From Mountain Biking to Road. Can I get your opinion please Road bikers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadow master

Mmm, I've got the saddle as low as it goes as I am vertically challenged!! I have done all the putting foot on pedals, knee slightly bent thing and as such I would be amazed if it needed to go up! Plus I think I'd be a bit scared of it being any higher as I wouldn't be able to put toes on the floor!! Might take it to my LBS and get the advice of the top chappy in there.
If you've got the saddle right down,I'm afraid the bike sounds to big for you,being 5'4" you would need a very small frame to get the correct riding position probably 48cm maybe?

Pompey Princess

Veteran
If you've got the saddle right down,I'm afraid the bike sounds to big for you,being 5'4" you would need a very small frame to get the correct riding position probably 48cm maybe?
I'm 5'3 and the bike is a 43cm frame! I'm using half toe clips at the moment so maybe that's compromising my riding position a little??

Pompey Princess

Veteran
If you put your heel on the pedal, is your leg fully straight at the bottom of the stroke? If so, you should be around about right. If it's still bent, it needs to be a bit higher.

Personally I can barely touch the floor with the tips of my shoes when in the saddle, I certainly couldn't hold the bike upright. I always slide off the saddle when I stop now.

The other cause can be you've been pushing too high a gear. :smile:
I was getting my gears in a bit of a mess at times as I'm still getting used to the bike, only my second ride! So could be this...knee seems ok this morning :smile:

Pompey Princess

Veteran
AND....just thought I'd add that now I'm on a road bike, I get lots of nods and smiles from fellow road bikers! Bike snobbery in action or what!! ;) LOL
Felt so sorry for my poor Merida MTB that was looking a bit sad and forlorn when I got back from my ride, that I fixed the puncture (been meaning to do that for ages oops) and cleaned the frame and rims.
Then pumped up my commuter bike tyres too!! Back on this old timer tomorrow

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And heres me switched to a rigid MTB for commuting, its still not any fun cycling into a headwind blowing a snow storm mind .
As far as tyres go confidence is a big thing although cheap tyres supplied on some bikes as standard can be fairly rigid and uninspiring, i use either conti gator skins for commuting and the weekender has micchelin pro race .

Top Bottom