Front mech friction shifter advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kmarkn

I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Just fitting new Dia Compe downtube shifters to my 80's Peugeot and the front one doesn't seem to have sufficient friction to hold the mech over the large chain ring - it springs back causing rubbing? I've tightened the lock ring fully but it just wont hold against the spring tension. Have I missed something obvious? Cheers

T4tomo

Legendary Member
is it the spring vs friction or is it cable length adj?

set it so derailleur moves as soon as you move the lever so its over/ on big ring earlier in the lever travel where is may hold better?

midlife

Guru
Does it spring back a bit or a lot ? Most spring back a tad and if so adjust the front mech so it has a bit more travel outwards and when it springs back it won’t rub.

Take it off.
Disassemble keeping all the parts in correct order. Place parts on a bit of wire to maintain order.
Clean off any grease, oil, wd40.
Reasemble.

OP
OP
kmarkn

kmarkn

Thanks all for your thoughts. It springs back quite a bit (cage moves c1cm). Feels like the spring is too strong for the friction shifter. I tried adjusting the mech outwards - I'll have another go, and also check cable length adjustment again. I could disassemble but its a new lever so it shouldn't need that?

midlife

Guru
Ah, 1cm is a bit more than a tad ! The friction lever needs sorting. Take the right hand side apart, take pics and check that the left is the same then re-assemble as per post #4

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The outer side of the cage should sit just off the chain when on the big ring.
Adjust the HiLo screws accordingly and cable so there's no slack.

OP
OP
kmarkn

kmarkn

I seem to have sorted it now. The innermost washer, with a square hole and a 'stop' for the shift lever, wasn't seating properly over the brazed on attachment. I've left it off and inserted a washer instead as a spacer, and the lever now 'clicks' properly with more friction. Thanks everybody for your help and advice.

This weekend I should finish my refurbed/modernised Peugeot PGN10 (see thread on Vintage and Classic) so I'll post more pics. I'm doing away with the brifters in favour of downtube friction levers and the original brake levers with new hoods. Thanks again all.

Top Bottom