Front Mech problem/question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Brand new Fratello picked up Wed

Soon after leaving the shop there's a slight scraping/creaking noise from the front crank, seems to be the cage touching the chain for a small section of the rotation, gets worse when the chain line is to the ends of the casette but always there, happens in both chain rings

There's a barrel adjuster that I've fiddlde with and I've tweaked the High Low stops without joy, the cage is very narrow and I'm almost certain that there's lateral movement of the chain as it passes through the chain, only slight but that's what causing it given the narrowness of the cage

What might cause that given the bike is brand new and not cheap?

ta

Chris James

Über Member
Have you tried tightening up the chain ring bolts?

My old 80s tourer Stronglight crank arm fouled on the outside of the (fiction shifted) Simplex derailler and was only partially cured by mangling the derilileur with a pair of pliers.

However, I don't believe this should be necessary with newer derialleurs and in any case if you run out of ideas then you should take it back to the bike shop and get them to sort it.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I haven't, I'll check that, that makes sense, ta

It's supposedly hand built by one of Condor's top mechanics, not awfully convenient as they're in the city and I'm not

Tynan said:
It's supposedly hand built by one of Condor's top mechanics, not awfully convenient as they're in the city and I'm not

All bikes are hand built!! but if the bike is cheep (s++t) its not going to make much change to the bike Cheep is Cheep.

But Condor's are good bikes and good rep. Ive not found much wrong with them even after 2 or 3 years as for A Top mechanic building it thats all well and good but if he/she has say?... 8 to build in a day its speed building Not pro building. I can build 14 bikes from (box) in a day if I need to but if I was going to pro build them it would be 5 or even 4 a day.

The best think you can do is go back to the shop and tell them to fix it. Even phone them and say that you just got this bike and it has x,y and z wrong and I just have 30mins lunch if i pop it in can you have a look there and then? you can get them to fix it for up to a year free (not ware and tear).

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
ta

I'll have a look for anything obviously wrong this weekend and then run it to them next Wed when they're open late, they're about 30 mins from me here at work

I'm ecstatic about the bike otherwise, just starting to put some effort in and it responds beautifully, looking forward to getting used to it very much, first drops since school

Top Bottom