Front deraileur question (could be blond!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SPHDS

I have had a bit of grief with the front deraileur on my bike, it was becoming increasingly hard to shift onto the larger cog, and ended up snapping the cable on Sunday. Spent morning fitting new cable, and surfice to say found that the mech was knackered (strut for the cable bolt was bent, hence dodgy shifting!) Also the cage was liable to scrape the cog, so tried adjusting, at which point the frame bolt snapped!

Anyway fitted the front deraileur from my old bike, which fitted well and seemed to work pretty well - certainly better shifting! Only problem is that the shifter seems 'loose' - I have to keep on adjusting the lever every so often, is there anyway of tightening it up (they are just simple levers mounted on the down tubes with screws through the pivot) do I just tighten this screw!?!

Radius

SHREDDER
Why don't you try doing it and see!

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Could do, but then have done that sort of thing in the past and made it all very expensive! just wanted a reassurance!

PpPete

Legendary Member
You won't knacker anything tightening up that screw - but is there not a wire loop that you can twist to increase the friction? Some down-tube shifters have that (see below the lever in my avatar)

Top Bottom