Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrewwright

im looking for a good front light, one that lights up where I am going, bought so many lights which are bright, but don't light up the road, has any one any suggestions

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you're posting this in Touring, have you thought about investing in a dynamo system? Fewer watts than the Nuclear-O-Matic battery lights, but the lamps tend to be designed with better lenses and reflectors and generally a lot more effective at getting the light on the road not into the heavens or hedgerows. Also no worries about running out of batteries

Hope Vision 1.

Or,maybe surprisingly, the recent Lidl light which ran off 4 AA batteries (of course you would use rechargeables) rather than built in nonsense. cost not much over £6. I did the whole of the Dynamo on it so never used my Hope light. Maybe it will make another appearance.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Each to their own... but I own so many bloody lights that its quite often difficult to choose which one to use....

Here are the ones that ive used for both my DD rides and rides with FNRttC

Magicshine 872 - This was a great addition to my DD ride this year. I used it on the lowest setting in conjunction with a 6-cell battery pack and it easily lasted me the whole night. The beam is pretty wide and doesnt have a lot of range but even on the lowest setting i found i had no problem whatsoever seeing where i was going.

Magicshine MJ858 - used for my first few FNRTTC rides and also for my first DD. ungodly bright for such a compact light. Beam is fairly narrow and has a fair bit of range. I used to use it for my commute but ive switched to the fluxient u2 mini for now.

Hope lights are great bits of kit. I was considering picking up one second hand but i didnt like the fact that the lights had a proprietary connector which limits you to using batteries from Hope only unless you cut a few cables and modify it to take battery packs from magicshine or the generic ones off ebay etc etc

Hope lights are great bits of kit. I was considering picking up one second hand but i didnt like the fact that the lights had a proprietary connector which limits you to using batteries from Hope only unless you cut a few cables and modify it to take battery packs from magicshine or the generic ones off ebay etc etc
Nowt proprietary about their vision 1 roubaix.

Im obviously referring to their R2, R4 and R8 series of lights. I dont think the Hope 1 is quite bright enough for unlit roads if youre out there just on your own.
It is roubaix i assure you. A fair few folk on here use it for that. I have used jt on past dynamos. It has the great advantage of being totally self contained and uses AA batteries. Changing batteries mid ride is a doddle. Have also used it on a solo ride london to cambridge and back. All fine.

DRHysted

Guru
If you're posting this in Touring, have you thought about investing in a dynamo system? Fewer watts than the Nuclear-O-Matic battery lights, but the lamps tend to be designed with better lenses and reflectors and generally a lot more effective at getting the light on the road not into the heavens or hedgerows. Also no worries about running out of batteries

Second this. My preference is B&M lights.

Top Bottom