From Mountain Biking to Road. Can I get your opinion please Road bikers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montroseloon

I have always had a mountain bike over the years and earlier this year took the plunge and bought a 2nd hand road bike and it is well worth it. Still use the mountain bike as I enjoy getting caked in mud and there is a lot of muddy trails round my way. The road bike is hidden away with it being winter at the moment but come the dryer days it will be used as much as possible.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Not been on here for yonks but still been biking in my absence! Now have hybrid and MTB but need to complete the set! Anyone recommend a good entry level ladies/unisex road bike? I'm quite short 5'2 and don't want to be over reaching for the handlebars. Last time I had a 'racer' it was a Raleigh Wisp and I was 12! Can't really afford to pay loads - max £350 but ideally lower if poss. Your advice will be gratefully received!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You might struggle to find one but im not up on smaller framed ladies bikes.
A bit over your budget ...
http://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/bikes/item/luath-700-small
This is spot on for the size i think £200 atm
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/pendleton-initial-road-bike
Pendleton-Initial-womens-road-bike.jpg

triban 300 comes with 650 wheels in smaller sizes .
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3...l#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation
@vickster ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im g
Just looked on their site and it says £200. Did they have a sale on when you got yours?
geussing @Pompey Princess who bought the bike for £180 is a member of british cycling and got the 10 % discount from that as you get 10 % off at halfords by being a member , also if you use quidco you might get even more off.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Erm no...bit of a 'hoo ha' in store and they took ten percent off as a goodwill gesture for messing me around! Basically they sent me on a wild goose chase from one store to another to try a different frame size when they had the original frame size in the first store in the first place! My husband was not happy having driven into town then back out again and made his displeasure known! The manager discounted it for us as her bike manager guy had been a plonker in incorrectly labelling their display bike frame and not actually realising it!

Cambie

Picked up my wife's one yesterday for £200. Built it last night but she has the dreaded cold atm so can't ride yet. Looks a great bike for the money.

Checked Halfords today and they have gone up to £250. Phew!

I'd love to hear your opinion once you ride yours.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Glad you got it for the £200 price as I've just been into Halfords funnily enough and seen it up to £249 again. I think it's good deal. I've only been on a short ride so far but I'll keep you posted how I get on!

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Headed out for a ride on Sunday - just a very short one and chickened out of my usual routes by staying in the local park for most it! It was surprisingly comfortable, with padded shorts I might add! I don't normally bother with them but I needed them for this saddle. I quickly felt confident on it but I must have small hands as I struggled to brake when holding handlebars up near the brake hoods. My hands need to get used to the new riding position, I get that, but I didn't always feel I could get a good purchase on the lever. Any advice on this would be useful! I think the cables and stuff need to bed in a bit and I'm going to see my LBS to check my position and give the bike a once over too. I trust them!! I finished my ride by venturing onto the roads nearby as my confidence was improving and I was pleased with that. Another ride beckons this weekend (weather permitting...!)

Cambie

@Pompey Princess As a newbie cyclist, my wife joined this http://www.goskyride.com/Breeze/Index and attended on a wet and windy morning last Saturday. The bike was perfect and she soon found her confidence. The whole ride was on the safety of a local velodrome.

She has since used it on our turbo trainer twice and loves it. It's a great bike for the money. She's looking forward to getting out on the weekend and is already considering spd's.

She's 5'5" and bought the larger of the two sizes, 46cm. She says she can reach the top of the brake levers and operate them adequately.

I've ordered some new tyres as the instructor on the course said the existing ones are summer tyres.

Definitely a great first road bike.

Top Bottom