From Mountain Biking to Road. Can I get your opinion please Road bikers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mummy3monkeys

I have just bought a £380 rd bike from Evans, I am 5'4, and gone from a mountain bike, can't keep the grin off my face, love it, enjoy your new bike, fab looking btw:bravo:
I have found the positioning different, but then I expect that. Gripping the brakes was a challenge. I have only ridden it once, so with a bit more practice, will be fine, as will you I should think.
I am with you on the saddle too, as I have felt my bones even through padded tights, hoping that will wear off too.

Cambie

That's interesting what you say about the tyres - I thought they looked a bit iffy for the winter.

Would these be any good - Vittoria Zaffiro Pro II Road Bike tyre - they are on offer on chain reaction cycles?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-ii-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod126614

Like the idea of bombing around a velodrome...haven't done that since I was 15 at Calshot Activities Centre, great fun!

There are some great threads on here about tyres. I followed some advice from others. Worth a read through others experience with different tyres.

Cambie

Thanks - let me know how you get on....I'm thinking of spending silly money on Continental Four Seasons...

They were extremely difficult to put on. That alone has put me off them. She hasn't had the opportunity to put them to much use since. Will keep you updated.

Talking of tyres, I haven't had to take off my front gatorskin for a puncture in 10,000 miles, though I had two pinch punctures on the rear in about 5,000 miles, the current rear is on 4,500 without a puncture.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Thanks - let me know how you get on....I'm thinking of spending silly money on Continental Four Seasons...
Conti make great tyres. I ride GP4000s 2's all year. Money spent on good tyres pays dividends IMO, but, tyre maintenance such as checking and cleaning goes such a long way to keep you going when you're out on the road. Time spent in the warmth of home doing this is far better than fixing an issue on a grass verge in the dark.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Okies...Still like sound of them in terms of their grip and durability but a little worried about the getting on and off rims. I'm quite capable of fixing a puncture but if I can't get the flipping tyre off, I'm gonna be walking home and looking like a right plum!!

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Nice little 7 miler in the dark but tyres felt good and hands getting used to holding over the hoods thing for braking etc. think the tyres thing might be a confidence thing?? Knee a bit sore now - new riding position??

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Possibly, or your saddle height is not correct.
Mmm, I've got the saddle as low as it goes as I am vertically challenged!! I have done all the putting foot on pedals, knee slightly bent thing and as such I would be amazed if it needed to go up! Plus I think I'd be a bit scared of it being any higher as I wouldn't be able to put toes on the floor!! Might take it to my LBS and get the advice of the top chappy in there.

MikeW-71

Veteran
If you put your heel on the pedal, is your leg fully straight at the bottom of the stroke? If so, you should be around about right. If it's still bent, it needs to be a bit higher.

Personally I can barely touch the floor with the tips of my shoes when in the saddle, I certainly couldn't hold the bike upright. I always slide off the saddle when I stop now.

The other cause can be you've been pushing too high a gear. :smile:

Top Bottom