sport. I get the idea of training for a marathon. And I understand the necessity of being physically prepared for a physical challenge. But in my head training for a tour is different. It's not training. It's going for a picnic. It's going to visit friends in the next town over. It's an overnight or weekend camping trip. It's about the whole package - not just grinding out the miles. It's about getting used to setting up a tent in the wind, cycling in the rain, trying to slice tomatoes on my knees while keeping the bees away from my fruit. It's about seeing normal things through new eyes.

The quotes above say it all - enjoy what you're doing and remind yourself how lucky you are that you're doing this together.

And as for failure? At the risk of sounding like a motivational speaker, there is no such things as failure. We all have a choice about how we deal with the negative stuff. We can see it as a failure or we can see it as a learning experience. I've had many, many learning experiences!

Best wishes to your in-laws and best of luck to the two of ye. There's potentially years and years of bike touring adventures ahead of ye!

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

thank you all for your kind words and support, it really does mean a lot to us, to be honest without the support from this forum I think we would have given up months ago.

I remember being chuffed with my first 10 mile round trip, how sore I was, back then being able to ride 50 mile in a day seemed a pipe dream, but with the help and advice I got from this forums members I managed it and boy it felt good!

I think you're discovering what most cycle tourists discover at some point - plans rarely transfer to reality. The trick is to embrace the change.

what a fantastic message and the bit in bold I should get added to my bike as a decal!

I did shy away from the forum when things started to go pear shaped, thought I was going to get a lot of told you so, but the kind words and well wishes has really lifted my mood, I was so looking forward to this trip and i am so disappointed its not going to happen as planed this year, I knew when the training wasn't going as planned that we were going to have to drop the daily mileage down and take a couple of extra days to get there, from 80 mile days down to around 60 mile days and I was fine with that, but now that it might not happen at all, gutted doesn't quite cut it.

So in the spirit of embracing the change I thinking of planning a different trip same distance ish but an easier ride ( I think ) and something maybe we can fit in to the leave my wife has left.

So I was thinking the coast to castle route:-

Route Details
  • Route: Newcastle to Edinburgh via Berwick and Melrose.
  • Distance: 200 miles.
National Cycle Network: Route 1

Time allowing a return trip back to Newcastle, for a total of approx 400 miles.

why this trip instead of the one planned you may ask with the distance being the same? Well the idea before was a trip to see her parents, with 4 hard days riding a stay over and either another trip home or a train home depending on how we did, with her father being poorly she has been up via a train and spent quite a lot of time there and is going back up to see him in a couple of months with our daughter in the car, so the main reason for the trip, to see her parents isn't valid anymore , so now the trip will be 100% to have fun on the bikes.

So this route has a couple of advantages, I think the route isn't as demanding with climbs and such, its closer to home encase something goes wrong with us ( bikes should be fine lol ) plus because we don't have the staying with parents bit maybe the 7 days leave added with 2 weekends ( wife doesn't work weekends ) gives us 11 days to complete the trip on paper at least :smile:

Also there's the option of going one way and train back if needed and worse case happens and we have to stop the trip for any reason we are close to home via trains.

I was looking forward to riding through the highlands, I think that would just be amazing, but there's always next year for that one.

So i will speak to my wife when she gets home from work and broach the subject with her.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Good to hear that you are still riding, that's the main thing. As you see, there is always an alternative if Plan A does not work out. Now you have discovered the joy of cycling there will be plenty of opportunities in the future to visit the Highlands.
All the very best, keep posting and don't ever worry about being judged as a failure.

thank you all for your kind words and support, it really does mean a lot to us, to be honest without the support from this forum I think we would have given up months ago.

I remember being chuffed with my first 10 mile round trip, how sore I was, back then being able to ride 50 mile in a day seemed a pipe dream, but with the help and advice I got from this forums members I managed it and boy it felt good!

what a fantastic message and the bit in bold I should get added to my bike as a decal!

I did shy away from the forum when things started to go pear shaped, thought I was going to get a lot of told you so, but the kind words and well wishes has really lifted my mood, I was so looking forward to this trip and i am so disappointed its not going to happen as planed this year, I knew when the training wasn't going as planned that we were going to have to drop the daily mileage down and take a couple of extra days to get there, from 80 mile days down to around 60 mile days and I was fine with that, but now that it might not happen at all, gutted doesn't quite cut it.

So in the spirit of embracing the change I thinking of planning a different trip same distance ish but an easier ride ( I think ) and something maybe we can fit in to the leave my wife has left.

So I was thinking the coast to castle route:-

Route Details
  • Route: Newcastle to Edinburgh via Berwick and Melrose.
  • Distance: 200 miles.
National Cycle Network: Route 1

Time allowing a return trip back to Newcastle, for a total of approx 400 miles.

why this trip instead of the one planned you may ask with the distance being the same? Well the idea before was a trip to see her parents, with 4 hard days riding a stay over and either another trip home or a train home depending on how we did, with her father being poorly she has been up via a train and spent quite a lot of time there and is going back up to see him in a couple of months with our daughter in the car, so the main reason for the trip, to see her parents isn't valid anymore , so now the trip will be 100% to have fun on the bikes.

So this route has a couple of advantages, I think the route isn't as demanding with climbs and such, its closer to home encase something goes wrong with us ( bikes should be fine lol ) plus because we don't have the staying with parents bit maybe the 7 days leave added with 2 weekends ( wife doesn't work weekends ) gives us 11 days to complete the trip on paper at least :smile:

Also there's the option of going one way and train back if needed and worse case happens and we have to stop the trip for any reason we are close to home via trains.

I was looking forward to riding through the highlands, I think that would just be amazing, but there's always next year for that one.

So i will speak to my wife when she gets home from work and broach the subject with her.
Chris,
Can I make a suggestion?
Instead of pitching the distance to travel and the advantages of this route to your wife, how about you pitch the "experience" on offer?
I mean the chance to get away from the stresses of daily life, the chance to be together and do something together,the chance to visit Edinburgh (or wherever) and eat in this restaurant or drink in that pub or visit that museum. Pitch the things you will do and experience and feel, not the distance you will cover.
If you start thinking like that, even a 20 mile pootle down the road to a nice Inn starts to sound like a lot of fun.

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Chris,
Can I make a suggestion?
Instead of pitching the distance to travel and the advantages of this route to your wife, how about you pitch the "experience" on offer?
I mean the chance to get away from the stresses of daily life, the chance to be together and do something together,the chance to visit Edinburgh (or wherever) and eat in this restaurant or drink in that pub or visit that museum. Pitch the things you will do and experience and feel, not the distance you will cover.
If you start thinking like that, even a 20 mile pootle down the road to a nice Inn starts to sound like a lot of fun.

That's a fantastic idea, i suppose its easy to get caught up with numbers and such, i did something a little like this for our Sunday mornings, no one really wants to get up early on a Sunday, so i use the carrot of "missing the crowds and riding to her favorite little cafe and ice cream shop hehe and boy I love our little trips there now just as much as her, the ice cream is amazing!

Chris,
Can I make a suggestion?

I'll try that with my wife as well...

That's a fantastic idea, i suppose its easy to get caught up with numbers and such, i did something a little like this for our Sunday mornings, no one really wants to get up early on a Sunday, so i use the carrot of "missing the crowds and riding to her favorite little cafe and ice cream shop hehe and boy I love our little trips there now just as much as her, the ice cream is amazing!

Chris, I've knocked up quite a few kms touring over the last few years. With one exception I do not recall the mileage of a specific tour, or day.
I cycled to Santiago in Spain and have a photo taken in front of the Cathedral with the distance I had biked. It was a big deal on the day. I don't remember it now - but I do recall vividly the excitement in the square, the voices and some of the people I chatted to.

I remember the day I did the most kms ever -167. But not because of the distance. Because of the ride! The road I had planned to ride, a straight, flat road was forbidden for bikes so I had to take smaller roads parallel to the big one, over rolling hills and through lots of little villages. Far nicer than what I had planned - and far longer. I remember distinctly making the decision to stop in one of the villages during a beer festival, cycling throught the woods outside of Salzburg in the pitch darkness and I can still taste the chocolate cake and bottle of beer that I bought at a late night petrol station when I arrived. Bliss.

It's not about the bike - it's about what the bike lets you do.

nickAKA

Über Member
This setback is unfortunate but take the positives, it'll give you extra time to practice, prepare & hone your touring craft. As other have suggested do some shorter, more leisurely trips over the summer, the odd weekend away cruising taking in the scenery & stopping at little B&Bs, or even trying camping... it could be the best thing that you've ever done!

Good luck, I'm sure I speak for all in wishing you well.

Top Bottom