front mech rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baggytrousers

my front mech rattles so much on the middle chainring it's driving me mad - it's fine on the other two just the middle - lately it's not shifting up to the large chainring every time and I suspect it's just worn and needs replacing - can I upgrade and use a shimano 9-speed mtb mech with a sram 8-speed cassette?

walker

just sounds like the cable is slighty lose thats all, you need to tinker with the limiter screws

betty swollocks

large member
Are you sure it's not the chain scraping on the inner or outer plate of the mech when it's (the chain) is being deflected onto the inner and outer cogs on the cassette?

OP
OP
B

baggytrousers

I've took the mech off last night, cleaned it up and relubed then set it up again before coming in to work this morning but it hasn't made any difference - theres an awful lot of play on the pivot and when I'm on the middle chain ring it rattles around like mad but when I'm on the inner or outer it doesn't rattle at all - I thought the problem shifting may have been down to the excess play and i was thinking of replacing it but most of the ones I've looked at with half decent reviews are all nine speed compatible and i run an 8-speed - would it really make that much difference?:wacko:

GrahamG

Guru
8-9 speed shouldn't make much difference. Has it just become loose where it's riveted at the pivot? That happened to me on an old cheapy, annoying as hell but nothing strictly wrong with it.

OP
OP
B

baggytrousers

yes it's the rivet at the pivot point and there's no adjustment - I think I've neglected it over the winter and maybe it's worn quite quickly - I could live with the rattle on it's own but shifting's not brilliant now either so i think I'll replace it - thanks for your replies

Mr Pig

By moving the mech around you should still be able to get it to work OK unless it's 'very' worn. Some of the cheaper mechs are quite loose from new. Try turning it slightly, not just moving it up and down.

Top Bottom