1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front mech advice

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by piedwagtail91, 20 Aug 2007.

1. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

does anyone know of a braze on front mech that will index with shimano xt mountain bike rapidfire levers?
    i'm trying to build a bike from spares for an off road tourist event and have all the bits except a front mech.
    i'll be using a deore 48,36 26 chainset. theers no room between the seat tube and mudguard to get a mtb mech on.

2. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

can't you take the mudguard off?!

3. It likely is a case of adjusting and/or trimming the mudgourd to fit.

4. alfablue

alfablue New Member

my SKS mudguards have a cutout specifically to clear the mech

5. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

what about using a bottom bracket mounted front mech? click me

6. OP
    OP
    piedwagtail91

thanks, i gave up on the mtb shifters and got some down tube ones with a tiagra front mech. evrything is running well now .

7. P.H

P.H Über Member

I know the fashion police will put me up against the wall and shoot me - But you don't need to have matching shifters!
    It seems a shame to me, not to use the better rear shifter just because of a problem with the front.

8. OP
    OP
    piedwagtail91

a mtb front shifter won't pull the correct amount of cable to index or move the front mech correctly.i'd tried to save a bit of cash but it didn't work!
    still managed to use all my other xt stuff though.at least with dt gear levers i can eventually get rid of the drops for lo pro to match my fixed. that should upset a few clumbates.:ohmy:
    should be able to sell the xt rapidfire levers fo get bit of cash back now.

9. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Are they 7, 8 or 9 speed shifters?
    I might be interested.
    I take it they aren't gear/brake combo units....:ohmy:

Cheers

Steve

10. OP
    OP
    piedwagtail91

sorry they've gone .i swapped them for some bars this morning,