Front drive ID problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

Front drive 1.JPG
Front drive 2.JPG
I am greener than the greeniest green grass so please bare with me.

I bought my first bike, previoulsy owned from fleabay... I love it! It is currently set up on a trainer and I am getting some time in on it to improve my fitness. I want to... over time improve the thing so that I can use it to get me to the swimming pool. Thats the background btw:

I would like to change the front drive but have no idea what the fitting type would be. I don't want to dissasemble it in case it doesn't go back together again, I am using it about twice a day atm. So ordering a new one requires me to take it apart, try to understand what it is I am looking at, reassembling it, finding something similar on fleabay, hoping it fits then waiting for it to turn up, also hoping I manage to get the bike back together again in the mean time.

Short cut: Any one know by looking at the pictures what type of fitting this bike has? There is printed on the crank arm 'Prowheel Charlot'. Honestly cannot find a reference to this anywhere. The bike is an Raleigh Airlite, six rear cogs two in the rear, two in the front. Hopefully when I am finished it will have a single front and perhaps an eight cassette at the back but hey ho! Ignorance is bliss!

Many thanks in advance!

Square taper

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If I were you I wouldn't just buy a new chainset from ebay or elsewhere speculatively. Square tapered bb's come in different lengths and two different standards, a wrong chainset for the bb will either clash with the frame or give you a poor chainline. If the bb is working fine how about just getting a new chainring?

You won't be able to put an 8 speed cassette on that hub/wheel. It might help if you also tell us what you are trying to achieve by changing the components.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
TBH the chainring looks worn.

I'm guessing but chances are that the freewheel (cogs at the back) and chain are also worn.

Ideally you should get someone to have a look and measure any chain wear and if they are worn then replace all three components at one go.

Personally I'd run the existing set up into the ground (with a bit of TLC) and then replace.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

Love you guys, thanks for your input! Put me in a bit of a quantry but great advice.

I think I am going with 'Personally I'd run the existing set up into the ground (with a bit of TLC) and then replace.'. Same mentality tbh!

In respect of: 'You won't be able to put an 8 speed cassette on that hub/wheel. It might help if you also tell us what you are trying to achieve by changing the components':

I would really like something that would make the bike last a lot longer, and provide easy and efficient maintenance. My vision is... single front chain set, cartridge with it seems six cogs, minimal maintenance. I will probably look to a fixie type set up in the future, but think I don't currently have the legs, or knees for that matter.

Thanks again everyone.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You've said it's six speed on the back but it looks like seven in that photo. Am I just being daft?:wacko:

If it is seven it may be worth taking the wheel out and investigating further as to what type of hub you have. (And measuring between the inside faces of the frame at the dropouts while you're at it - if it's 130mm it'll take a cassette type road-bike wheel.)

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

Thanks Phil, I checked it for the first time tbh! it is a six speed, I bought it as a twelve speed, two on the front but never actually looked to see. It is currently set up on my trainer and I am increasing my time on it daily.
I measured the dropouts, I assume that is the horizontal distance between the slots that the wheels axle fits into. It is slightly over the 130mm mark which makes for an interesting option.
Thanks again for your input.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks Phil, I checked it for the first time tbh! it is a six speed, I bought it as a twelve speed, two on the front but never actually looked to see. It is currently set up on my trainer and I am increasing my time on it daily.
So I was being daft :laugh: ..........
I measured the dropouts, I assume that is the horizontal distance between the slots that the wheels axle fits into. It is slightly over the 130mm mark which makes for an interesting option.
..... but something good has come out of it. Yes, that is the measurement I meant and the fact it's spaced for a cassette wheel gives you a lot more freedom to customize. Do note that that you specifically need a road bike hub on any replacement rear wheel you get. Wheels aimed at the touring or "hybrid" market generally use mountain bike hubs which are wider (135mm).

(For what it's worth, front wheels are mostly 100mm so there are far fewer compatibility issues with these).

Top Bottom