From the wonderfull Warrington

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good response ratty2k.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to work in the place for 4 years...tell me about it.... some of the folk seem to have got lost between being a Manc or a Scouser......Warrington is completely knackered for cars though, with only a few road bridges and the motorway that cross the ship canal.....hence massive traffic problems going in and out, or through the place.....no wonder the drivers are angry ......

fossyant

Oh, most of my colleagues from the area thought that cyclists were 'fair game' - most having a laugh with me but you get the undertone....

Freewheeler

Just tried to register on the website, but the confirmation code generator seems to be broken. That's a pity, as I see plenty of RLJing cars in Warrington. About twice per week I stop for an amber light and am passed by a car. Their brakes are much better than mine, they aren't going that fast and they come from behind me, so there's no excuse.

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

I got rammed in my car when I stopped at an amber light, guy was really nasty till I pretended to call the police.......

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Oh, got a personal insult!
Whats the betting "repairman jack" is on the dole and earning a bit on the side ripping off old ladies in an uninsured white van? ;)

fossyant

Not being funny but Mr repair man is probably from Downtown LA - i.e. Latchford - (known locally as LA cos it's rubbish).. location - in pub....

The town is seriously knackered and anti cyclist - anyone been to the mess that is Birchwood - FFS long straight single carriageway roads, all 60 mph, then loads of round-a-bouts then more roads at 60...nuts.... no wonder I didn't commute the 30 miles to the place often.......

Get out of the town centre (i.e. pretty small really) and it's a nice place - loads of country lanes etc, but the centre (which you need to pass through to go North/South or East/West) is 'orrible for cyclists, never mind car drivers..oh don't forget peds that almost get killed on the big Bridgefoot round about thing.....

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

I'm unfortunate enought to live off Battersby lane, so know that RAB well. I got so fed up with traffic around Bridgefoot, I now go home (even when in the cage) down Gainsbourough road , thro the back end of Latchford and back down Kingsway for those that know the area. Much better bar one entry into another RAB, but much less fraught than the alternative. No wthe days are getting noticably longer I'll be going home through some countryside- from Daresbury lab up to Daresbury village, Hatton Stretton Grappenhall- then back into Latchford and home.

Freewheeler

Now the days are getting noticably longer I'll be going home through some countryside- from Daresbury lab up to Daresbury village, Hatton Stretton Grappenhall- then back into Latchford and home.

That is a nice route, I sometimes go that way on a Sunday morning. Riding up the lane from Daresbury to Hatton and pausing to look back across the Mersey valley, nothing but birdsong and an excellent view, descending at speed back down the A49 from Stretton; it's a good ride if you've only got an hour or so to spare.

That lane which crosses the motorway just beyond Hatton is very useful too, from there you can rejoin the A49 south of the motorway for a few hundred metres, turn left onto the little lanes near Whitley and thence to Anderton, Northwich and points South and East.

Apologies for the "Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!" but some of the Warrington locals may know.

I'm looking to get from Cheadle Hulme to Birchwood for a new contract. If I cross at Warburton, is there a direct way to get to Birchwood ie heading NW? I can continue along the West along the A57 and then use the road parallel to the M6 but I'd rather not due to the speeds.

I seem to remember a thread about a road then led to a farm track or something but can't find it.

Any help appreciated.

Top Bottom