Front and Rear Road Brake Calliper Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My front Sram brake calliper has collapsed and needs replacing. I have found this advertised. Could I use it for the front if I salavage the long bolt from the old calliper or is there a major difference?

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All those downhill KOMs causing brake stress. :biggrin:

I would doubke check with your existing callipers that the threadded bolt is the same length on both. This will give you the answer. The recessed nut is indeed different but I cant be sure of the callipers bolt. By removing both from bike you can check.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The bolt from the front should fit the rear if they are the same groupset, and probably any groupset bolt would be interchangeable.

Personally I'd transfer the bolt from the front to your existing back brakes to form the new front and then just drop the bought rear straight in.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Cheers Guys, have had a look.
The rear threaded bit on the calliper is about 15mm shorter on the rear than the front. I can strip it down and swap over the threaded post, but given I don't know what caused the front failure despite stripping the calliper back to it's component parts looks like replacements are in order. For the moment I have used an old silver Tektro caliper as a stop gap. Doesn't match the black Sram rear but will do in the short term.
Pete if you come across any decent secondhand ones on your travels pm me. :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
Cheers Guys, have had a look.
The rear threaded bit on the calliper is about 15mm shorter on the rear than the front. I can strip it down and swap over the threaded post, but given I don't know what caused the front failure despite stripping the calliper back to it's component parts looks like replacements are in order. For the moment I have used an old silver Tektro caliper as a stop gap. Doesn't match the black Sram rear but will do in the short term.
Pete if you come across any decent secondhand ones on your travels pm me. :thumbsup:

Solution

HTH:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

I have on my other bike, bit heavy for the money though init. ^_^

Top Bottom