Front light up to £200?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I have decided to night train on quiet back roads. My cat eye XC not up to the job. I need a good light for country lanes. Fire away guys!!

I`m an Exposure fan, British made, excellent lights

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Two Hope Vision Ones (still at least £50 under budget). One will almost certainly do nicely most of the time, even on a low setting (I've hardly ever used more than the lowest output level, the top one almost never), but with two you'll have a broader throw of light & a backup. Superb battery life, and takes rechargeable AAs.

mustang1

Guru
I like the exposure brand lights even though they are a bit pricey. The only thing I dislike (it's just a minor gripe and perhaps more due to user error) is the screw that holds it in place on the handlebars always comes loose. But the light has never fallen off, and a quick tightening up is all that's required.

I have a couple of Strada 1200 but I only use one (plus another less powerful light). It my commute isn't in the dark like yours.

Like the others say, well made, good construction, 2 year warranty (at least on my one?). A bit big to look at and although I don't care where it's made, it's good to know I have localized support in case of warranty work.

Now then, I have to perhaps try one of those traceR rear lights like someone else above mentioned....

I like the exposure brand lights even though they are a bit pricey. The only thing I dislike (it's just a minor gripe and perhaps more due to user error) is the screw that holds it in place on the handlebars always comes loose. But the light has never fallen off, and a quick tightening up is all that's required.

I have a couple of Strada 1200 but I only use one (plus another less powerful light). It my commute isn't in the dark like yours.

Like the others say, well made, good construction, 2 year warranty (at least on my one?). A bit big to look at and although I don't care where it's made, it's good to know I have localized support in case of warranty work.

Now then, I have to perhaps try one of those traceR rear lights like someone else above mentioned....
I agree on the screw thing, I put a dollop of threadlock on mine, works a treat. Only a simple thing, but still an oversight nonetheless

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ignore the junk sold in the UK shops, get a sport hub dynamo and the brightest B+M light you can afford.

If one rechargeable internal-battery light is enough, you're not riding that long that often, are you?

I like the exposure brand lights even though they are a bit pricey. The only thing I dislike (it's just a minor gripe and perhaps more due to user error) is the screw that holds it in place on the handlebars always comes loose.

I agree on the screw thing, I put a dollop of threadlock on mine, works a treat. Only a simple thing, but still an oversight nonetheless

That's Exposure lights off my Christmas list! I'm buggered if I'm wanting someone to pay money for something that might not function properly!

Sharky

Guru
I love my Cat eye volt 400 and I use it on unlit country lanes though I'd be tempted by the Volt 800 @User9609 has it and it looks great
Cateye 800 - front light

I have a cat eye volt 300, which has been the best light I have ever had and was great for commuting on dark country roads. This is now discontinued and must have been improved to the volt 400, so this must be a really good light.

But have just been googling and there seems to be a volt 400 and a volt 400 XC, with the latter much cheaper, but it also seems to have a much flimsier bracket system, so need to be aware when buying. All my other cat eye lights have used the same sturdy brackets and are interchangeable and additional brackets are easy/cheap to buy.

Top Bottom