Front derailleur problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dear Cycle Chat experts
Front derailleur issue... now, I know all the tutorial vids online, I've even pointed people here in that direction myself.
Bike has been in (not so) local bike shop twice in recent weeks, and it's really difficult for me to get there, so don't want to take it in again.
First time was gears and wheel issue, second time was bottom bracket. Gears were working fine, but today, went out and had problems changing front derailleur down... on the FLAT, it changed no probs, but trying to change down on any slight incline, meant that it wouldn't change down... cables are fine (nearly new), mech is in good nick generally... I can change down in anticipation of the incline, but I end up spinning like a madman...
I've sorted low limit and high limit, and taken out slack in cable (no barrel adjuster, unfortunately), but it's...well, I've explained the prob... any ideas? Must be some TINY adjustment somewhere, as it changes OK on flat.
smile.gif

gwhite

Über Member
On the FD the change from the large ring to the smaller is done under tension from the return spring. You should lube all pivots points on the FD as well as the cable. With the FD on the smallest ring position pull down repeatedly on the exposed cable as it runs down the down tube causing the cage to move over its full arc. Do this until you are sure it's moving freely. This problem is usually caused by the winter gunge building up on the FD preventing it from moving easily.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thanks gwhite, I'll give it a lube and a tug, etc. Hardly seems worth going back to lbs, but it's flipping annoying... did 60 miles today, punctuated by getting off the bike halfway up hills, to fanny about with the gears.

Top Bottom