From the depths of a messy garage...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I was overtaken by one of those the other day. Absolutely beautiful! I sat up and gazed at it as it sped effortlessly into the distance.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Father-son bonding, eh?

My Dad and I did that; we built a virginals together. (That's a kind of harpsichord, before anybody gets smutty)

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Two bad crashes in one year. One resulted in broken shoulder blade and acres of road rash down one side of his body as well as assorted bruises. The road rash was bad enough to have a nurse come to the house every day for a month to clean it up & replace burn dressings. Just as he was getting over that, on his first time trial after the major off, he was cycling to the start from HQ when an HGV forced him off the road and caused road rash & brusiing on his other side.. That combined with, I think, the death of Zak Carr - who we knew and my offspring won a junior trophy Zak had won when he was a junior, the death of a woman cyclist we also knew, and a lack of support at club level and in other ways from those who were supposed to be supporting him, and it wasn't fun anymore. It's one thing your parents encouraging you, but that only goes so far if you see what I mean. So I think a time away may do him good long term.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Very sorry to hear that Waffly - even if he doesn't come back to cycling, I hope he's alright after all that - sounds like he's had a lot for anyone to go through, let alone someone of his age.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

From conversations, he may come back to cycling later - after a decent break. Then again, he may not. Who knows. But it's one reason I won't sell his bike stuff immediately. And besides, if he does stop completely I bagsy his Crosslight Pro3... it's the right size for me!

The thing is, we know of folk hurt in cars, on motorbikes, but as well as the two crashes he had (one caused by another cyclist in a road race, the other by a twunt driving an HGV), the other cyclist deaths are local to us, one of a cyclist still in his prime taken out by an idiot motorist who tried to drive off and leave the scene, but the other was a lady taken out by another cyclist. We weren't close friends to either of the cyclists but they were very visible on the same local time trialling scene.

I think it would be of great encouragement to him to have others of a similar age to him to ride with socially, but there isn't round here as far as I know. And when you're still 19, it's not much fun to be having to always ride on your own. He's way too fast for me and at 19, you really aren't overly keen on cycling along with your mum... understandably so!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Well i always have room for nice bikes:tongue:
Bit sorry to hear that he's giving up, but the crashes must be hard to come back from.

shooter560

Waffles, please please tell me it isn't so, you just doing an April Fools a few months late.

I really hope Nathan does come back, he really has loads of talent, not to mention the ability to ride slowly for us to keep up with him, he will be missed.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Waffly, it certainly sounds like a lot to cope with - I read a bit on the Zak Carr case, and it shook me - I'd imagine it's far worse where you have a personal connection, given the callousness of the driver involved.

Give my best wishes to your son - whatever he decides, I hope he comes through all this ok (I'm sure he will).

Top Bottom