Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Both the lights you have linked to on Amazon are sold by other parties (probably by remote sellers in China) and only fulfilled (ie posted from one of their warehouses) by Amazon. I doubt you'd get a warranty from the sellers.

Regardless -- Anything bought from Amazon that breaks will get refunded or replaced if the 3rd party seller doesnt.reply to messages or refuses to do so as I am still covered by the consumer rights act and distance selling regulations. Im also a Prime member on top of that so they already bend over backwards for me when I have problems regarding things i have purchased which isnt very often. of the handful of times I have had to contact them, they have been very very helpful prime member or not.

dim

I've been using my cheap Chinese Cree for the past week ....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222324204398?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T

I'm using it for an hour every night on the low setting and on a headband and angled at 45 degrees pointing down

I use it for 2 nights in a row (2 hrs run time), then charge it with the supplied wall plug

so far so good .... no problems at all and the light is very good for the very dark sections that I commute on. The battery has not exploded

The headband is very good, but the light needed a cable tie connected to the straps of the headband to keep it from pointing too far down

for the price, its very good (so far)

I may look at getting an additional battery from Torchies as a backup .... ideally, it would be good to get a portable power pack and connect directly to that, but I'm not sure if it's possible, or if one can buy a usb cable that will fit the power pack and the light

Last edited:

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
Any opinions on the Lezyne 800xl. Was going to buy a 600xl, but a stock mixup means i can now get the 800xl for the same price from halfords with a BC discount when i pay in store.

Just check the run times, both lights are good, but you need to check there is enough run time for your needs.

600XL
lezyne-600xl-macro-drive-600lm-usb-front-light-black-lz1led4v304-lumens-chart.jpg

800XL

Macro_Drive_800_XL.png

Attachments

• lezyne-600xl-macro-drive-600lm-usb-front-light-black-lz1led4v304-lumens-chart.jpg
    lezyne-600xl-macro-drive-600lm-usb-front-light-black-lz1led4v304-lumens-chart.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Macro_Drive_800_XL.png
    Macro_Drive_800_XL.png
    7 KB · Views: 56

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
Well considering they will cost me the same price, I guess the 800xl is the one to get then.

Last edited:

wonderloaf

Veteran
I'm getting the 800xl for Xmas, think the duration's quoted will be OK for me but was wondering ... as an emergency measure can these lights be recharged using a back up battery bank, like used with mobile phones? Also can you use the light as they are charging?

Tom B

Guru
I'm getting the 800xl for Xmas, think the duration's quoted will be OK for me but was wondering ... as an emergency measure can these lights be recharged using a back up battery bank, like used with mobile phones? Also can you use the light as they are charging?

Yes they can...

I used have a 900xl, it lasted about 8mnts of commuting before it gave up. It turned out to be a broken wire inside.

The wire appeared to be of a silverish core, possibly steel and and was brittle rather than of more vibration resistant copper.

The unit was replaced under warranty without issue but I wasn't confident the same thing wouldn't happen again so I got a Cateye 1200.

All in all the light output is about the same, the Lezyne was smaller and neater, but the cateye has better mounts for cold hands. The cateye is fussy about the particular cable for charging with.

Top Bottom