Front brake options (disc/ hub)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I just damaged a perfectly good SP Dynohub* on my commute bike so thinking of replacing it with an alternative.

Commute bike is fixed so just front brake, currently a V-brake.

However it occurred to me I could get a disk dynohub (and new fork) and go disk brake on the front. Alternatively could go hub brake/ dynohub, SA make such things and they ought to be pretty low maintenance once fitted. Anyone using anything similar?

*You want to know how right? I tried to get the skewer out but it was presumably corroded in, had the great idea of putting the flats of an adjustable spanner between the hub and the QR lever and then closing the lever to pull it out. Didn't budge. Then I added a bit extra leverage. Didn't budge, the alloy of the hub did though- chewed it up somewhat. I'm going to remove and slather grease all over my skewers this weekend.

I've been using a high end (Ultegra-XT grade) Shimano disk-dynamo setup for about 9 years of everyday commuting. It uses Shimano spline system and has to be tightened occasionally to prevent the rotor rotating a fraction within the splines. otherwise, a trouble free system. I have never risked opening up the unit for maintenance.

webber

Regular
ive got a sa hub front brake on my pashley clubman fixed and cant recommend the hub brake enough cant comment on sa dynamos as never had one but the brake is excellent

Top Bottom