From couch to 600km (370 miles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
thanks for the reply, thats interesting about the hills, was expecting there to be some really tough ones, which route do you think would be better, via the highlands and Avimore or going the coast route and Aberdeen. also what do you mean by drags, new to cycling and not 100% sure on all the terms yet.
I’ve only cycled the coast as far as Stonehaven. I remember it being an easy route and on a Saturday , arriving at 11pm, was quiet.
Going via Avimore you’ve Drumochter and the Slochd Summit. Both easy climbs and very rewarding. Just watch out for a left hander after a bridge :blush: I nearly come unstuck there and I’m not alone:bicycle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Going via Avimore you’ve Drumochter and the Slochd Summit. Both easy climbs and very rewarding.
Yes, I can second that, I did both on our tour to Inverness, on a around 18kg tourer, plus 11 stone of me on top!
They are not the hardest climbs by all means, and I speak as a less fit than average cyclist.
Keep in mind, if you follow remote Scottish routes, that shops or pubs can be quite a few miles apart, make sure you have enough water and food to cover you between places where you can stock up.
This is easily done by consulting Google before you set out in the morning.
There may also be a shortage of places to eat or purchase food late in the evenings (after 5pm, hehe), again, check out Google for premises and their opening times.
If you are planning an evening meal in a restaurant or pub, book first, just in case.

Nebulous

Guru
When it gets nearer the time put up your route and we'll offer some suggestions. It is certainly possible to fall foul of hills in Scotland, that would particularly be the case leaving the North-East to go South on your return journey. There are also roads to be avoided, because they are very busy. The knack is to find routes somewhere inbetween, avoiding the busy routes, without going over all the hilltops.

Just a couple of points.

Firstly all the training / development appears to be aimed at yourself, are we assuming your wife is physically fit and getting to a point where she can comfortably achieve this journey will be easier for her?

Secondly although 80 miles in a day will be regularly completed by many a cyclist on here, to do it four days in a row after such a short cycling career I think will take its toll on you and the ride may become a chore rather than an adventure by day four.

Thirdly although riding with someone can help the miles go quicker and you can support each other if you are at two totally different levels it can be very frustrating for the better cyclist and very knackering for the one trying to keep up.

Not putting a downer on your trip just introducing a bit of realism.

Good luck with it.

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Just a couple of points.

Firstly all the training / development appears to be aimed at yourself, are we assuming your wife is physically fit and getting to a point where she can comfortably achieve this journey will be easier for her?

Secondly although 80 miles in a day will be regularly completed by many a cyclist on here, to do it four days in a row after such a short cycling career I think will take its toll on you and the ride may become a chore rather than an adventure by day four.

Thirdly although riding with someone can help the miles go quicker and you can support each other if you are at two totally different levels it can be very frustrating for the better cyclist and very knackering for the one trying to keep up.

Not putting a downer on your trip just introducing a bit of realism.

Good luck with it.

Thank you for the reply, this post is more so about my personal journey but I completely understand what your saying.
I posted a thread not so long ago explaining that my wife was struggling a bit, more so to get out on her bike due to work commitments and the dark mornings / nights. I have found since I have been out and about more I am a little stronger than her cycling atm, she has planned to do a lot more indoor and gym work the next couple of months with weekend rides and I plan to fit it more outdoor work, as not as keen as the gym stuff ( she has a sports science degree so knows what she is doing, or so she says ^_^ )

I have thought about the chore side of things and after advice of this forum we plan to do a long ride two days in a row, I think the Hadrian way cycle route could be a good one, its around 88 miles go west one day, stay over night, then come home the next, thinking about that in March, see how we get on.

If closer to the time it ends up I am the stronger cyclist for any reason, I would carry the luggage on my bike, which would hopefully even things out.

Fascinating thread, good luck chrismisterx. Do you know what tyres the Trek 520s come with?

Not Sure to be honest, my LBS is making the cycle run tubeless and said he might have to replace the tires with some that can handle being tubeless, so until the bike is ready I won't know. Also thinking about replacing the saddle for a brooks one, as i heard they are super comfortable, I was going to change the peddles also but not 100% sure atm.

This is a good book

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...MI85e67ueB3wIVWIfVCh2HtQbPEAQYAiABEgJq-vD_BwE

The author speaks of daily distances of 45-100 miles considering all factors.

Thank you for this link, looks a fantastic book, so have ordered it!

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
Glad to hear that you are going tubeless, I had a bit of a shock when I put thick puncture resistant tyres on my tourer, it slowed things down considerably.

I was in the highlands for 4 days last May on a similar bike. The scenery was exhilarating which kept me going but my face felt the effects of exposure after being in a headwind for a couple of days and had a tan on one side of my face and not the other!

I recently went on a trip and again my face felt quite exposed after a few days in the saddle. For future trips, I'll take a small tube of moisturiser, clear glasses and a peaked hat to protect from glare.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also thinking about replacing the saddle for a brooks one, as i heard they are super comfortable,
I hope you've also heard that they often take a good couple of hundred miles to mould to your shape. Until then, they're not as great, but still not awful if they suit you. I removed mine because the slight creaking annoyed me...

I recently went on a trip and again my face felt quite exposed after a few days in the saddle. For future trips, I'll take a small tube of moisturiser, clear glasses and a peaked hat to protect from glare.
Nivea do a good small tube of moisturiser - very thick so you don't need much. Aveno is another and there's some thick one from Lush whose name I've forgotten. The old favourites like vaseline and lipsyl are also good for lips.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It depends on one's derriere. Mine was comfy from straight away which is good because almost 2000 miles later it still hasn't got any mould shaped dimples in it.
I think the op needs to seriously reconsider these 80+ mile in a day loaded rides.
I'll admit to being a fairly weak cyclist and I don't really worry about endless miles or hours in the saddle as I can do them. But, setting up camp after them takes a bit of effort.
It took me around 7 hours to get from bolton to Delamere Forest only 45 miles away. I was absolutely shattered by the time I got there which meant it took well over an hour to pitch up at the site. Weather wasn't that bad that day either.
I really do think at this early stage in their cycling lives they are biting off more than they can chew. Start small and build up to bigger things would be my advice.

[QUOTE="Vantage, post: 5465647, member: 43718"
<SNIP>
I really do think at this early stage in their cycling lives they are biting off more than they can chew. Start small and build up to bigger things would be my advice.[/QUOTE]
Good on you and your good lady for setting this ambitious goal. Whether it's a bit much or not will be revealed during the training and if that decision is made, it would be relatively simple to reduce the distance by using rail to Berwick, for example.

Lots of good advice on this thread. I'd add don't introduce anything new when you come to do the ride it's self, ensure everything is tried and tested, including your wet weather gear - as was suggested - do go out and have a rainy day ride in grim conditions.

Monitoring heart rate is a good thing to do in my opinion. It can get very technical however at the most basic level, you can make sure you're not working too hard and wearing yourself out. You will have long days in the saddle and whilst the navigation isn't too complicated, I would recommend using a gps navigation device with turn by turn instructions in order to reduce time taken getting lost or consulting maps.

The East coast route is brilliant, I cycled it in 2017. It took me 5 days from Peterlee to Banff on a steel tourer with camping gear, my route was 625 Km long and 4700m of ascent. I kept off busy roads as much as possible so probably added a few Km of distance and m of climbing. I'd be happy to share my route if that would be of interest.

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Little update,

not much cycling getting done atm came down with tonsillitis and been too poorly to get out, seem to be getting a blast of every kind of bug, first a cold and now this, very disappointing, i blame my sisters kids, every time they come round to see us I seem to pick something up hehe.

but some good news, bikes have arrived at the shop and are fitted with new tubeless tires and are ready to pick up, soon as I feel well enough to travel there and ride back..

So excited to get the bikes home and have a little ride, but no point trying when feeling like this, tried the other day and after a couple of miles had to return home, was stupid to try too cycle when so under the weather.

[QUOTE=" I'd be happy to share my route if that would be of interest.[/QUOTE]

thank you that would be most helpful.

mjr

Little update,

not much cycling getting done atm came down with tonsillitis and been too poorly to get out, [...] tried the other day and after a couple of miles had to return home, was stupid to try too cycle when so under the weather.
Not really. The tonsils don't touch the bike. As long as your balance is good, keep rolling gently to speed up recovery IMO.

Slick

Guru
Not really. The tonsils don't touch the bike. As long as your balance is good, keep rolling gently to speed up recovery IMO.
Interesting. Last year I really struggled this time of year after going strong all year. I've always found it to be tougher when not fully fit, but I've never had the mindset like you described to take it easier than would be normal. Might give it a go.

mjr

Interesting. Last year I really struggled this time of year after going strong all year. I've always found it to be tougher when not fully fit, but I've never had the mindset like you described to take it easier than would be normal. Might give it a go.
Obvious caveat to my comments is obey medical advice. I think someone I know ignored it and made themselves worse but it was doing something silly like a 200km audax with a stinking cold.

Top Bottom