front derailleur won't go largest cog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

laopi

Hi, I had a shimano 505 front derailleur, when the shifter in 3, it won't go to largest cog, stay in middle cog, the cable is tight enough, if I pull the cable manfully, it will go to the largest cog. here is pictures, who can help me to fix it?

IMG_20210621_183438.jpg

IMG_20210621_183435.jpg

IMG_20210621_183534.jpg

IMG_20210621_183522.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210621_183522.jpg
    IMG_20210621_183522.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210621_183438.jpg
    IMG_20210621_183438.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 6

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The cable tension should be checked with the chain on the smallest chainring, not the middle one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Listen to Uncle Smokin Joe's advice.
If you think your not capable or not able to fix it then pop it into your local bike shop.

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the 2nd picture looks like the cage is actually hitting the large chainring ???, which would mean the derailleur band has slipped down the frame a bit.

I think you need to check everything front the start - look at you tube for a "setting up front derailleur" clip and go from there.

raggydoll

Über Member
My guess is chain tension is too loose.
Remember that pulling it by hand isn't an indication of cable tension being set right.
When you click your shifter it pulls a specific length of cable to make the shift to the next ring.
When you pull it by hand you can pull way more than a click's worth so pulling it by hand won't tell you anything about cable tension..
Basically you can manually pull way more than your shifter can.

So I would say the cable needs tightened.

Reactions: C R

Mike_P

Guru
I have a bodge that conflicts with all advice I have seen for a triple and that is to use suitable block of wood between the seat tube and derailleur to hold the derailleur set with the chain on the largest chainwheel. Set the gear lever correctly and tighten the cable.

Top Bottom